Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Freezing cold out and car won't start. (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/195153-freezing-cold-out-car-wont-start.html)

eelcram 12-03-2003 07:42 AM

Freezing cold out and car won't start.

Does anybody know y my car won't start?? It's not the battery. Everything turns on, but the car just won't turn over.:rotz: Something must've frozen over or something. I just can't figure out what. Can anyone help me with this problem?? Thanks.

maxcross 12-03-2003 07:54 AM

is it attempting to start, and just sits there turning, or are you getting no function from the starter?

eelcram 12-03-2003 08:17 AM

It seems like it's trying to crank, cause I hear a turning sound. But the whole car won't turn over.

Defacto 12-03-2003 08:20 AM

it was so ******* cold this morning, i wouldn't be surprised if it's just the weather...

PoePoe2797 12-03-2003 08:33 AM

Yup yup....18 degrees here. Try pressing the gas 1/3 the way down, and then try starting. This should give it a good amount of "kick" to start in cold weather.

Hey dude, I live in Newington, right on the WH border...if you want I can stop by and help ya out if your having trouble. IM me on AIM: PoePoe2797

johnnyo319 12-03-2003 09:40 AM

My gf's max has the same problem.. She gives it a little gas and it starts.. Anyone know what is causing this?? Her dad said it had something to do with the fuel lines or injectors? Is that true?

DaddyMac 12-03-2003 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by eelcram
It seems like it's trying to crank, cause I hear a turning sound. But the whole car won't turn over.

trust me you don't want "the whole car to turn over".
1-if the starter is good, the engine will turn. if so,
2-prime the fuel system.
:deezo:

Redmax 12-03-2003 12:50 PM

your battery might have power, but not enough cold cranking amps for how cold it is , get a jump and then try again

Kevlo911 12-03-2003 01:16 PM

put the key in the "on" position(dash lights up) for 15 sec and then try to start

JBza 12-03-2003 03:04 PM

Im having the same problem. Ever since it started to get really cold the max wont even turn over if it has sat for a while. I have to wait 15-20 seconds before the motor will turn over.

Nismo3112 12-03-2003 05:48 PM

Try cleaning the TB, this was the case for me.

closerpat@hotmail.com 02-24-2009 07:03 PM

Maxima wont start in the cold

What exactly is a "TB" - sorry but I"m new at this and having the same problem, have tried everything, car just cranks but won't start, appreciate the help!

Originally Posted by Nismo3112 (Post 1990928)
Try cleaning the TB, this was the case for me.

Leo_Koneval 02-24-2009 07:09 PM

Yeah my car is experiencing some of the more minor issues, like after it starts the RPM would all of a sudden drop and then go back up in the cold.

I would really love some input on this but I discovered that after you turn your key to ACC where all the lights are on, and then turn the key very slowly to START the car will start a lot faster compared to turning it fast. When I experimented one day and turned it extra slow the engine seemed like it flooded or something and would not start, and it took several tries before it started again, and since then I abandoned messing with the key. But does turning the key from ACC to start differently actually affect how your car starts? Sorry for asking a question in another person's thread.

komik 02-24-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by closerpat@hotmail.com (Post 6891734)
What exactly is a "TB" - sorry but I"m new at this and having the same problem, have tried everything, car just cranks but won't start, appreciate the help!

TB = Throttle Body. It's at the end of the black hose opposite your airbox (or other intake). Loosen the hose clamp and pull the hose off and you'll see something like this:

http://www.iwdwebdesign.com/maxima/T...edTBspacer.JPG

Link: Cleaning Throttle Bodies

ajm8127 02-24-2009 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911 (Post 1990459)
put the key in the "on" position(dash lights up) for 15 sec and then try to start

To build fuel pressure?

I am interested because I notice in the cold, mine also has trouble starting.

x X CLoud X x 02-24-2009 09:39 PM

this is a very common problem in alot of maxi's, for some reason the car struggles to turn on in freezing cold

for me i just give it slight gas as im turning it on, and it works everytime, on normal days it just turns on fine

trand71 02-24-2009 10:44 PM

I've had the same problem in my car (last years winter it was -40 degrees). - since then i've added HEET to the gas tank and it cranks right up. You can get that at Wally World or any auto parts store. Add it to each fill up or so and you should be good.....

Bjs470 02-24-2009 11:39 PM

Man I hate when that happens

swatspyder 02-25-2009 07:12 AM

from what other people have mentioned, it might be the gaskets shrinking in the cold and throwing off the fuel to air ratio

The Godfather 02-25-2009 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval (Post 6891744)
Yeah my car is experiencing some of the more minor issues, like after it starts the RPM would all of a sudden drop and then go back up in the cold.

I would really love some input on this but I discovered that after you turn your key to ACC where all the lights are on, and then turn the key very slowly to START the car will start a lot faster compared to turning it fast. When I experimented one day and turned it extra slow the engine seemed like it flooded or something and would not start, and it took several tries before it started again, and since then I abandoned messing with the key. But does turning the key from ACC to start differently actually affect how your car starts? Sorry for asking a question in another person's thread.

I think you are referring to the "ON" position. At this position, the fuel pump activates, and since you wait for a few seconds you can hear the fuel system priming. Hence, why you possibly get a better start rather than cranking the key straight to start. Just a thought.

wcs1885 02-26-2009 06:57 PM

I have a 1996 Maxima & I have issues during the cold winter days that it won't start up. Just give it a little gas and it should be fine. Personally, I turn it to the "on" and let it go "beep beep beep" for a few and then turn it over. My dad says it's probably the battery or starter. I don't know... but I've changed the battery a few times too.