4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car that Bounces - Is it the shocks or springs?

Old 04-09-2001, 11:32 AM

While driving to the Import Show at Atlantic City this weekend I realized how bouncy my car is even on highway roads. Friends following my car asked if I have cut springs.
The ride became worse in NY due the road conditions over there.

I have Ground Control and Tokicos. Front and back are lowered to about 2.5 fingers between tire and fender well.

What causes the extreme bouncyness. The Ground Controls or are the Tokicos blown? Anyone care to give a a hand here.

-Thanks!
Old 04-09-2001, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Tokico's are probably overburdened by the coilovers. People have had problems with Toks on Eibachs and H&Rs, and your car is probably lower than either of those two. Get a set of Koni's and the ride will just be hard, but not bouncy.
Old 04-09-2001, 05:08 PM

It's both the springs and shocks. The Tokicos suck, flat out, they're no better than stock. I have the same combo you do, and the ride is bouncy. If I raise the car up some, it rides a little better, not much, but a little. But the shocks are still overwhelmed due to the spring rate. I used to have Intrax springs on the Tokicos, and the ride was still bouncy. The Intrax have a much lower rate than the ground controls, but it still bounced. I noticed no difference when I swapped from stock shocks. Biggest waste of $300 on my car...

These days since show season started this year, my car is always slammed. 1 finger of gap or so, and the ride is really bad. Most of the time it's livable, but when I hit big bumps or dips, car gets all over the place.

If you get Konis, your ride will get less bouncy. IF you don't slam your car. If you do, the car will still ride on the bumpstops and bottom out all the time. So if you drop your car too low with Koni's, it will still bounce. Ideally, we would need shocks with shortened bodies to kill the bounce, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon...
Old 04-10-2001, 08:57 PM

Bouncy suspension

Shadow: You have the same problem too? That sucks. Why don't you get a set of konis yourself. I am about to do it, the only hesitation I have is that the front struts will require some drilling and stock part modification.

Anyhow, any news on the KYB AGX?
Old 04-10-2001, 10:03 PM

I'm not getting the Koni's because it's not going to fix the problem. Like I mentioned earlier, if your car is slammed, the Koni's won't fix anything. Your car will still bottom out and you'll still bounce. Nissan's have very little wheel travel. When my car is dropped, I checked how much travel I had left. I had about 1.5" before bottoming, not very much. I'm also afraid that the Koni's will clunk if not installed properly. I figure I'll hold out for either shocks with a shortened stroke that, or get real coilovers. I'm just waiting for a company to make them besides Cattman. I almost got his coilovers, but after hearing stories about how many people broke the damn things and my personal experience with his customer service, not getting anything Cattman. My friend has broken his back shock several times with his Cattman's, same problem some other people have had the same thing happen.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:58 PM

get the konis

i had my gc on with stock struts for the whole summer slammed to the max. it was so fricken bouncy i got made fun of, and one time a guy in a lowrider pulled up to me and asked if i had hydrolics lol. bouncy car is dangerous man definitly put the konis in, after i did my car handles like a bmw (somewhat) i have full drop on the front but still have 1.5 finger gap(tryin to lower more but i aint cuttin my gc) the back has no tire gap and that is when the gc is raised all the way. i can lower the back of the car so low that u can barley see my tires on my stock 16 se rims. im side tracking any ways put konis in slam your car, u will still bottom out on big bumps and little boucy in the front but its so much better than tokios
Old 04-11-2001, 10:07 PM

Re: get the konis

How long have you had the Konis for? People say that they will also go bad soon if you slam the car low with the Ground Controls.

Originally posted by max1ma97se
i had my gc on with stock struts for the whole summer slammed to the max. it was so fricken bouncy i got made fun of, and one time a guy in a lowrider pulled up to me and asked if i had hydrolics lol. bouncy car is dangerous man definitly put the konis in, after i did my car handles like a bmw (somewhat) i have full drop on the front but still have 1.5 finger gap(tryin to lower more but i aint cuttin my gc) the back has no tire gap and that is when the gc is raised all the way. i can lower the back of the car so low that u can barley see my tires on my stock 16 se rims. im side tracking any ways put konis in slam your car, u will still bottom out on big bumps and little boucy in the front but its so much better than tokios
Old 04-11-2001, 10:28 PM

Re: Re: get the konis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaxMA
[B]How long have you had the Konis for? People say that they will also go bad soon if you slam the car low with the Ground Controls.

about 4 months