4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blown VQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 08:53 PM

I just heard about this in my town today that someone with a 95 SE Max blew their engine!!!! That really sucks for that person but how many of you guys on here ever hear of a blown VQ or ever blown one up yourself? Not me, that engine is made so well I am sure it would be really really really hard to blow it. Anyone have any ideas as to what would be a main cause for this engine to blow like that? I don't really know the details so just asking opinions
Just thinking it would be really hard to blow after being rated one of the 10 best for the past seven years. Oh and I don't think he had any mods yet, he said he was planning on putting 150 shot of NOS on it but he hadn't when the engine blew, by the way I didn't hear that he blew it from him, but from someone who knew the guy a little better?
Old 04-16-2001, 10:11 PM

Well, I've heard of two instances: 1) Russ destroyed his when he sucked in a bunch of water 2) ghettomax destroyed his with high volumes of NOS. I believe he got in the high 12's / low 13's with it though.

Maybe this guy blew his by forcing a downshift and over revving it?
Old 04-16-2001, 10:34 PM

there's a mpeg of a firebird on a dyno that gets this engine blown by too much nos
Old 04-16-2001, 10:45 PM

thought that was just an intake backfire?
Old 04-16-2001, 11:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think BrokenMotor over-revved his. It had to break somehow...
Old 04-16-2001, 11:48 PM

Overrevving will blow the head not the motor usually. He'd have to really overrev to blow the whole motor.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
I just heard about this in my town today that someone with a 95 SE Max blew their engine!!!! That really sucks for that person but how many of you guys on here ever hear of a blown VQ or ever blown one up yourself? Not me, that engine is made so well I am sure it would be really really really hard to blow it. Anyone have any ideas as to what would be a main cause for this engine to blow like that? I don't really know the details so just asking opinions
Just thinking it would be really hard to blow after being rated one of the 10 best for the past seven years. Oh and I don't think he had any mods yet, he said he was planning on putting 150 shot of NOS on it but he hadn't when the engine blew, by the way I didn't hear that he blew it from him, but from someone who knew the guy a little better?
well......that would be me! yes, i did blow the motor, cuz the motor wasn't ready for me. "10 best engines"? so?? it didn't say "10best "race" engines". lol, i am just kidding people, i missed shifted from 3rd to 2nd. NO Nitrous, i spun a bearing on number 1 cylinder, flooded some valves, smashed the number 1cylinder spark plug.....ect, ect. but still drives, beat a Si on the way home, after we changed out the spark plug, got some clicking sound and from exhaust sound like i have a big cam installed. i guess thats why they call it "THE 10 best engines". lol
Old 04-16-2001, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

well......that would be me! yes, i did blow the motor, cuz the motor wasn't ready for me. "10 best engines"? so?? it didn't say "10best "race" engines". lol, i am just kidding people, i missed shifted from 3rd to 2nd. NO Nitrous, i spun a bearing on number 1 cylinder, flooded some valves, smashed the number 1cylinder spark plug.....ect, ect. but still drives, beat a Si on the way home, after we changed out the spark plug, got some clicking sound and from exhaust sound like i have a big cam installed. i guess thats why they call it "THE 10 best engines". lol
LoL

You probably would still beat me with that broken engine
Old 04-17-2001, 04:52 AM

Well I talked to a guy in Boston about two years ago and he had a maxima se 97. I he said that his engine had something loose in it because the factory didn't tighten it right. So he was driving like 80 miles per hour and piston or some thing went thought the hood. He said that Nissan gave him a new engine but he was disappointed with them. I don't know how true this story was but that's what he said. Personally, I still think the VQ is bullet proof.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:17 AM

I just heard about this ... ... by the way I didn't hear that he blew it from him, but from someone who knew the guy a little better ...
This thread is based on hearsay, rumor, third-party information, and exaggeration.

Any engine can suffer catastrophic damage as the result of abuse (racing, driving through deep water), neglect (lack of coolant, lack of lubricant, low AKI fuel), or risky modifications (nitrous, supercharging).
Old 04-17-2001, 11:21 PM
edward079

About the ten best, Wards rated this right? How common is it to find Wards in the local Barnes and Noble or Borders? I havent seen one yet, which leaves me to wonder if Wards is credible. Not too long ago, I read an article (ironically) about how C&D was writing positively for car companies that paid them $$$. With Wards being the small publication that it is,... it leacves me to think ...why not them? I believe the max has one of the bes engines, but Im quite skeptical about This Wards rating at least. The mddia isnt always something to agree with without question, Auto pubs not excepted

Old 04-18-2001, 06:13 AM
Administrator

where do you live? i mean that tint has to be illegal in every damn state?

Old 04-18-2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by edward079
... I read an article (ironically) about how C&D was writing positively for car companies that paid them $$$. ...
I'd like to follow up on this. Please identify the article you read. Several years ago C&D boasted about their code of ethics and that they do not accept any gift or payment from car makers.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:34 AM

I know two people that have blown VQ engines . A friend of mine had a burned valved ( thus needed to have a valve job), on the way home from work the engine blew. I know another person who started the car on a cold morning (reving it ...this was pretty dumb on a cold morning) and two pistons smacked the valves and bent them.....Nissan replaced the engine under warranty.