Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Fixed Bent Rim but now car shakes unimaginably above 50mph (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/206970-fixed-bent-rim-but-now-car-shakes-unimaginably-above-50mph.html)

NyC97Max 02-03-2004 12:04 AM

Fixed Bent Rim but now car shakes unimaginably above 50mph

hey guys..havent posted in a while...a week ago i got a flat and tried to change, but with the freezing temps we've had up here in the NE, while trying to take off the lugnuts on the wheel, i snapped one off with the bolt tryin to press down on the wrench with my body weight...so eventually i got everything off really slowly and took it to a tire shop and my rim was bent slightly and that was the cause of air leaking

So they fix the rim and everything, weld it back to shape and say the tire is fine...however after a week or so of driving, everytime im on the highway, the car shakes like crazzzyyy anytime over 50mph...the most around 70ish..and i dont mean a lil vibration...i mean the car feels like its gonna fall apart

so now im concerned, is this normal after trying to fix a bent rim?? is it the rim? is it that im missing one of the lugnuts?? my strut tops are actually blown too in the front but thats been like that for a few months, so it wouldnt be that cuz that didnt happen before...so wut can possibly be causing all the shaking? thanx for the help

Matt_NZ 02-03-2004 05:37 AM

Did you get the wheel re-aligned after getting the rim fixed? If not, that could be your problem as the previous alignment probably no longer applies to the new rim shape (even though it looks fixed and back to shape, it doesn't take much to put it off).

SonicDust187 02-03-2004 06:02 AM

Your tire might have not been balanced properly.

WillMax95 02-03-2004 06:04 AM

take them to a tire place and have them rotate and balance tires.

Show Maxima 02-03-2004 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
Did you get the wheel re-aligned after getting the rim fixed? If not, that could be your problem as the previous alignment probably no longer applies to the new rim shape (even though it looks fixed and back to shape, it doesn't take much to put it off).

alignment has nothing to do with your wheel. the only thing is, when the shop repaired your wheel, they probably didnt 'balance' your tire, if they didnt, that is most likely your problem, and if you want, i would watch them balance the wheel, cuz as they are balancing it, the wheel will be on the balancing machine, and when its turning, you will be able to see if the wheel is turning 'true' to verify that the repair went well.

let me know what happens.

C MAX 02-03-2004 06:54 AM

[
they didn't balance your tire, have them high speed balance then put it in the back, i had a rim fixed and it did the same thing at first... after they balanced and put in the back you can barely notice..