4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Pad Recommendations?

Old 09-22-2000, 04:31 AM

What's a good alternate brake pad other than stock - I've got to replace the original stock pads - they squeal more than a hitchcock film. Where and how much? Thanks...
Old 09-22-2000, 05:52 AM
Disco Biscuit

I have had nothing but good times with my Stillen pads

Been using them for about 2 months now and they are great. at the same time I invested in Stainless steel brake lines and that only makes a good thing better. And they aren't as hard on the stock rotors as some other pads I've heard of...
I pad about the same price as OEM pads.
Old 09-22-2000, 06:09 AM

My brakes scream!

Luckily my stereo and the roar of air from my intake is louder than the brakes, or I'd go crazy. I don't know what pads my guy used, but they are so loud rolling between 20 and 35MPH. When you step on the brakes they don't squeal, but with your foot off the brake, they are SO loud!

What is to be done about this? I read someone mention plastic shims as opposed to metal???
Will OEM pads not squeek?
Old 09-22-2000, 07:39 AM
compu_squid

Got to agree on the Stillen pads. When my pads squeeled like a pig @25k I decided to go with quality instead of OEM crap so I blew a buck for the Stillen metal matrix and they are fantastic. Squeak gone and they car stops better than before. The only caveat is the brakes have to be "warmed up" (used a few times) before they really start to stick. I was told this is typical of racing brakes but it may be an issue in climes where it's always cold. ~C

Old 09-22-2000, 08:27 AM
Disco Biscuit

Ya, you do have to warm them up a little.

But once you do, it's like night and day. And I have NEVER had them squeal.
Someone sent me an e-mail one time telling me that Stillen is the same as some cheap PepBoy pad, but they aren't. I just think some poeple don't like Stillen no matter what. And they're price's aren't as bad as people say.If you call for a quote, they quote you retail price, but when you buy, they give you a nice discount. The more you buy, the better the discount. Everything I have bought for my car for replacement parts are the same price if not cheaper then OEM prices.
Old 09-22-2000, 08:46 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Ya, you do have to warm them up a little.

I still have the OEM pads with 34k. Never a squeal. But when i get them replaced, i heard not to get nissan ones again because they use "key value" parts, which are cheaper quality than the OEM.
Old 09-22-2000, 09:31 AM
MaxRX7

Pads with or w/o ABS?

I never liked the OEM brakes in my Maxima, they do not seem powerful enough to slow down the car in a hurry.i.e. long stopping distances. When it comes time to replace the pads I am definitely not going to put on new OEM pads.

I do not have ABS, but I don't think that is the reason for the weak brakes. As far as I know cars with ABS have to have a certain kind of brake pad installed (I am not sure if metallic, semi-metallic, other) for it not to squeal.

The first question you should ask is what type of pads can you put on a car with and w/o ABS.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by compu_squid
Got to agree on the Stillen pads. When my pads squeeled like a pig @25k I decided to go with quality instead of OEM crap so I blew a buck for the Stillen metal matrix and they are fantastic. Squeak gone and they car stops better than before. The only caveat is the brakes have to be "warmed up" (used a few times) before they really start to stick. I was told this is typical of racing brakes but it may be an issue in climes where it's always cold. ~C
you need to "warm" up the compound because the pads are pretty harsh on the rotors. you prob have less dusting than stock right?
stillen pads i've heard are axxis metal masters..or similar compound.
i personally like porterfields..no warmup, no fade when hot, ez on the rotors (carbon kevlar compound..{i think})
but if the stillen ones are keeping u happy..then keep what works for u.
Dan
just my $.02
Old 09-22-2000, 09:44 AM

Porterfileds! n/m

n/m

Old 09-22-2000, 02:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

EBC Green Stuff >>>

I have the EBC Greens on my car. They work great. No fade.. Easy on the rotors.. They don't really need to be warmed up.. Maybe when starting her up in the morning and you stop for the first light.. You will notice its a little sloppy. But after that first stop you're fine. I love these pads BUT! They DUST LIKE CRAZY! When I was doing my research on pads someone told me they didn't dust. This is not true at all.. They dust a lot.. I would think the EBCs are comparable to the Porterfields but I've never tried the Porterfields. The EBCs are also kevlar pads.

<A HREF="http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm">Link to EBC Brakes Site</A>

ZuM
Old 09-22-2000, 05:04 PM

I just put in Porterfields and I love them. No squeal, and they stop the car ridiculously fast. Still not sure about dust though, time will tell. So far, they don't seem to be any worse than stock. And it's true - these things never fade.
Old 09-22-2000, 05:14 PM
jasonmeter

Just wanted to let all the guys who think they have Stillen brake pads your wrong, they are Pepboys pads in a stillen box. After purchasing them myself along with c/d rotors, they ruined my rotors in three days. I called Stillen and argued with the manager who told me I had to deal with there distributor who then told me they are the same pads that you can get at pepboys for less than half the money. I was pissed!!! Just thought you would want to know for next time>

Old 09-22-2000, 06:54 PM
Disco Biscuit

Well dude all I have to say is you had other problems.

Not just your pads. I drive an average of 100 miles a day. use my original STOCK rotors, and drive at high speeds repeatedly every day. I average 80 mph for at least 75% ofmydrive. With a lot of breaking. 6to 8 of them from high speeds.Usually from between 60 and 80 mph. These pads are great. they stop my car with absolute grace and authority. After the e-mail you sent me, I got concerned and took my car to my Nissan mech, (who does all my work AND builds racecars and hotrods). He said the rotors were fine. the pads? FINE. That's after they were a month and a half old. If you had problems with the pads, they may have been defective. The rotors could have been bad. Poor installation, any # of things. And as I have read on here a few times, you shouldn't install new pads and new rotors at the same time. You should let each one break in on their own, not at the same time. One bad pair does not make the whole line bad. I am sory to hear about the problems you had. And if they are the same? Cool, I now have a place to get some kick a$$ pads even cheaper.......
Old 09-22-2000, 11:58 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

p
o
r
t
e
r
f
i
e
l
d
s

bar none.

on sale with the SO CAL Maxima Grp.
*see grp deal page*
Old 09-23-2000, 04:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does porterfield make pads for the back too!? If they do that will be my next set. I think right now my EBCs grab WAY harder than the stock pads I have in the back. Too must front bias for my tastes.

ZuM

Originally posted by Chebosto
p
o
r
t
e
r
f
i
e
l