4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 SE Brake Sqealing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

97 SE Brake Sqealing Problem

My pads on the front of my car recently needed to be replaced. So, I went to the local automotive store and bought a set of cheap pads. They immediately started to give a high squeal when stopping in the 10 - 35 mile per hour range using normal stopping pressure. After a week of this, I thought it must be cheap pads. So I purchased a set of pads from nissan and new shims. Same problem within five minutes of driving. So then I bought a new shim kit. Same high squeal problem again. Next I thought it must be the rotors. So I replaced with new Nissan rotors. Same problem came back in about day. The problem mainly happens when stopping normal. If I stop real light or heavy, the problem does not happen nearly as often when compared to an average stop. Does anyone have any idea how I can solve the problem?
Old 07-25-2004, 05:12 PM

ive got the same problem on mine. i replaced my stockers with powerslots and greenstuff pads. they squealed like crazy so i replaced the pads with ceramic pads. it got a little better but it still squeals pretty badly. i cant figure it out.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Did you guys use the anti-squeal goop on the back of ths shims where the caliper meets the pad and where the piston meets the pad? I did my brakes using all Nissan parts (front pads, rotors and all new hardware) and they don't make any noise whatsoever. Its been almost 5k since I did them.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmodi
Did you guys use the anti-squeal goop on the back of ths shims where the caliper meets the pad and where the piston meets the pad? I did my brakes using all Nissan parts (front pads, rotors and all new hardware) and they don't make any noise whatsoever. Its been almost 5k since I did them.
Yes, I applied the anit-squeal to both as you stated.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Are you sure its the fronts that are squealing seriously... make sure of that... it could be your rears that are squealing.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 AM

I remember when buying my brakes from Nissan that there are two different kinds of pads you can buy. Something like organic or semi-organic/metallic. Can't remember exactly what they're called I just remembered that it was two different prices. Obviously when i went with the cheaper priced ones I had the squeals like crazy. Went back a few weeks later and got the more expensive ones and have not had a squeal since. I was using all Nissan parts (rotors, shims, ect.) at the time. Now I have Brembo slot/x-drilled and still no squeal. Just make sure you stick with the more expensive pads from Nissan and ya shouldn't have a problem. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Made in Taiwan

i had the same too. but i then apply some silencer goop behind the pad and sprayed some stp brake parts cleaners on the pad surface and rotor surfaces. after that, it dont squeak anymore... go try it. you can get both from autozone easy
Old 07-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Hella internets

Werd, when your driving and its squeeling, while its squeeling, use the hand brake to slow down more, if the sqeeling stops, then you know its the rears...this same problem happened to me, i replaced the rotors pads and shim kit in the front, just to realize that the noise i was hearing was comeing from the rear brake pad warning sensor...i felt like an idiot....check, the squeels are REALLY hard to tell where they are coming from
Old 07-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good news. It seems I have finally fixed the problem thanks to your tips from above. I tried the handbrake method mentioned above, and the noise would stop when applying the handbrake. So I went and purchased new pads, but was suprised to see the old pads were only about half way worn out vs. the fronts that were down to the built in pad squealer. Against my better judgement that this could still be the root of the problem, I went ahead and replaced the pads. My hypothesis it that the problem could have just been that all of the grease was gone from the shims? In any event, after replacing the pads and applying the grease, I went for my a test drive and to my suprise no noise was heard for the first time in five months! I hope the no noise keeps up and would like to thank everyone again for their input on this matter.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good news. It seems I have finally fixed the problem thanks to your tips from above. I tried the handbrake method mentioned above, and the noise would stop when applying the handbrake. So I went and purchased new pads, but was suprised to see the old pads were only about half way worn out vs. the fronts that were down to the built in pad squealer. Against my better judgement that this could still be the root of the problem, I went ahead and replaced the pads. My hypothesis it that the problem could have just been that all of the grease was gone from the shims? In any event, after replacing the pads and applying the grease, I went for a test drive and to my suprise NO noise was heard for the first time in five months! I hope this keeps up and would like to thank everyone again for their input on this matter.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Do I get a tax break?

glad you got it fixed.