Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   on a hot day car won't start.... (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/249886-hot-day-car-wont-start.html)

juani 09-13-2004 12:50 AM

on a hot day car won't start....

i know this has been discussed many x 294923 times, so i tried to search.
but something's not working right with search function...so here it is...

my car won't start on hot days.
to be more detailed, when i turn key, it does nothing.
not even click sound. so i know it's not the starter.
sometimes it takes more than 10 minutes to get it started.
it wasn't this bad before but few days back, it just got this worse.
most people says it's ignition switch that went bad.
what could cause this problem???
could this problem be gone with push start button instead of turning the key?
just wanted to make sure before i make move.
Thanks in advance.

John

Daily Interlude 09-13-2004 05:44 AM

Mine has a hard time starting but it will atleast turn over. Occasionally I'll turn the key and for a split second, nothing happens. I find that when that happens, I wiggle the key a bit and it catches. Give that a try.

As for why it does that (and it's not key related), my Honda experience would tell me it's the main relay. I'm not sure where it's at (if it has one) on the Max but it was right behind the change tray (interior fuse box). If it wasn't totally bad, you could bang the lower dash in this area and it would actually help start it. Not sure if that's applicable here but maybe look into some sort of main relay being the culprit...

Stephen Max 09-13-2004 07:02 AM

Check for corrosion at the battery terminals.

ILLeSt MaX 09-13-2004 07:11 AM

i cant believe that your having a hard time starting your car in hot weather. usually, when its cold, it takes 2 or 3 shots to start the car, and usually i get a lound noise coming from the intake... but hey, my max is still running strong.

juani 09-13-2004 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Check for corrosion at the battery terminals.

all my other electrical stuffs works i.e cd player. could it still be the battery terminal?

juani 09-13-2004 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Daily Interlude
I wiggle the key a bit and it catches. Give that a try.

that way, it took 10 minutes to start the car....
before it starts within 2-3 turns but...
these days, it never wants to start!!

by the way anybody got a DIY push start button??
not trying to be a ricer or anything, i just want my car to start
without any problem.
sometimes when i'm in rush and it doesn't start, it piisses me off!!

apbrian112 09-13-2004 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxima8624
to be more detailed, when i turn key, it does nothing.
not even click sound. so i know it's not the starter.
John

if it's been getting harder and harder to start your car, don't count out the starter. my starter did this and when it finally went out it wouldn't turn over at all. good luck.
-brian-

juani 09-13-2004 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by apbrian112
if it's been getting harder and harder to start your car, don't count out the starter. my starter did this and when it finally went out it wouldn't turn over at all. good luck.
-brian-

starter has been replaced about 3-4 months ago.
the reason why i changed it was the same reason as i mentioned above.
so i figured it's not the starter that's causing the trouble.
on a cool day or at night, it starts real good.

apbrian112 09-13-2004 09:41 AM

hmmm... if it's a remanufactured unit it could have already gone out. several org members have had this happen to them. (hopefully mine holds out) sounds like your ignition switch though, if you can start it by wiggling the key around.

PedalKick 09-13-2004 09:52 AM

Use a multi-meter or 12volt test light and check if 12v is getting to the terminal on the starter solenoid. If there is power there when the key is in the crank position, and the starter does not turn,then there is a problem with the starter. If there is no power or only sometimes, then the ingition switch is the most likely culprit. You need to do this check.

96pearlmax 09-13-2004 10:01 AM

all my other electrical stuffs works i.e cd player. could it still be the battery terminal?

Yeah. These things will still work. You need to check the connection from the battery to alternator/starter. That line has corroded

Stephen Max 09-13-2004 10:18 AM

Yes, they draw very little current compared to a starter.

motocross416 09-13-2004 10:19 AM

Check your fusible links under the hood. I had a problem where anything that did not run off my key worked, but if I put the key in the ignition, it would do nothing. They are behind the battery. Turn your key to the "on" position, go under your hood and wiggle the ignition fuses. Thats what I had to do to my maxima, just replaced two at $15 a piece and it has started fine since then

Nismo3112 09-13-2004 01:47 PM

ignition switch ignition switch ignition switch ignition switch ignition switch ignition switch.. REPLACE IT.