Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   OK, quickly...what setup would YOU go with? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/192844-ok-quickly-what-setup-would-you-go.html)

BOSS 11-20-2003 02:00 AM

OK, quickly...what setup would YOU go with?

Alright, I'm ready for a new suspension. Now listen to me very carefully - I want the softest possible setup, THAT WILL STILL PERFORM very well on the street in terms of handling etc. What do u suggest and why?

Defacto 11-20-2003 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by BOSS
Alright, I'm ready for a new suspension. Now listen to me very carefully - I want the softest possible setup, THAT WILL STILL PERFORM very well on the street in terms of handling etc. What do u suggest and why?

You live in Chi-town. AGXes get harsh in cold weather. Real harsh. In short, get yourself Konis or Illuminas. The setup that i'm going to be getting shortly is going to have Tein S-tech springs (the nicest, best riding, most even looking drop of all, see threads about it) and either Illuminas all around or Konis in the front w/Illuminas in the rear. That's what i'd reccomend. AGXes are good, but not for where you live and what comfort level you're talking about. BTW, if you want max comfort but still want good handling and a decent drop, H&Rs are probably your best bet.

BEJAY1 11-20-2003 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Defacto
You live in Chi-town. AGXes get harsh in cold weather. Real harsh. In short, get yourself Konis or Illuminas. The setup that i'm going to be getting shortly is going to have Tein S-tech springs (the nicest, best riding, most even looking drop of all, see threads about it) and either Illuminas all around or Konis in the front w/Illuminas in the rear. That's what i'd reccomend. AGXes are good, but not for where you live and what comfort level you're talking about. BTW, if you want max comfort but still want good handling and a decent drop, H&Rs are probably your best bet.

The Koni Sports get harsh in winter too. There's a definate difference between the warm and cold ride. Don't know what to tell ya.

Defacto 11-20-2003 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
The Koni Sports get harsh in winter too. There's a definate difference between the warm and cold ride. Don't know what to tell ya.

Guess that decides it then. I had heard that about Konis before, but the occurence of ill behavior in bad weather seemed to be much more rare and inconsistant than AGXes. However, now i know, i'll just do things right. Also, what money i'd save by buying the front Konis would probably be lost again on the install. I hear they're a nightmare to install when compared to other struts.

mzmtg 11-20-2003 05:06 AM

H&R springs with Illumina struts or stock springs with Illumina struts and an RSB.

Defacto 11-20-2003 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
H&R springs with Illumina struts or stock springs with Illumina struts and an RSB.

If i hadn't started reading such great things about the S.tech/illumina combo regarding their great handling charachteristics, their relative comfort considering their great handling, the perfect drop, and especially after seeing a car dropped on them, i would've gotten H&Rs. It was just the frugality and AutoXer in me that made me instinctively look at the Koni fronts, however i hear nothing bad about illuminas, and certain negatives about the Konis. I'll also be adding some lightweight 18 or 19s w/245+ Z-rubber, an Addco RSB, and a courtesy FSTB since they started making them again. Will i need new bumpstops/dustboots/bushings or anything else to that effect in order to bring that setup to its' maximum potential? Also, after all this is done, i will probably buy a Warpspeed Stage II X-brace. My car already has plenty of go, but to rule around here, you gotta handle, it's more important than all out HP. From what I hear, the Illumina/S-tech setup is excellent, arguably the best spring/shock if you are a real hard road course driver but still want some comfort for the occasional ride with the family. The next step up are the JIC coilover systems, and, while they look amazing, the quality is always the best, and they're adjustable to no end, i'm not ready to fork out 1700 bucks for it up front, and have to wait for them, since i highly doubt that anybody stocks them.

Ceasars Chariot 11-20-2003 05:57 AM

kyb's and e's

just set them soft :thumbsup:

Defacto 11-20-2003 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
kyb's and e's

just set them soft :thumbsup:

Again, living in an area that gets wickedly cold, i'd steer clear of AGXes, because they still ride hard even at their softest setting. It's just their design. If he (or I) lived in miami, i'd prolly get AGXes, but that's not the case. Eibach springs would be at the tippy top of my list, but

(1) i have to drive my sister around a fair amount, as well as my GF, and my sister is extremely carsick prone and anal about bumpy rides. My GF likes cars, but i'm self conscious about her comfort.

(2) Based on the way that certain cars are setup (ones that I like), the eibach/AGX combo would be wickedly hard. Why do i say that? Most people go lighter on their struts with the Eibachs. If you look at the way that all BMWs (especially M-cars) and Porsche suspensions are tuned, their springs aren't particularly beefy. Well, they're not beefy relative to the struts. The cars handle the way they do because they have a much heavier bias toward strut stiffness. Nothing's wrong with stiff springs. It's just that in order for the car to behave similar to those cars, i'd have to kick up the shocks all the way. Also, the Lb rating of the S-techs are perfect, especially if you're like me and go with harder strut valving. If you're going with HPs, one might find them weak. The only issue one might have with them is the low drop, however, i don't hear many people having rubbing issues.

happyricefob 11-20-2003 06:37 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php

and

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaHandling

Jeff92se 11-20-2003 09:58 AM

stock. dsadsafdsaf

nadir_s 11-20-2003 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
stock. dsadsafdsaf

w/ RSB, FSTB, and maybe wider wheels + super soft tires.

deezo 11-20-2003 10:06 AM

Again, living in an area that gets wickedly cold, i'd steer clear of AGXes, because they still ride hard even at their softest setting. It's just their design. If he (or I) lived in miami, i'd prolly get AGXes, but that's not the case. Eibach springs would be at the tippy top of my list, but

I'm in MA and it gets very cold here too. The rear AGX's get get nice and soft but the fronts are the ones that get stiffer and can't be adjusted much. I have the AGX's and its stiff but I like the ride.

Defacto 11-20-2003 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
I'm in MA and it gets very cold here too. The rear AGX's get get nice and soft but the fronts are the ones that get stiffer and can't be adjusted much. I have the AGX's and its stiff but I like the ride.

What springs are you running?

JeffesonM 11-20-2003 11:05 AM

Tokico Illumina shocks and Progress springs.

Handles like it's lowered, rides like it's not.

Defacto 11-20-2003 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM

another setup i've heard good things about....

BOSS 11-20-2003 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg

Ok, first off, will the setup with stock springs and illumina struts still drop my car at least an inch or so? If so, will the stock springs be able to handle the intensity of the illumina struts just fine?

I want my car to be dropped at most 1.5'' and at least 1.0''.

Jeff92se 11-20-2003 11:44 AM

Ummm how will the car be lowered any with STOCK springs??

Originally Posted by BOSS
Ok, first off, will the setup with stock springs and illumina struts still drop my car at least an inch or so? If so, will the stock springs be able to handle the intensity of the illumina struts just fine?

I want my car to be dropped at most 1.5'' and at least 1.0''.

deezo 11-20-2003 11:47 AM

What springs are you running?

H&R...................

voltman 11-20-2003 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Ummm how will the car be lowered any with STOCK springs??

I think he should be more worried about blowing out the stock springs.

deezo 11-20-2003 12:15 PM

How do you blow out springs?

BOSS 11-20-2003 12:16 PM

seems that H&R springs with illuminas will do quite well based on the feedback I received here. Thanks.

Jeff92se 11-20-2003 12:17 PM

He should be fine provided he adjusts the O-spring correctly

Originally Posted by voltman
I think he should be more worried about blowing out the stock springs.

Street Reeper 11-20-2003 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM

:nod:

JSutter 11-20-2003 06:29 PM

You definetly want Illuminas. springs on the other hand....that's tough, def. not eibach since they're stiff, but H&R, Tokico, or Progress will do you fine. Have you been here: http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaSprings

MrDicks95SE 11-20-2003 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
How do you blow out springs?

heheh. "shocks" :grinno: