Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   UPRD ECU, can you go back to regular programming (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/19705-uprd-ecu-can-you-go-back-regular-programming.html)

ajaffee 02-27-2001 12:46 PM

I've been thinking about this ECU thing. As I understand it, you have to send in your original ECU for re-programming. Is this right? If so, suppose you want to go back to the original factory programming? Is getting an ECU from a junked Maxima an option.
Or maybe I'm totally wrong about this whole thing.

OgreDave 02-27-2001 02:22 PM

Yah

Originally posted by ajaffee
I've been thinking about this ECU thing. As I understand it, you have to send in your original ECU for re-programming. Is this right? If so, suppose you want to go back to the original factory programming? Is getting an ECU from a junked Maxima an option.
Or maybe I'm totally wrong about this whole thing.

You send yours in, but you cant anymore either way. The group deal is over, im not sure how youd get another...

But the way it would have worked was you send yer ecu in, they program it, and send it back. A spare ecu is totally an option, thats how mine is done right now.. the UPRD is on a 96 ecu, hanging out, while the 97 is still in the ecu slot.. the connector is hooked/bolted onto the uprd right now, but i can change back anytime.. (since i have 2 ecus)

ajaffee 02-27-2001 02:34 PM

So, UPRD is no longer going to make any ECU's for the 4th gen? (I actually have a 97, but I'd deal with a "check engine" light). It seems like it would be a lost money-making oppurtunity if they stop doing the re-programming of the ECU's.

Cumalot 02-27-2001 05:13 PM

Unless you were on the list originally like I was, then I think you still can get it. I haven't send mine in yet, but will do so in a day or two.

OgreDave 02-27-2001 05:40 PM

Originally posted by ajaffee
So, UPRD is no longer going to make any ECU's for the 4th gen? (I actually have a 97, but I'd deal with a "check engine" light). It seems like it would be a lost money-making oppurtunity if they stop doing the re-programming of the ECU's.
Its actually handled buy a guy named Robert now, who used to work at UPRD. As of right now, they have no more plans for more ecus other than those on the list... but, maybe in the future..

On the bright side, by that time Cheston (or me) might have figured out the 97 check engine light thing.. but so far no problem with it other than the non matching orange .. :) need dry streets!

BEJAY1 02-27-2001 05:57 PM

1) I believe Robert only has a limited number of original boards to program work from? That's why no future deal.

2) Isn't the MIL problem on the '97s solved simply by swapping the rear O2 sensor for a '96 model year? For another $60-$100 I'm gonna replace that too. I want my MIL working to tell me when there's a real problem...

OgreDave 02-28-2001 12:03 PM

Originally posted by BEJAY1
1) I believe Robert only has a limited number of original boards to program work from? That's why no future deal.

2) Isn't the MIL problem on the '97s solved simply by swapping the rear O2 sensor for a '96 model year? For another $60-$100 I'm gonna replace that too. I want my MIL working to tell me when there's a real problem...

I agree.. i plan on figuring out a bypass, but no one has tried it yet, so "simply" is hard to say .. hope to find out soon.. its still raining etc out here..

SWEETSOUND2001 03-01-2001 12:09 AM

chebosto just posted that there will be another group buy in 2 months...muahahah..im in most likely