4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Been looking for a 5SPD 3 Months!!! Angry!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:19 PM
be the change u want2C

Been looking for a 5SPD 3 Months!!! Angry!!!

Man Ive been looking for a 5spd around the Chicago Land area for like 3-4 months now, And All ive came up with is 2 of them, both were over 90k miles!!! Its starting to really irritate me!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know a good car buying site other than cars.com and autotrader.com.

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-23-2003, 08:21 PM
edd

Maybe ebay? :meshrugs:
Old 09-23-2003, 08:23 PM
be the change u want2C

Ebay stinks, !!! There are non around Chicago!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:26 PM
edd

Just making suggestions dude. My best advice would be to check the Newspaper each weekend and see if anything comes up. Either that or go to a dealer. My cousin went to Brenner Nissan and found a used '99 SE 5-SPD for $11k with ~50k miles on it.

Best of luck to you.

edd
Old 09-23-2003, 08:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i bought mine with 92k, and i've got 103k now and i have no problems with it, drives like brand new
Old 09-23-2003, 08:47 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Man Ive been looking for a 5spd around the Chicago Land area for like 3-4 months now, And All ive came up with is 2 of them, both were over 90k miles!!! Its starting to really irritate me!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know a good car buying site other than cars.com and autotrader.com.

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'll give you good advise - don't give up! Keep looking. I was in the same exact situation. I am also from chicago. I wanted only 5-spd and only 97-99 SE. It took me a little over 4 months. Everywhere I looked, I only saw automatics! That was really p!ssing me off! When I would find a 5-spd, it was also with say over 80K miles and I only wanted at most 50-60 range. Don't buy from an auction...WAIT patiently and get a clean one, trust me, it's worth it.

Although people on the org have them, 5-spds were and are very rare in Maximas. I called schaumburg dealer once and they had told me to come in and look around. Well guess what, out of some 20 4th gen Maximas they had on the lot, I SWEAR TO GOD NOT ONE WAS A 5-spd! But I kept looking, and found a 99 SE-Limited 5-spd (super black) exactly like I wanted with 29K miles.

Forget autotrader.com and these other BS websites...it seldom happens that you'll find what u're looking for there. Instead, look in local chicagoland area advertisements. By that, I mean for instance AUTOFOCUS (www.autofocuschicago.com)...that's where I found mine. Also, beware that almost everything nowdays is put on the internet. As is, Autofocus is a weekly classified that you can pick up for like 50c I think all over Chicago. Well, Autofocus, like many other weekly's, has its website. Now, I would advise you to check the website, because it almost always contains the most up-to-date inventory. Also, don't bash it right away just because they don't got one. They get new cars every single day.

Why say all that you ask? Well, it's only an advise, but something that accounted for me finding the Maxima I wanted. .......Autofocus comes out in the middle of the week. I went on their site and found my Max on Friday (again...looked at noon = no 5spd Max, looked in the evening = 5-spd 99 Max SE-LIMITED), BEFORE it ever got to the magazine, which was released 5 days later with my Max in it, but already sold! Yeah, they somehow can't backtrack the pictures so it was there. Guess what, I bought it Saturday, but couldn't pick it up until Monday because of various reasons (loan stuff, plates, dealer closed on Sunday).

I witnessed myself that during that time it was on the website, some 20 people called asking about it, so I considered myself very lucky cause it would go any minute. HAHA, one guy came in asking for it on Saturday, about an hour before I bought it, but I already started the paper work on it so IT WAS MINE - MUAHAHAHA! He was my age (go figure...21), but he was late !

Lastly, check dealer websites. You'd be surprised how many times they don't know exactly what they have when you call them. They'll tell you that they have no 5-spd's because some loser answers the phone and doesn't feel like checking when there are really like 2 4th gen 5-spds in the lot. I bought mine from Continental Nissan on LaGrange road off of 55 and 294.

Wish you luck

Old 09-23-2003, 08:54 PM
BOSS

BOOOOOOOOOOOM! Here's one.... http://www.autofocuschicago.com/detail.asp?adid=1399195

It doesn't say if it's auto or 5-spd but from experience I know that if it doesn't say, it's more likely a 5-spd! Call and ask and keep looking!

Old 09-23-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
I'll give you good advise - don't give up! Keep looking. I was in the same exact situation. I am also from chicago. I wanted only 5-spd and only 97-99 SE. It took me a little over 4 months. Everywhere I looked, I only saw automatics! That was really p!ssing me off! When I would find a 5-spd, it was also with say over 80K miles and I only wanted at most 50-60 range. Don't buy from an auction...WAIT patiently and get a clean one, trust me, it's worth it.

Although people on the org have them, 5-spds were and are very rare in Maximas. I called schaumburg dealer once and they had told me to come in and look around. Well guess what, out of some 20 4th gen Maximas they had on the lot, I SWEAR TO GOD NOT ONE WAS A 5-spd! But I kept looking, and found a 99 SE-Limited 5-spd (super black) exactly like I wanted with 29K miles.

Forget autotrader.com and these other BS websites...it seldom happens that you'll find what u're looking for there. Instead, look in local chicagoland area advertisements. By that, I mean for instance AUTOFOCUS (www.autofocuschicago.com)...that's where I found mine. Also, beware that almost everything nowdays is put on the internet. As is, Autofocus is a weekly classified that you can pick up for like 50c I think all over Chicago. Well, Autofocus, like many other weekly's, has its website. Now, I would advise you to check the website, because it almost always contains the most up-to-date inventory. Also, don't bash it right away just because they don't got one. They get new cars every single day.

Why say all that you ask? Well, it's only an advise, but something that accounted for me finding the Maxima I wanted. .......Autofocus comes out in the middle of the week. I went on their site and found my Max on Friday (again...looked at noon = no 5spd Max, looked in the evening = 5-spd 99 Max SE-LIMITED), BEFORE it ever got to the magazine, which was released 5 days later with my Max in it, but already sold! Yeah, they somehow can't backtrack the pictures so it was there. Guess what, I bought it Saturday, but couldn't pick it up until Monday because of various reasons (loan stuff, plates, dealer closed on Sunday).

I witnessed myself that during that time it was on the website, some 20 people called asking about it, so I considered myself very lucky cause it would go any minute. HAHA, one guy came in asking for it on Saturday, about an hour before I bought it, but I already started the paper work on it so IT WAS MINE - MUAHAHAHA! He was my age (go figure...21), but he was late !

Lastly, check dealer websites. You'd be surprised how many times they don't know exactly what they have when you call them. They'll tell you that they have no 5-spd's because some loser answers the phone and doesn't feel like checking when there are really like 2 4th gen 5-spds in the lot. I bought mine from Continental Nissan on LaGrange road off of 55 and 294.

Wish you luck
I got mine at Carmax. I had it shipped from out of state. The transaction was smooth.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:57 PM
be the change u want2C

Thanx much man!!!, God its so frustrating, My current maxima is dope, BUT I want a 5spd, Why does chicago have to be so weird when it comes to stick maximas, man im willing to dirve like 100 miles to get the perfect one!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:58 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

haha when i went lookin for mine i didnt expect to find any 5 speeds around and so i drove out to st george's ave, this street has like 20 used car dealers on it, i stop at one place, see a 5 speed se, ok wow im shocked but it had been through some accidents and other stuff so i passed it up, drove down the road and BOOYAH! found the rosewood se im driving right now
Old 09-23-2003, 09:01 PM

took me over 6months to find my baby
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

man i feel real lucky havin found mine the same day i started lookin for cars lol
Old 09-23-2003, 09:25 PM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by nismos14
haha when i went lookin for mine i didnt expect to find any 5 speeds around and so i drove out to st george's ave, this street has like 20 used car dealers on it, i stop at one place, see a 5 speed se, ok wow im shocked but it had been through some accidents and other stuff so i passed it up, drove down the road and BOOYAH! found the rosewood se im driving right now
Where is St. Geroge Ave? Please Help Me, Im about to punch my computers lites out!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:28 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

oh crap dude im sorry i thought i mentioned on my post that its in nj : sorry if i got ur hopes up <--- u might just find what u want on that damn comp of ur's, have u tried the for sale section here on the .org?
Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Thanx much man!!!, God its so frustrating, My current maxima is dope, BUT I want a 5spd, Why does chicago have to be so weird when it comes to stick maximas, man im willing to dirve like 100 miles to get the perfect one!

I drove 400 miles to get mine. (Duluth, MN to Green Bay, WI...........Packers) think about it, if you plan on keeping this car for a decent time and find a good deal, there should be no reason to drive halfway across the country. I could see your concern "what happens if it turns out to be crap?" have other cars lined up to see and bring some friends, it can turn out to be a roadtrip.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM
DoGGy

www.autobytel.com
www.carsdirect.com

Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 PM

yeah yo...just keep looking...i found a 97 5 speed with 54,000 miles on it last month...i took me literally the whole summer to find one...keep looking, itll come up
Old 09-23-2003, 10:13 PM

I found my 99 se 5spd with 29k on it after about a month of looking around, and had to drive 125 miles to get it, but dayum it was worth it!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:20 PM
be the change u want2C

400 miles is crasy, But I am going to Detroiet in Oct, Ill go looking over there!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 06:33 AM
be the change u want2C

man o man o man....

Ive punched my computer like 10 times already, I need something new to punch, Anyone want to donate theres?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:00 AM

Hey man, I dont know if you are still looking or not. But I have a 98 Max SE 5 spd..with lots of performance parts I will be selling in 7-8 months. It has 72K right now. Just let me know if you would be interested. Check my profile for a link to cardomain and check it out. Laterz, and good luck searching.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Man I must have lucked out. I found mine in like an hour on AutoTrader.com

The DC area has plenty of them, but a lot of them are beat to hell from the heavy traffic around here. But I found my baby...43k mint condition out in Virginia. It was actually from Ardmore, PA but found its way down to DC through wholesalers I guess. Man this car rocks!
Old 09-24-2003, 07:59 AM

Took me about 4 months to find mine in Milwaukee.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wouldnt count out www.Autotrader.com I found my car within a few days and i only had to drive 40-miles, if that. A clean 99 SE, 5sp, Sunroof...what i wanted....

Eric
Old 09-24-2003, 08:32 AM

I found my jet black on black SE limited in a week in CarMax in the DC area with 60k miles on it. It has every option with no incidents on it's record for a great price. Keep looking and you will find it. Hold out for a 5spd, you will feel the difference, TRUST ME.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

autotrader's not that bad, just used the advanced search option and make sure you put in 5spd for transmission. I had to go from nyc to delaware for mine(200 miles), but well worth it.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Yup, the advanced search option on AutoTrader is really handy. Once you narrow by "manual tranny" that deletes all of that automagic garbage out of your search.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:08 PM
DoGGy

i was looking for a max a month before i became a member here. got tired after 4 months or so and gave up for a few weeks. next thing i know, this 98 se with 23k miles popped out of no where and went for sale 1 MILE away from my house. thats when i knew that i had to buy this baby no matter what

Old 09-24-2003, 12:11 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
automagic garbage

Old 09-24-2003, 12:24 PM
ivelweyz

mid city nissan had a green 95 5spd a couple of months ago. I was so close to getting the car except when I was buying mine(apr2k2) the car was on a sate tour to all the Illinois dealers. They finally got the car this february and it's been there since, I've seen it when bying my caliper bracket. I know the car was sold no more than 2 months ago. Also there was one in the suntimes in july-august. And here you go $50k miles http://www.drivechicago.com/search/d...&distance=25.7

Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

I must be lucky also... After I decided what I wanted I went down to the local Nissan Dealership and bought a '96 5spd with 40k (this was in 2000) on the spot. I haven't seen a 5spd on any lot since.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:31 AM

Hey Guys!!! It's sweet to hear that after long searches you found what you wanted. That's such a rewarding feeling. Well, I got my Max just by chance. I was working the spring and summer a lot, in fact 7 days a week from morning till evening (circumstances required so), and was hoping to save a lot for a car which I planned to buy in the autumn. At the beginning of June my old caravan (my first car) finally died and was not worth repairing anymore. So I was under huge pressure to get a new ride plus I simply had no time to look for it. Fot three weeks I was driving my friends' ot relatives' cars and look into newspapapers or on Inernet. I wanted a stick badly and something reliable, I was looking at Hondas and Volkswagens with $3000 bucks in mind. I don't know why but Nissans went completely out of my head and I don;t like Toyotas that much. Then once I saw on Internet this 95 GXE 5sp for $6000 and 88K on it. Next evenign I drove 100 miles from CT to NJ to dealer to testdrive it and fell in love right away!!! The technical condition seemed to be OK, but she was in few accidents before. Already had rims, tires, exhaust, tinted windows and altezzas.

I hesitated a lot beacause I knew it was way too much for a car in that condition, but the pressure to get a car multiplied by my affection was bigger, I borrowed some money and in two days I came to pick it up!!! Don't feel sorry whatsofever!!

That's my love story guys!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS

Wish you luck
Auto Focus magazine is free, not 50 cents! There is also another magazine with tons of cars in it (it has listings from the smaller dealers in and around Chicago). When I was looking for a car for my dad, I picked up the Auto Focus and the other magazine for free at Kmart. They had it on the small shelves right when you're about to leave the store.

Not a lot of people in and around Chicago know how to drive a stick
Old 09-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Conecarver

Keep looking - one will turn up somewhere. When you do find it I'll bet ya anything I'll be black in color.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:22 PM

I found mine on autotrader too. It was in my city so i didn't drive far. I got it for 9g's at 59K miles. The car had been sitting there for months. I guess no one like shift stick maximas in s. cali.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:36 PM
brotherhood of tq

sad to hear that it took you and others so long to find the maxima of their choice. I got lucky and found mine while i was looking for another car. Maybe BOSS had bad luck wit an auction but thats where i found my 98 5-spd ( and yes it came black) while i was looking to blow my tiburon down payment and something that was quick n could carry more than 2 people. Also my car was a ****ing steal at $4,900 and the only thing wrong wit it was that it had a flat tire. So my advice, and listen if you want, is to look out side of your state and check some repo auctions (not police auctions cause there is a big difference in the condition of the cars), cause i live in jersey but i got my car in long island new york