4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My first Maxima which to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 07:36 AM

I'm in the process of buying my first Maxima ever. Today I will be driving a 1995 Maxima se 5spd. Is this a good car, fast, good for mods, etc. Please let me know what you think about this model. Its all decked out leather etc, its got 92000 miles, the dealer replaced timing belt just to be safe, he wants 9000 for it but I will be talking him down.

Old 09-23-2000, 07:58 AM

95 was a good year, the 95-96 are supposedly the fastest (with the possible exception of the 5 spd 5th gen). 90k is a lot of miles though, but the price sounds about right. BTW, it doesn't have a timing belt, so I would ask him what exactly he did
Old 09-23-2000, 08:09 AM

huh?

Originally posted by deathwish

95 was a good year, the 95-96 are supposedly the fastest (with the possible exception of the 5 spd 5th gen). 90k is a lot of miles though, but the price sounds about right. BTW, it doesn't have a timing belt, so I would ask him what exactly he did
What are you saying I should get the automatic instead of 5spd, if it does not have a timing belt what does it have?
My current car has a timing belt so I thought thats what he said he replaced. Maybe I was wrong. It took me two months to find out everything about the engine in my 1989 toyota supra, mods, etc. Dang now I have to start over again got any good websites I could go to, to learn about this engine mods, etc.

Old 09-23-2000, 08:39 AM

timing belt

well u can call it that but it's actually a chain like the ones on a bike. those need to be replaced at 100k. or so they say it does. if you get auto. i suggest you get the VB from don asap since the tranny would be kinda old already. the VB is valve body. don will recalibrate it causing it to push the fluids faster makin' it shift faster and some how this makes the tranny last longer.
Old 09-23-2000, 09:11 AM

I diffently would not get the automatic if performance is your top concerns. The 5sp will always get more performance than the auto. Now, if convenience and the desire for an auto tops the list, then by all means, buy what you like. There are no problems with either tranny. My advice of buying the 5sp, is make sure the clutch is strong. I bought my 91 SE w/84k and my 96 SE 5sp w/71k and niether had a strong clutch when I bought it. So with 91k on your prospect, I would just make sure. I love my 96 SE. It is one of the best driving cars I've owned, right up there with my Acura Legend 5sp. It may actually be as good, but right now my Maxima needs tires so bad, it will probably drive completely different with new ones. Regarding the salesperson mentioning replacing the "timing belt" the others are right, they don't have them. The chain should never really need replaced as a preventative maintenance item. They usually stretch (not break) thus getting the ignition out of time. I've sold cars for a few years in my past, that sounds like he didn't have anything to say so he was making up stuff. Good luck with your search, I think you'll really like the Maximas.
Old 09-23-2000, 10:51 AM

Real men don't drive autos. Sure sure, some people on here will go on and on about how an auto with the VB mod will be faster than a 5 spd, but they're just rationalizing their lack of manliness. Er, nevermind Autos suck though, I won't drive one until they have on that shifts very fast and can be controlled telepathically. But that'd be more of a mind controlled manual anyway... I digress.

It has a timing chain, theoretically it's designed to last the life of the vehicle and shouldn't need replaced. Theoretically...
Old 09-23-2000, 01:47 PM

no it's fact.

course it'll last the life of the engine. once that breaks so do the motor. thus it lasting just as long as the motor. hehehe. man autos are nice.. hahaha i love stick tooo. but i hate it in up hill traffic.
Old 09-23-2000, 01:52 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: timing belt

Originally posted by mingo
well u can call it that but it's actually a chain like the ones on a bike. those need to be replaced at 100k. or so they say it does. if you get auto. i suggest you get the VB from don asap since the tranny would be kinda old already. the VB is valve body. don will recalibrate it causing it to push the fluids faster makin' it shift faster and some how this makes the tranny last longer.
Timing chains never have to be replaced. That is what there made for. I have 147k on my car, timing chain, never been replaced. I know people with 300k, never have been replaced. Belts are a different story.

Old 09-23-2000, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I were you I would get a 96. It is by far the best year in my opinion. And if you want speed get the manual se. Then you can upgrade it until your broke.
Old 09-23-2000, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally, I love my 95 SE 5 Spd. I would just recommend making sure the clutch is ok. It is expensive to replace (I paid $800 to replace mine (but needed new fly wheel at the same time)). I haven't driven a 95 Auto, but mine, no question, is quicker than my mom's 2K SE Auto.
Old 09-23-2000, 08:28 PM

i have a 95

I have a 95 GLE AUTO... i know... i couldnt help it.. i bought mine with like 83K on it.. i got it for umm 11K... i think my GLE is pretty darn quick... for an auto that is.. i was gonna get a 94 SE 5spd... but mom said no..hahaha... she wants to drive my car sometimes... oh well what can u do