4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A different Bose problem..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM

A different Bose problem..

Ive done my research over and over, and can't find a problem similar to mine. I replaced my 96 Bose HU (non working tape/cd) with a 99 Bose HU. Loving the new unit. Mainly wanted it for the tape aux anyway. But from what I can tell, these aren't supposed to have the CD player issue.
I put the CD in, it takes it, amd spits it out, pulls it back in, and spits it back out, roughly 3 times before saying CD ERR. I can't find out what the issue would be.. Any ideas? I tried a can of dust spray, and still won't do anything. And no, I'm not going to an aftermarket deck. I really like the bose setup. Thanks in advance..
The only thing I found similar to what im having is something about its it's taking in the CD all the way and the link to fix it was dead..

Last edited by NissanNismoZ; 07-15-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM

The CD player in the Bose is one of the sorriest pieces of unreliable junk there is. I have replaced the Bose head units in my 94, my 97 and my 2000 because of the CD player. I put in used Bose head units and I replaced 2 of those because of the CD player. The second round of replacements were not Bose.

But does it really matter exactly why your current Bose CD player is doing what it is doing? The thing is bad, so you have to replace the head unit again.

But I would suggest that you don't get another Bose. Any used Bose head unit you get is going to be 16 years old (give or take). It isn't going to last all that long either.

I just replaced the Bose head unit in my 2000 with a Kenwood. Total cost approximately $165. The Kenwood has more features than the Bose. It plays CDs and CDRWs recorded with WMA, MP3 or m4A files. It has an aux port, a USB port, it does hands free telephone and more stuff that I don't care about.

Think about it. Reconsider the "I gotta have a Bose".
Old 07-15-2015, 02:38 PM

Well, I mean if it's something simple, I'd like to fix it.
It's just, I have a 96 auto with all pioneer speakers and pioneer BT/USB/AUX/CD but, just compared to the bose, I really like the sound of it, compared to the pioneer, know what I mean? I suppose maybe later on I could do that, I was just trying to keep fairly original, since, I really do love the sound quality.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM

The way I interpret what you are saying is that you want to keep the car original. Nothing wrong with that.

I have taken my old Bose head units apart to see if I could fix them, but I wasn't able to. What I did learn was that the insides are not the same from year to year, so I couldn't swap parts. The face plate looks the same but the similarities ended there. There are places that will repair your Bose head unit, but they are kinda pricey, around $250 IIRC.

I'm confused, though. Do you still have the Bose speakers or did you change them to the Kenwoods? I didn't think a Bose unit could power non-Bose speakers. In the world of stereo, it is the speakers that are responsible for the quality of the sound. The electronics in the radios has evolved so greatly that a cheap $3 jogger's armband radio will give amazing sound if connected to quality speakers.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:46 PM

I only have that problem when the CD is a little warped. Have you tried different CD's?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 PM

My bad, allow me to clarify, my 96 auto has the all pioneer system, but my 96 manual has the bose and I love it. Im trying to keep it as original as possible, as I really do like it. I may go out and buy a new CD and try it, the CD I was trying has beem through a lot, and it's been a while since ive played it.
The auto is more of the wife's car than mine, I just do the work and drive it whenever she asks..and I told her getting a new HU in the manual (since we drive it a lot more) would fix the CD player..and it didnt. Lol, so the wife sees it differently than I do. I'm more about using the tape for AUX purposes..but she uses the CD player..I was, however, able to get it to play a few seconds, then it kept skipping and ejected it. I'll try a new disc.

Last edited by NissanNismoZ; 07-15-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:45 PM
oem ftw!

If you'd like to retain the bose setup, another avenue that people were pursuing back in the day was the 2005 Pathfinder bose head unit. From what I understand, it just required some very minor modification (drill new holes in the bose mounting bracket, and splice a wire or two). A couple of the threads can be found here:

https://maxima.org/forums/infiniti-i...tall-pics.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...disc-bose.html

The threads are kind of old, so some of the pictures do not work. Though I see that you're not interested in going aftermarket, I ultimately went the same route as DennisMik and replaced the bose unit with a Kenwood.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I just replaced the Bose head unit in my 2000 with a Kenwood. Total cost approximately $165. The Kenwood has more features than the Bose. It plays CDs and CDRWs recorded with WMA, MP3 or m4A files. It has an aux port, a USB port, it does hands free telephone and more stuff that I don't care about.
Dennis, I was toying with the idea of replacing the Bose head unit in my '96 GLE. Will a new aftermarket double din unit work OK with those amplified Bose speakers? The speakers sound fine to me and I can't afford to replace both the head unit and speakers at this time.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Junebug1701
Dennis, I was toying with the idea of replacing the Bose head unit in my '96 GLE. Will a new aftermarket double din unit work OK with those amplified Bose speakers? The speakers sound fine to me and I can't afford to replace both the head unit and speakers at this time.
Any head unit should work. You will just have to make sure all the old wires are connected to the new wires on the head unit correctly. You won't have to replace any speakers since they play anything that's sent to them.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:55 AM

You'll have to get an adapter that goes inline with your new radio so that you don't blow them. There's threads on here that give thr specific name for the adapter and what it does, but if you like your speakers (like I love mine) you'll want to have that adapter to save them, since other head units are adapted to different speaker standards (non bose)
Old 07-18-2015, 12:24 PM

To keep using the Bose speakers, you need to get a line level adapter like NissanNismoZ said. This is needed because of the difference in power that comes out of the radio. Bose does not send a very powerful signal to the speakers and the Bose speakers have an amplifier built into them. The adapter reduces the more powerful signal of the replacement radio to the level that the Bose sends out.

You need an adapter like the PAC ROEM NIS-2, list price $60. I got mine on e-bay for $29. If you get the PAC ROEM, it comes with the wire harness adapter. I don't know about other brands.

You will also need an antenna adapter and a trim plate adapter.

Name:  00max%20radio%20removed%202_zpscyrpznbv.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  112.3 KB
Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 PM

To keep using the Bose speakers, you need to get a line level adapter like NissanNismoZ said. This is needed because of the difference in power that comes out of the radio. Bose does not send a very powerful signal to the speakers and the Bose speakers have an amplifier built into them. The adapter reduces the more powerful signal of the replacement radio to the level that the Bose sends out.

You need an adapter like the PAC ROEM NIS-2, list price $60. I got mine on e-bay for $29. If you get the PAC ROEM, it comes with the wire harness adapter. I don't know about other brands.

You will also need an antenna adapter and a trim plate adapter.
Excellent, Dennis, that's exactly what I was looking for! I did a search for a system on Crutchfield, and they showed it including the wiring harness, antenna adapter, and face plate, but showed no line level adapter, even though I specified BOSE system. I kinda figured that I couldn't just plug in an amplified head unit into amplified speakers. Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:06 AM

It might work if you are getting a radio that has RCA jacks on the back of it. Those are low power outputs and may be similar to the Bose. If Crutchfield says you don't need the PAC ROEM, you are probably good without it.

When you are splicing the PAC ROEM wire harness to the radio wire harness, the PAC ROEM has 2 wires for each speaker + line, a high and a low. You use one or the other, the low wire to connect to a RCA connector or the high wire to a regular output.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:45 PM

It might work if you are getting a radio that has RCA jacks on the back of it. Those are low power outputs and may be similar to the Bose. If Crutchfield says you don't need the PAC ROEM, you are probably good without it.

When you are splicing the PAC ROEM wire harness to the radio wire harness, the PAC ROEM has 2 wires for each speaker + line, a high and a low. You use one or the other, the low wire to connect to a RCA connector or the high wire to a regular output.
Well, here's what Daisy from Crutchfield says:

Hello Junebug,

You don’t need an external line output converter, but you will need wiring harness with a converter built in. We have a specific model available for the Nissan. Check out the Sony and the necessary wiring here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYdf111/cart/

I hope that helps. Let us know if you need anything else.

Daisy
Advisor

And looking at my cart it shows this wiring harness:

Scosche CNN03 Wiring Interface

Allows you to connect a new car stereo and retain the factory amp in select 1994-up Nissan and Infiniti vehicles

So I guess the converter is built in. Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:23 PM

I love the wording of that e-mail - "You don’t need an external line output converter, but you will need wiring harness with a converter built in."

If the converter is not in the radio, it is external. When I looked at the photo of that "wiring harness with a converter built in", it is a generic, off the shelf external converter by Scosche. Crutchfield added wires to it to fit the Maxima because Schosche doesn't sell it like that.

There is nothing wrong with that, it's just the way the e-mail was worded.