4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone done a Motor Swap with a 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:03 PM

Anyone done a Motor Swap with a 4th gen?

I've been thinking about doing a motor swap and putting in a VQ35DE
with the 6speed transmission. Has anyone ever attempted this project or even thought about it?
If im correct i'd have to buy a motor, tranny, computer, and have custom engine mounts made. Im still new to the modding thing and i want to go all out.
(major reason i want this is to get the 3.5L engine and put the 4.3 stroke kit to upgrade it)

So if anyone has knowledge of this project or have any idea where i could ge more info, just post what ever you can.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just bolts right in. One day at the most
Old 07-27-2004, 02:10 PM

Yup, took me a few hours, even bolted on a dual exhaust with it too.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Am i on the correct track of thinking (tranny, motor, computer ect,.)
Is that 1 day for the mechanically enclined or one day for the mechanically stupid?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......................oh man, yall are just mean, jeff and ant, pickin on the new guy and making think the near impossible is more than just possible.

well, im goin to break it to ya, this project is probaly the hardest thing to do on the car, and when they say a day to do, they mean like a month for a VERY mechanically inclined person. there is a guy on here thats doin it and he is postin pics through his whole ordeal, his name is like vylsomax or something like that. if i were you i wouldnt even bother to do this.

just stick to your name and put a V2 supercharger in with a 50 shot and you will be more than happy, and with those two things your max will be faster than you could ever imagine.

good luck, and read the stickies...........ie: FAQS
Old 07-27-2004, 02:32 PM

*sniff* but i want a 4.3L 97 Maxima *sniff sniff*
Do they make a stroke kit for the VQ30DE???

Mechanically im a d00fis, i know absolutly nothing... i cant even change my own oil.. I can make my way around with electronic stuff, but when it comes to a rag & a wrench... i know didly squat?
Any Maxima enthusiests in the Rhode Island area???
(before my friends used to call me MattMaxima... then i totaled her, now im on my 2nd one hense _V2)

The reason why i wanna do it is because i love the 4th gen body style it rocks, but i love the 5th gen engine (just think a 4.3L Maxima....)

I should have one of them custom shops do it and just drop a crap load of $ then i'll have a 1 of a kind 4.3L Maxy =D
(then throw in a 50 to a 100 shot, and then... yea i'll race who ever =D)

What are some good mod's to start with for a beginer? i already got the gagues & gague rings in, clears, and vent visors.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:48 PM

y-pipe, intake, exhaust........all good mods to start out with. and yes you can make a 3.3 L stroker for our cars, its the internals of a 3.5 in our motors, so i hear, havent seen it yet though. but trust me, i wouldnt jump into the motor swap ordeal just yet, atleast wait until you blow your tranny or motor first.......like the saying goes, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:10 PM

Alright calm down before you wet your pants.

Since you can barely change your own oil or so you say, smarten up and read up on the FAQ's here, they will answer most if not all of your questions. Just like any car mods on ours will have an adverse affect on the desirability of your car. Just the basic Y pipe/intake/exhaust will make your car noisy.. then again it depends on what you want. Some people have not been able to pass emissions with their y pipe, then again most have... so theres another problem. Choose your mods wisely... I still regret using KYB GR-2 struts, those piece of crap blew out on me a week after I got them.

But then again if your using mommy and daddys money and can dump their cash into a custom shop then go ahead.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
VIP Maxima

Plug And Play Homie !

Old 07-27-2004, 03:32 PM

Top Quality Maxima Modding???

Thanks for the help =D

(i really cant change my own oil... i wish i could, i usually have the mechanic's @ work do it for me) So many MaxFaq's to read and not enough time to read them all.
I'm on my 2nd Maxy, and i already know what i want to put in for stuff.

Im actually looking for opinions on different product's, im just starting on all this cool stuff, and was hoping for a bit of advice, and see the luck people have had with different products.

I was thinking about the custommaxima.com duel exhaust, & an injen exhaust, not sure about the Y pipe. Also thinking about a high flow cat.