Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   **Newest mod** All-Red tails on my 99...**PICS** (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/204095-newest-mod-all-red-tails-my-99-pics.html)

99Maxima5sp 01-20-2004 10:01 AM

**Newest mod** All-Red tails on my 99...**PICS**

Well, i finally got sick of my Red/Clears as many people have. I decided i didnt want to go the route of Altezzas (even though 2nd Gen ones look decent). I decided to go ahead with All-Reds. Its different, thats for sure. But i like the look. Sets me apart from my fellow maxima friends here in my town.

Heres the pics, you have to excuse the horrible picture quality/pixels. My digi is gonna be sent out to be fixed shortly, but i just couldnt wait to take pics of my new tails...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...2_216_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...2_217_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...2_218_full.jpg

They look better in person...thats for sure...

Opionions/Comments welcome...

MaxedOutOfCash 01-20-2004 10:02 AM

different and nice but why?????
red/clears are so much nicer . . .

gtr_rider 01-20-2004 10:04 AM

Doesnt look too bad, watch out for the :Police: when in reverse

nismos14 01-20-2004 10:05 AM

i like the red clears more than the all reds, but its different and it looks good :woot:

99Maxima5sp 01-20-2004 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
different and nice but why?????
red/clears are so much nicer . . .

I was very tired of red/clears. They just looked too stock for my tastes...

Also, i think everyones just used to the Red/clears so much, so anything you do seems pretty different. I like to be different :)

Eric

endus 01-20-2004 10:07 AM

I don't like at all...

But then again I don't like red/clears either...all my lights are stock. The only tailight mod I like is the smoked ones.

ChinoX 01-20-2004 10:27 AM

As GTR said, now that you did that, what are you going to do when you put your car in reverse?

Torgus 01-20-2004 10:45 AM

just buy some reverse lights and mount them under your bumper like lots of trucks have...might be a tad bit ugly. Real reverse lights help you see when you are reversing, where as our reverse lights just let the people behind us know we are reversing. just an idea. i like the all red.

VQuick 01-20-2004 10:46 AM

I love the look, and yours looks particularly well done. It looks like there's a thick black border around them, thicker than stock. Am I just imagining it?

This looks better than stock, red/clears, or altezzas but there is the reverse-light problem. Maybe small very bright bulbs would look almost white even through the red tint?

Maybe all clears (with red bulbs inside) could look good too. Anyone have a pic of this?

99Maxima5sp 01-20-2004 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
just buy some reverse lights and mount them under your bumper like lots of trucks have...might be a tad bit ugly. Real reverse lights help you see when you are reversing, where as our reverse lights just let the people behind us know we are reversing. just an idea. i like the all red.

Yeah, i need to do something

Originally Posted by Masaccio
I love the look, and yours looks particularly well done. It looks like there's a thick black border around them, thicker than stock. Am I just imagining it?

This looks better than stock, red/clears, or altezzas but there is the reverse-light problem. Maybe small very bright bulbs would look almost white even through the red tint?

Maybe all clears (with red bulbs inside) could look good too. Anyone have a pic of this?

Your imagining it ;) . I personally like them better than red/clears, and altezas (even 2nd gens wouldnt look good in my color). They do make all clears for the '02-'03 max, studman has them.

Thanks for the compliments...

I will also be taking some better pics shortly because the angle of these pics makes the lights so funny and huge...

Eric

Brudaddy 01-20-2004 11:20 AM

I personally don't like them.
I do think, however, you did a good job on them. They look really professional.
They are definately different, if that is what you were going for.
Keep up the modding.

wariow 01-20-2004 11:28 AM

looks good to me, and about the popo's. Just be wary when you reverse.

ohannon7 01-20-2004 11:32 AM

looks good, anything besides stock. the red clears look clean but they look like stock civic tails.

endus 01-20-2004 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
I will also be taking some better pics shortly because the angle of these pics makes the lights so funny and huge...

Maybe that's part of it. That one picture makes it look like the tails are buggin out of the trunk...like they're bigger than stock.

I agree about the craftsmanship though...they look professional, just not my cup-o-tea

Midknight MAXX 01-20-2004 11:37 AM

Well?......How did you do it? Looks okay. Big ups to being different. As far as the reverse light problem, could you have just masked a small square or circle over the light. Just an after thought.

felix 01-20-2004 11:39 AM

I'm not really feeling them... but good job on the paint.

Brudaddy 01-20-2004 11:40 AM

That might have worked with the masked square or circle...then you could put in a few LED reverse lights. Would look tight.

hotmax97 01-20-2004 11:53 AM

have fun goin reverse in realy dark places ,don't know may be the light when you touk the pic but
they look like 95/96 upside down

dr_blaqueman 01-20-2004 11:56 AM

How did you do that?
I have a 95 and have the altezzas in but I want the all red. If you could give me a write up I would apreciate it.

99Maxima5sp 01-20-2004 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by hotmax97
have fun goin reverse in realy dark places ,don't know may be the light when you touk the pic but
they look like 95/96 upside down

The max doesnt provide super visibility when reversing anyways. Its not something i cant deal with. We'll see tonight...

Originally Posted by dr_blaqueman
How did you do that?
I have a 95 and have the altezzas in but I want the all red. If you could give me a write up I would apreciate it.

As far as a writeup, there isnt much i can write. All you have to do is take off all 4 lights (if your stockers are still in). Inner trunk lights are held in by 4 screws, on 99s anyways. And the outters are held in by 5 screws. It takes some strength and patience to take your stockers out because of the glue that holds them in place. After that, just clean the tailights real good and buy yourself some Testors Candy Apple Red Transparent 1605 spray paint. Its 2.97 at wal-mart in the model car section. Just start spraying even coats. It will start out pink, bt as you throw on more layers it will get redder until it matches your stock lights. Works great and dries damn near glossy.

As far as the masking idea, its a good idea that i may take up in the future.

I went out and took a few more pics, once again, the pictures look worse as far as quality since my digi is shot, i apologize. Heres just some more angles...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...2_219_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...2_220_full.jpg

Eric

Brudaddy 01-20-2004 01:30 PM

It makes you turn your head twice to see exactly what kind of car it is. ha ha

MAX_POWERS 01-20-2004 01:38 PM

HERE IS A PIC OF MY ALL REDS.I USED RED TAIL LAMP PAINT. I WENT LIGHTER ON THE REVERSE.THE http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fd269e7...B_DzUBkh8LIGHT I STILL WHITE USEING LEDS.

JerseyMaxima 01-20-2004 01:40 PM

I like the creativity....Looks good

Brudaddy 01-20-2004 01:42 PM

Linky no worky!

myke321 01-20-2004 01:45 PM

I like how it looks! Did you testor spary paint??

Kevlo911 01-20-2004 02:59 PM

:thumbsup: hope people don't get confused when you are backing up.

Jepht20 01-20-2004 04:55 PM

looks good!

go check out autozone...i was just there the other day looking around and they have all sorts of generic lights and i'm sure you could fit a small one above the license plate frame, and then some under the bumper. you could even use a fog light aimed down under your bumper to help you see better and let people know you're backing up. just something to think about.

nice job though!

kingrukus 01-20-2004 05:14 PM

Sure is different. I wonder how hard it would be to rewire the license plate lights to become the reverse lights. Of course I would also change those lights to something far more bright.

ptatohed 01-20-2004 05:25 PM

:o)

I like it a lot and you did a very good job. I just think it would look best on a dark car. It would be really slick on a red car.

Ladzio 01-20-2004 05:43 PM

looks great, I like it :)

Taken2DaMax 01-20-2004 05:48 PM

looks good and professional. Just hope you don't get pulled over...

2k3TitaniumSe 01-20-2004 06:44 PM

Nice i should red/red my 3rd and 5th gens lights!

my99maxisnice 01-20-2004 06:59 PM

I would love to see it on a black car...but on beige, i prefer red/clears

RastaManMax 01-20-2004 07:16 PM

The more i see other variations of tails on Maximas, the more i like red/clears. More power to you if you like them though. There's somebody else that did that a long time back and his came out with a decent look as well.

LEMAR

ManualMaxima 01-20-2004 08:10 PM

those are badd *** what did you paint them with?

4DRSpeed 01-20-2004 08:24 PM

I like that, very nicely done. I can't find the tape people say to use for the 95-96 models, so I'm just going to paint them. I don't think I'm going to paint the reverse lights though. I like what you did though, very nicely done!

Ludacris 01-20-2004 08:27 PM

I like!...good job.

Zipp028 01-20-2004 08:30 PM

You did a great job on thoes tails! They look really nice!! And it deff. makes your car stand out a little more then the other max's and maybe.. the dual exhuast... hah... nice job tho man :)

99Maxima5sp 01-20-2004 09:39 PM

Thanks alot guys for all the compliments. Im currently brainstorming many possibilities as far as reverse lights. Im thinking some kind of L.E.D bar or something around the license plate. I wanna get away with something that wont require any drilling or anything on my bumper. I may even take off some of the red on the lense leaving about the last inch inside the light white and covering the rest of the light in red. I would also have to open them up and put something inside to block the light from shining through the rest of the red. That would probably be the easiest thing to do...

Anyone have any ideas as to what i could use to take off the paint if i decide to that wont ruin/fog my lense? Would small amounts of paint thinner completely ruin the plastic? Suggestions please...

Also, for you people who didnt read the whole thread..shame shame...I used Testors Candy apple Red 1605 spray paint...from wal-mart ($2.97)

As far as the comment on the darker car, they look absolutely sick on a black car, thats where i got the inspiration from...

VQuick 01-20-2004 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
As far as the comment on the darker car, they look absolutely sick on a black car, thats where i got the inspiration from...

Was it this photo?

http://www.lvcivs.net/redtails.jpg

What a fine black @$$!