4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cruise control went out

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 06:52 PM

OK, what in the world did I do now. All the sudden my cruise control just turned off while I was on the interstate. I use cruise control ALL THE TIME - for a 5minute trip I use b/c I naturally start speeding - bad. Is there anything I can do, or does it have to go to nissan to be fixed ? Also, if it has to go to the shop can anyone take a guess at how much it will cost?
Old 02-27-2001, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by hlh0501
OK, what in the world did I do now. All the sudden my cruise control just turned off while I was on the interstate. I use cruise control ALL THE TIME - for a 5minute trip I use b/c I naturally start speeding - bad. Is there anything I can do, or does it have to go to nissan to be fixed ? Also, if it has to go to the shop can anyone take a guess at how much it will cost?
Perhaps your Cruise Control turned off because it mistakenly thought it was supposed to turn off. These are the disengage signals:

- Dashboard switch is in the off position.
- Driver steps on the brake pedal.
- Driver steps on the clutch pedal (5-speed).
- Driver presses ASCD cancel switch.
- Vehicle Speed Sensor indicates speed outside ASCD operating range.

Check each of these items.

Check fuse #12 (7.5 amps).

Check the ASCD relay in the engine compartment. (ASCD = Automatic Speed Control Device, that's the Nissan name for Cruise Control)

Verify that the wires and vacuum hoses which attach to the ASCD actuator are intact and connected.

There could be other faults (bad ASCD actuator, bad ASCD control unit) but
these are less probable.
Old 03-16-2001, 03:49 PM

Where is the ASCD actuator? I checked the relay, and the fuse, both are good. BTW, the little green light comes on when I switch my cruise control on... but I cannot get it to set to a speed (the green "CRUISE CONTROL" light never comes on.... just the cruise control power light on the switch)

I looked under the hood and have NO clue what a ASCD actuator looks like hehe... a little direction?
Old 03-16-2001, 04:16 PM

It's in the engine compartment

Where is the ASCD actuator? I checked the relay, and the fuse, both are good. BTW, the little green light comes on when I switch my cruise control on... but I cannot get it to set to a speed (the green "CRUISE CONTROL" light never comes on.... just the cruise control power light on the switch)

I looked under the hood and have NO clue what a ASCD actuator looks like hehe... a little direction?
It will really help you to have a repair manual. You can buy a Chilton or Haynes in any large bookstore or auto parts store. You may find it on the shelf at your local public library.

The ASCD actuator is identified in a diagram in Chilton on page 6-11. There is a good photograph of it in Haynes on page 12-16. It is a black plastic device bolted to the engine compartment firewall, center, and high. It is easy to see and reach. A throttle control cable is attached to one side. A rubber vacuum hose is attached to the other side.

You should check the small switches on the brake and clutch pedals. They are a likely cause of your problem.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:27 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: It's in the engine compartment

also check:
rear tail light bulbs. if the circuit in any of the tail light bulbs are bad, then the cruise control will not activate .. safety feature built into new cars these days..

check brake lites..

just a suggestion

--Cheston
Old 03-17-2001, 09:21 AM

Tail lights do not affect Cruise Control

Originally posted by Chebosto
also check:
rear tail light bulbs. if the circuit in any of the tail light bulbs are bad, then the cruise control will not activate .. safety feature built into new cars these days..

check brake lites..

just a suggestion

--Cheston
I respectfully disagree. I verified this by removing both right rear taillight bulbs from my own '99 Maxima. The Cruise Control worked normally.
Old 03-17-2001, 10:03 AM

all my taillights work anyways :)

All my tails work properly.... I am going out to the garage in a few minutes to see if I can find the ASCD thing and check the lines on it.... thanks for all the help! hopefully I will be able to find it without a repair manual - do any of you have one that you could scan the page maybe?
Old 03-17-2001, 10:08 AM

picture of engine bay....

attached is a pic of my engine bay. I put an arrow of what I thought might be it.. can you tell me, or tell me where it is in relation to the arrow I drew.. thanks!
Old 03-17-2001, 11:25 AM

i had the same problem...well kinda

I dunno about u guys but when i blew my fuse to my tripple air horns.. my horn AND my cruise control didnt work... i dont know why.. but when i replaced the fuse they both started working again... so i dunno maybe it is a safety feature.... but yea basically my cruise control didnt work until i changed the damaged horn fuse
Old 03-17-2001, 01:20 PM

Re: picture of engine bay....

attached is a pic of my engine bay. I put an arrow of what I thought might be it.. can you tell me, or tell me where it is in relation to the arrow I drew.. thanks!
Yes, that is the ASCD actuator.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:22 PM

Can the ASCD actuator be serviced in any manner. The cancel button on the steering wheel doen't always work on cold days, but on warm to hot days, no problems. Also, the resume / accelerate function is playing up but again, only on cold days. I suspect something is sticking in the actuator.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-29-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by MadMaxBrent
Can the ASCD actuator be serviced in any manner. The cancel button on the steering wheel doen't always work on cold days, but on warm to hot days, no problems. Also, the resume / accelerate function is playing up but again, only on cold days. I suspect something is sticking in the actuator.

Any thoughts?
My guess is that the actuator is fine. The functions you cite as troublesome (Cancel and Resume) have something in common: they are both operated by buttons on the steering wheel. I'd focus attention on those switches and their electrical connections.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:00 PM

I had considered the switch you mention but got thrown off by the fact that sometimes if you hold down the cancel button the car will slow and you can hear the relay click.

I'll whip the switch out tonight.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by MadMaxBrent
... and you can hear the relay click. ...
If that relay is sticky, it would account for all your symptoms. All relays of like color are interchangeable. Swap that suspect relay with any other with the same color plastic case. If the problems suddenly vanish, the Spotlight Of Suspicion falls on the relay.