Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Found brake problem now need help solving it!!! (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/222477-found-brake-problem-now-need-help-solving.html)

99maxx-on19's 04-13-2004 02:38 PM

Found brake problem now need help solving it!!!

Long story short my rotor is hiting my brake capiler.If i jack up my car i can move my wheel and the rotor moves as well.I asked around and was told my wheel bearing is bad...Now is this true?has anyone had this problem?if so its this a do it your self job, or should i take it somewhere?

Dubbya 04-13-2004 02:48 PM

Hmmm....just kinda skimmed through the front wheel bearing R&R, and you better have some mechanical inclination. Here is a link

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/704

99maxx-on19's 04-13-2004 03:05 PM

man thats a lot of work and i don't think i can do that kind of job!On a scale of 1 to 10 for a mechanic i'm a 4 and you gotta be at least a 6 to do this.I mean iv'e done my own springs,tune up ect. you know minor stuff But how much whould this cost to get it done????

Dubbya 04-13-2004 03:21 PM

I have no idea, $100 or so a side + parts??? Just call around and ask. I have never had that done to my car.

99maxx-on19's 04-14-2004 05:56 PM

well this is gettin done friday

sryth 04-14-2004 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 99maxx-on19's
Long story short my rotor is hiting my brake capiler.If i jack up my car i can move my wheel and the rotor moves as well.I asked around and was told my wheel bearing is bad...Now is this true?has anyone had this problem?if so its this a do it your self job, or should i take it somewhere?

Uhm...I don't get it. Your rotor is *supposed* to move when you spin the wheel. That's how brakes work. The rotor moves with the wheel, the caliper clamps down on the rotor stopping them both (hopefully).

What makes you think you have a bad wheel bearing? (aside from other people)

What exactly is the problem. Give us the long story.

darrylh 04-15-2004 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 99maxx-on19's

If the problem is indeed the wheel bearing then be prepared for some sticker shock.

The bearings on the Max's are pressed in (Need a 4-5 ton press to remove and reinstall). I know some people pound them in and out, but I would be concerned about possible negatives. The bearings themselves will run you between 35 -70 a side, about 4-5 hours labor and the alignment

I agree with 99maxx-on19's.. minimum 6 skill level plus special tools to separate the ball joint w/o destroying the ball joint boot (boot only available with control arm (~$200/side at dealership)

99maxx-on19's 04-15-2004 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by sryth
Uhm...I don't get it. Your rotor is *supposed* to move when you spin the wheel. That's how brakes work. The rotor moves with the wheel, the caliper clamps down on the rotor stopping them both (hopefully).

What makes you think you have a bad wheel bearing? (aside from other people)

What exactly is the problem. Give us the long story.

im mean my wheel moves back and fourth not clockwise and i still don't know what to do. Should i buy the part then take it somewhere or just give the car to a mechanic and let him buy the part?

sryth 04-16-2004 02:25 AM

Don't buy the part. You're going to need it pressed in (as darrylh said).

If you're mechanically inclined, and have a spare car, you could take the steering knuckle off yourself and bring it to a shop to have the bearing replaced. Any automotive machine shop can do this.

Otherwise, call around to local garages and get prices. Have the mechanic buy the bearing, otherwise he may not provide a warranty for the whole job.