4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bad ECU Harness HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 PM

Bad ECU Harness HELP

I'm getting a P0446 code (evap vent valve circuit). So, I tested the circuit from the vent valve to the ECU harness. The circuit is short (good) behind the harness if I probe the wire directly, but nothings there on the connecting side. Is there a way to replace just that one "connection" in the harness? I'm thinking of soldering a wire directly to the pin on the ECU and sliding it through the harness. Is there a better way to do this? I'm not the best at soldering. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestion is welcome and much appreciated.

UPDATE: I soldered a wire inside the ecu and ran it over the harness like pmohr suggested. Problem solved.

Last edited by yesipuff; 01-06-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by yesipuff
I'm getting a P0446 code (evap vent valve circuit). So, I tested the circuit from the vent valve to the ECU harness. The circuit is short (good) behind the harness if I probe the wire directly, but nothings there on the connecting side. Is there a way to replace just that one "connection" in the harness? I'm thinking of soldering a wire directly to the pin on the ECU and sliding it through the harness. Is there a better way to do this? I'm not the best at soldering. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestion is welcome and much appreciated.
Exactly where on the harness? You need to define where 'behind the harness' is, and where 'connecting side' is.

FWIW, if you're talking about running a wire from the ECU connector out to the engine bay, there's absolutely no chance of you ever running it all the way through the harness unless you split the whole thing open.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:00 AM

Your best bet to get good responses is not to post three threads for one.

Why not just trace down the break itself and splice at that point.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:24 AM

hey, thanks for the replies. let me clarify. the wire coming from the vent valve is good all the way up to the ECU harness. On the female side of the harness, where the pins from the ECU enter, is where the connection ends/craps out/open/nothing. so I'm not trying to run a wire all the way back, I'm just planning on connecting the pin to a short wire and stick it (the short wire) through the hole (in the harness) where the wire (from the vent valve) is now. So, I'll rip the wire, with the metal female piece thats crimped to it out of its socket in the harness. Solder a 3 inch wire to the pin on the ECU, and thread that short wire through the hole where ill connect it to the vent valve wire. Unless there's a better/easier way (I hope). i guess its hard to explain. sorry if i gave you a headache.

Last edited by yesipuff; 12-24-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by funky_monkey58
Your best bet to get good responses is not to post three threads for one.
Well I didn't think the replies would be pouring in for this one, and it's urgent because I need to pass emissions ASAP. My plates are expired and Ive already gotten 2 tickets (I'm in Chicago, no mercy here).

Originally Posted by funky_monkey58
Why not just trace down the break itself and splice at that point.
I wish the break were somewhere else at this point. Problem is the connection ends right IN the harness.

Last edited by yesipuff; 12-24-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 AM
No more Maximas...

hey, thanks for the replies. let me clarify. the wire coming from the vent valve is good all the way up to the ECU harness. On the female side of the harness, where the pins from the ECU enter, is where the connection ends/craps out/open/nothing. so I'm not trying to run a wire all the way back, I'm just planning on connecting the pin to a short wire and stick it (the short wire) through the hole (in the harness) where the wire (from the vent valve) is now. So, I'll rip the wire, with the metal female piece thats crimped to it out of its socket in the harness. Solder a 3 inch wire to the pin on the ECU, and thread that short wire through the hole where ill connect it to the vent valve wire. Unless there's a better/easier way (I hope). i guess its hard to explain. sorry if i gave you a headache.
That won't work, a length of wire won't fit through the ECU connector on the harness. Have you even looked at it to see if it can be repaired yet?

Go to the junkyard, get yourself a lead with the metal pin still on it. At the worst, I suppose you could run a wire into the ECU, to the backside of the connector.

Well I didn't think the replies would be pouring in for this one, and it's urgent because I need to pass emissions ASAP. My plates are expired and Ive already gotten 2 tickets (I'm in Chicago, no mercy here).
Regardless of how 'dire' your situation is, you post one thread. Not crossposting all over the damn forum. If everyone thought they were so much more special than everyone else, this place would go to hell even quicker than it already is.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you even looked at it to see if it can be repaired yet?

Go to the junkyard, get yourself a lead with the metal pin still on it.
How would I change it? Can the lead be removed and reinserted from the harness without damaging it? That was basically what I was trying to find out. I guess it would have been better to make a thread with that question.
At the worst, I suppose you could run a wire into the ECU, to the backside of the connector.
Thank you, that is a good idea, I wasn't thinking inside... er outside the box

Sorry for bombarding the forum. I deleted the other 2 threads. Wont happen again, I promise.

Last edited by yesipuff; 12-24-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 PM

No sure I totally understand but it justs seems unlikley that one wire from that harness somehow broke or opened. Are you sure you are checking the circuit correctly?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
No sure I totally understand but it justs seems unlikley that one wire from that harness somehow broke or opened. Are you sure you are checking the circuit correctly?
yea, i know. thats what i said, but yea, i checked it again and again. i even checked all the leads on that side of the harness and i used a pin too to see if the probe just wasn't touching far down enough... nothing. weird, isn't it? thats why i asked if anybody' s even had this problem...
Old 12-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Whatchyou say?

Regardless of how 'dire' your situation is, you post one thread. Not crossposting all over the damn forum. If everyone thought they were so much more special than everyone else, this place would go to hell even quicker than it already is.
I couldn't agree more. The 'nebz' on here are why I don't spend nearly as much time on the forums anymore. I agree Pmohr, it has gotten worse and is continuing to do so ... because people (nebz!) don't SEARCH, but instead just post up retarded threads and posts.

Personally, eveyone should be glad I don't have the power to lock threads like they need to be!

Last edited by JtzMax; 12-25-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
I couldn't agree more. The 'nebz' on here are why I don't spend nearly as much time on the forums anymore. I agree Pmohr, it has gotten worse and is continuing to do so ... because people (nebz!) don't SEARCH, but instead just post up retarded threads and posts.

Personally, eveyone should be glad I don't have the power to lock threads like they need to be!
you think this thread should be locked?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 AM
NameGoesHere

you think this thread should be locked?
99.9% of 4th gen forum postings are reposts of reposts.

I hate it when Im SEARCHING for a solution to a problem and have to read through 400 threads of BS to find 2 or 3 gems.

Your thread in particular probably doesnt need to be locked, BUT your issue is most likely allready adressed somewhere here. (Lost in the mess of BS)

In the time you wasted waiting for someone on the internet to tell you to run the wire, you couldve rewired the whole car. Trust your gut, its just a wire.

As long as you dont solder like a toddler pouring breakfast cereal, you should be fine.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by NameGoesHere
In the time you wasted waiting for someone on the internet to tell you to run the wire, you couldve rewired the whole car.
LOL

Well I did search, I always do, and I read a few hundred of those BS posts, but I didn't see any like this one. I just wanted to know if this had happend to anyone else, and if the lead could be removed from the harness without damaging it. I did post this in the general and electrical discussions too at first, wich I guess I shouldn't have. I just didn't expect people to find it and reply to it. I thought it might get lost in the mess of BS. Well anyway, lesson learned. Please stop flaming me, I deleted the other post...
Old 12-26-2008, 05:38 AM
NameGoesHere

LOL

Well I did search, I always do, and I read a few hundred of those BS posts, but I didn't see any like this one. I just wanted to know if this had happend to anyone else, and if the lead could be removed from the harness without damaging it. I did post this in the general and electrical discussions too at first, wich I guess I shouldn't have. I just didn't expect people to find it and reply to it. I thought it might get lost in the mess of BS. Well anyway, lesson learned. Please stop flaming me, I deleted the other post...
Every club has its initiation. Welcome to the .org!
Now shutdown your computer and run some damn wire! lol