4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sealing the Oil Pan..Anyone..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 05:02 PM

I went to the dealership to get my oil changed and was told that my oil pan had a small leak and needed to be re-sealed. The estimate I received was $500.00. When I talked to one of the service people they advised me that the pans did not need to be re-placed, but that they only needed to be re-sealed. I looked through the Haynes manual and it looks somewhat difficult, but for $500 I might be willing to try it myself. My biggest task to date was replacing an alternator in a 94 sentra. Has anyone had to re-seal their oil pan, or know of any problems I may encounter?
Old 04-12-2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Imagination
I went to the dealership to get my oil changed and was told that my oil pan had a small leak and needed to be re-sealed. The estimate I received was $500.00. When I talked to one of the service people they advised me that the pans did not need to be re-placed, but that they only needed to be re-sealed. I looked through the Haynes manual and it looks somewhat difficult, but for $500 I might be willing to try it myself. My biggest task to date was replacing an alternator in a 94 sentra. Has anyone had to re-seal their oil pan, or know of any problems I may encounter?
How small is a "small leak"? Are you making puddles in your parking spaces?

Don't overlook the possibility that your car has been misdiagnosed. Small oil leaks may come from a not-quite-tight oil filter or a defective oil pressure sending unit.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:44 PM

If it's just the steel oil pan, it's fairly easy to do. I dropped mine twice (preventative maintenance ) on my I30 and it took me a couple of hours. As Daniel said, the leak may be coming from somewhere else, though.
Old 04-13-2001, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
How small is a "small leak"? Are you making puddles in your parking spaces?

Don't overlook the possibility that your car has been misdiagnosed. Small oil leaks may come from a not-quite-tight oil filter or a defective oil pressure sending unit.
I am not leaving puddles in the parking space, but I am losing oil every week and a half. I will fill the oil up to normal levels, and than about a week and a half later I will be down almost a quart. The problem was first noticed at Jiffy Lube, and then when I went to the dealership they also diagnosed it the same (I didnt indicate I knew there was a problem to get an unbiased response).
I can look at the oil filter again, but I have changed the oil a few times and used standard Nissan filters and the problem was still there.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Imagination
I am not leaving puddles in the parking space, but I am losing oil every week and a half. I will fill the oil up to normal levels, and than about a week and a half later I will be down almost a quart. The problem was first noticed at Jiffy Lube, and then when I went to the dealership they also diagnosed it the same (I didnt indicate I knew there was a problem to get an unbiased response).
I can look at the oil filter again, but I have changed the oil a few times and used standard Nissan filters and the problem was still there.
You are losing a significant amount of oil, yet there are no puddles under the car. If you were burning this much oil there would be an unmistakeable blue cloud at the tailpipe. If you have no blue smoke, there is a leak. Since there are no puddles, it may be a leak which exists only when the engine is running. Please allow the engine to idle for 20-30 minutes (make sure it doesn't overheat) and look for drips on the ground. That will help locate the source.

If you have a floor jack and a pair of sturdy jackstands, put the front of the vehicle on jackstands for this experiment. This will allow you to slide under, afterwards, and look for which part of the engine is most wet with oil.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
You are losing a significant amount of oil, yet there are no puddles under the car. If you were burning this much oil there would be an unmistakeable blue cloud at the tailpipe. If you have no blue smoke, there is a leak. Since there are no puddles, it may be a leak which exists only when the engine is running. Please allow the engine to idle for 20-30 minutes (make sure it doesn't overheat) and look for drips on the ground. That will help locate the source.

If you have a floor jack and a pair of sturdy jackstands, put the front of the vehicle on jackstands for this experiment. This will allow you to slide under, afterwards, and look for which part of the engine is most wet with oil.
Thanks for the information, I'll try and do it this weekend and post what I find.