4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

can you suggest Winshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 12:53 PM

what brand work the best to replace the stock blades. I'd like to keep the stock wipers and just replace the blades. Like some that will last. sorry I mean't windshield wipers.....
Old 04-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

may i suggest just using rain-X and buying whatever wipers you want, it wont matter after you apply that , works incredibly
Old 04-01-2001, 03:23 PM

Yes, Rain X

Originally posted by maxse91
may i suggest just using rain-X and buying whatever wipers you want, it wont matter after you apply that , works incredibly
Just change your blades (rubber only), then use Rain X. It worked for me.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:02 PM

Try Bosch or Trico

While RainX is pretty good stuff to use to keep your windshields clear, you will eventually need to replace your wiper blades as they don't last forever. If you live in Seattle, you'd probably have to replace them about 2x/year as you use them almost daily 9 months of the year.

As for brands, try the Bosch brand wiper blades (there's 2 versions, both good). They are about $10 for each blade, including the wiping element. You can then buy the wiper replacments when the rubber element gets worn. Both Bosch blades look stock as well.

Trico brand blades (about $8-9/blade) look very OEM as well--they should as they are OEM manufacturers of wiper blades; however, I feel Bosch have an edge in wiping quality.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:53 PM

I also noticed that I have to replace my wipers. The rubber is starting to split. Oh well..
Old 04-01-2001, 09:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've got the Bosch upgrade ones (Micro Edge I think) and they work very well. I just need to change them more often than I do... I'm a lazy SOB.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:14 PM

rainX

Someone on this board complained that Rain-X ruined his windshield
Old 04-01-2001, 10:14 PM

I have used BOCSH blades in the past and they worked great for about a month, but it was down hill from there. I recommend that you buy another Pair of Nissan Blades because they out perfrom the competition and last way longer. Just my opinion of course, but I have tried every thing.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:34 PM

Emax: How much were the OEM Nissan wiper blades (including the wiper element)? If they're a few bucks more than the Bosch, I might try them out next time I go about replacing the wiper blades to see how long they'll last to the others, as I've tried a few aftermarket brands. If you're right about the OEM blades, then hats off to you in advance.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:54 PM
supertool

I just use the ones from Pep-boys.

Just some generic ones. 22" and 21" Then again, I am in CA

Old 04-01-2001, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Maxima95GLE
Emax: How much were the OEM Nissan wiper blades (including the wiper element)? If they're a few bucks more than the Bosch, I might try them out next time I go about replacing the wiper blades to see how long they'll last to the others, as I've tried a few aftermarket brands. If you're right about the OEM blades, then hats off to you in advance.
To be honest with you I have never bought oem blades before. But when I purchased my 95 max,they put new oem blades on and they worked great for a long time,then when I tried a few other blades they just turned to crap in a few months. Also I have used lots of blades on other cars and they just did not last like my nissan ones did/do. I also have new nissan ones on my 98 I30 and they work awesome and have seen a lot snow/rain in the last 4 months and they still work perfectly. About the oem price, judging by Nissan prices in general I would say a pair would cost you about $40ish.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:07 PM

Emax: If the Nissan wiper blades are $40/pair--OUCH! I might be sticking w/ the Bosch then! However, since I'm going to be getting an oil change at the dealership on Wednesday, I'll check to see how much they really cost for a pair and if not more than $15/each, I might give them a try as you mentioned they work and last longer than others. While the Bosch are good, I'm willing to see if something else is better. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:24 PM

Rain-X

Don't put Rain-X on your windshield. It is just a wax, and eventually your windshield will be worse off than when you first did it. Really, you might as well just wax your windshield. There is a product called Aquapel that has a similar effect, but lasts longer and won't ruin your glass.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:09 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: Rain-X

Originally posted by brandonj
Don't put Rain-X on your windshield. It is just a wax, and eventually your windshield will be worse off than when you first did it. Really, you might as well just wax your windshield. There is a product called Aquapel that has a similar effect, but lasts longer and won't ruin your glass.
just how exactly do you ruin a windsheild?? Ive used rain-x since i can remember and have had nothing but good things to say, you really cannot beat it in the rain for visibility, no wiper can come close
Old 04-02-2001, 12:36 AM

Re: Re: Rain-X

just how exactly do you ruin a windsheild?? Ive used rain-x since i can remember and have had nothing but good things to say, you really cannot beat it in the rain for visibility, no wiper can come close
Like a wax, it will build up over time. That makes the windshield harder and harder to clean. With the wipers, it will tend to build up more in certain areas, which causes the wipers to be less effective. I've heard people say that they "skip" across the windshield in areas. If you use it consistently (every month), it's not nearly as much of a problem. It is also not as big a deal if you use the wipers less. If you are from Seattle, it can become a problem rather quickly.

I used to work for a large autoglass company. We would constantly get complaints from customers about Rain-X. You can usually take care of the problem with Bon Ami, but I've heard of extreme cases, usually when it wasn't applied correctly, of having to replace the windshield. Aquapel is not supposed to have the same problems that Rain-X has, and lasts a lot longer. I haven't personally used it, but have talked to a lot of people who have.

Basically, my point is that Rain-X is more trouble than it is worth. I used to use it, but I was told not to by good friends who have been in autoglass for 20+ years. To be honest, they don't use Aquapel either that I know of, but they do recommend it.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:37 AM

Re: Re: Rain-X

Rain X is great at first but give it a little while, it forms a nasty film all over the winshield. To avoid this problem apply rain X more often, say once a month.
Old 04-04-2001, 10:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bosch Blades

Get Bosch Micro Edge Excel blades.
You'll need a 21" and a 22" blade.
I haven't had any problems with them breaking down.
They wipe water away perfectly, and I've never had them "chatter" or "squeek", even in cold weather.
Old 04-04-2001, 10:09 AM
OG :)

Re: Bosch Blades

Anco!!!
Old 04-04-2001, 12:02 PM

I used Rain-X, maybe twice per rainy season in CA. Haven't found any problem yet. But I do see a color difference between where the wiper can sweep and where it can't reach (in the upper right corner). Even after I cleaned the windshield with Windex, inside and outside, I could still see the border line. I'd like to know what I can do to fix that. It is not so bad though.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2001, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rain-X

I thought Rain-X was more alcohol than anything. I just use the Rain-X concentrate and add it the the windshield washer fluid.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:29 PM

Re: rainX

That's me. The reason why I bought RainX is because everytime when I use the windshield wipers, it produces an annoying film. I was in my cousin's CR-V and when he used his wipers, it was very clear. So to solve this problem (I thought) I bought the Glass Polish from RainX. I was so glad that it made my glass a little cleaner but now I have scratches from the wipers. Probably this spring break, I'm going to replace the windshield (it recently had a chip from a rock) and not use RainX again. Others have used it and they seem it's fine but I'm probably going to stay away from it from now on.

Originally posted by Matrix

Someone on this board complained that Rain-X ruined his windshield
Old 04-04-2001, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by jiaxima96
I used Rain-X, maybe twice per rainy season in CA. Haven't found any problem yet. But I do see a color difference between where the wiper can sweep and where it can't reach (in the upper right corner). Even after I cleaned the windshield with Windex, inside and outside, I could still see the border line. I'd like to know what I can do to fix that. It is not so bad though.

Thanks
Try using Bon Ami. It is a cleanser, kind of like Comet, but it is milder. I've heard that Soft Scrub is good too.