4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2-week update on I30t ownership...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

2-week update on I30t ownership...

Well, 2 weeks into owning the 97 I30, there are several issues at hand. Some are good, some are bad. First, the bad:

I definately traded problems with this car. My 96 Maxima had some tranny issues (very, very minor), had some creaking in the suspension, and was an auto. This car has some suspension "chatter," rides more harshly (these Intrax/AGX versus my old H&R/Tokicos), and has a little suspension creak, but only undr certain circumstances. The springs need to be wrapped, but I am still not sure about the chatter. The max had a noisy sunroof all of the time, so I was used to noise, but this is different. Also, THIS sunroof has a slight noise, btu I think it is just the velcro that secures the headliner to the roof skin. Also, the exhaust (Y,B, and aftermarket muffler) are a bit noisy at low RPMs, though fine @ highway speeds.

Second, the CEL will not stay off. I am retarded and cannot read the code, so I need to take it to AutoZone, but there is not one close to me.

Third, the driver's side brake light is at full illumination when the lights are on. I need to find that gremlin to pass inspection.

Lastly, it has a few quirks and problems that the Max did not have. I was aware of all when I bought it, but they are still there: the older style center console, a cracked (and water-filled) cornering light, and rear doors that are a pain to open. Also, where the car was repainted, one of the body panels does not match up 100% (color only), and the windshield has a small chip out of it. The trunk is also loud when being closed.

Now for the good:

The handling is much improved, though harsh on bumps. The suspension, even with the chatter, is quieter than the Maxima suspension, and handles better. It IS an noticable difference. I am still debating the switch back to H&Rs for ride quality reasons. The looks of the Intrax are head-and-shoulders above the maxima on H&Rs. The 5-speed is a joy to drive, and is tons of fun. It has power available that makes the shifting and the exhaust noise very, very tolerable, and overall the car has a different flair to it.

I like the rear end more than the maxima, and the side styling is great as well. The jury is still out on the nose of the car, btu I certainly do not dislike it.

I like the conveniences- heated seats, dimming mirror, and nice touches around the car, but I do miss my 97+ console.

Would I go back to the maxima? No. Do I miss things about it? Yes.

The I30 is not perfect, but once I get the CEL to stay off and get the light issue fixed, I think that I will be in great shape for the long haul.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:14 AM

sounds like you're not over enthusiastic about your i30. I have had my 99i30 for about 6 weeks now myself. I really like the car, I have B&G springs on stock shocks with 17"s and 50's. The handling is great and not very rough. Mine has the auto which I wanted with the Seattle traffic that we have here, but the 5-speed would definitely be sportier. Other than that I just put in an amp using a converter line into the rear speakers, hooking up a single sub. The sub WAY overpowers the Bose system and there is probably a better way to do it. As far as looks, I like the front end more than the rear, but having a '99 I have the cleared out tails stock which looks good. My car before this one was a '96 ford contour SVT, which was nice, but this car is way more plush, and overall faster. I'm loving my i30, and am happy to be a part of the forum.........good luck........scotty
Old 03-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Mine has cleared tails as well, which lend themselves nicely to the overall attractiveness of the rear.

Don't get me wrong- I prefer the I30 over the Maxima, but there are some kinks that I need to get worked out. First, I was SUPPOSED to transfer the H&Rs to the I30, but i had to deliver the car in a hurry and did not get to pull the H&Rs and tokicos off. If I had, I think that I would be happier w/ the suspension feel. The sportiness of the Intrax is great, but the ride is a bit harsh. I dialed the AGX to a different setting last night, and I like the front better. The rears I will do when it is not raining.

Second, I am annoyed at my inability to get the electrical system to where I want it, mostly because it should NOT be that hard to do. I just don't have a place to work on it right now.

Lastly, the CEL is a constant frustration, b/c the car runs perfectly yet I still throw a code. It is annoying.

In a side note- and one that is of high importance- the I30 seems to go about 50 miles farther to a tank of gas...

Old 03-31-2004, 09:39 AM

...you really can't read the codes yourself?
wowzers, and i bet its simply a fuse, and/or bulb, and/or wiring issue with the taillight... Im glad to hear you like the new ride though, And i hope you get your issues worked out!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
...you really can't read the codes yourself?
For all else that I can do to/with the car, I cannot seem to read the code. I am trying again tonight, though...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:49 AM

As much as I love my car the SES light is also my problem. Getting the codes and the code diagnosis was actually easy. Now the I have them I don't know what to do. I have a new post up hopefully someone can help me out. It's also easy to turn off the SES light but mine just keeps coming back on even though the car runs great. Check the org for instructions on getting and diagnosing your codes, its basic.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:13 AM

Good to hear that you are getting adjusted to the switch. I personally like the looks of the Maxima a lot better than the i30, but the comfort is another thing. Those things that you said, would be very nice to have. I guess I like sportier cars than more luxury ones.

I cannot remember which comes first, but all you do it just count the pulses. You turn the screw clockwise until it stops, hold it there for 5 sec, and then turn it back counter-clockwise until it stops. Then, the CEL will begin flashing. Don't worry about missing something, it will keep flashing until you stop it. If there is more than one code, it will flash throuch all of them, and then start over. For Instance, if you see 5 short pulses and then 5 long pulses, it is an 0505 code. That is what mine does, which means that there is nothing wrong.

Keep us posted on what is going on.

Check this out:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html