Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   i have poor traction upon high rpm's. (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/268618-i-have-poor-traction-upon-high-rpms.html)

exit10 12-08-2004 06:43 PM

i have poor traction upon high rpm's.

i have a 96 5-spd with a drop in filter and a racing clutch. i notice somtimes when i really stomp on the gas in 1st or 2nd gear the tires make a loud jumping noise and the whole car shakes. i have brand new street tires on it also.

could this mean new motor mounts? It can get a pain in the ***. Also i think my alignment is off.

Ant96GLE 12-08-2004 06:49 PM

Its called wheel hop... bad struts will do it and so will bad motor mounts... it will ruin good motor mounts pretty quickly too... its also very bad for the transmission

DemonSpawn 12-08-2004 06:51 PM

It's called wheel hop ... no offense, but learn how to drive around it. If you continue to do it, you'll either blow your tranny or break an axle.

Of course, you could try urethane motor/tranny mounts as well. I made my own :)

Something else to consider is that a 'racing clutch' really isn't necessary in a basically stock maxima.

exit10 12-08-2004 07:40 PM

thats true, how can i prevent this from happening? how did you make your own mounts may i ask

MaximaSE96 12-08-2004 07:42 PM

what kind of clutch do u have

TonyGotSkilz 12-08-2004 10:22 PM

You get wheel hop in second gear on a stock maxima? Something i dunno about here? I mean i can chirp my 18's into second gear, but i damn sure can't lose traction for a significant amount of time in second gear

DemonSpawn 12-09-2004 04:09 AM

I can use to get it in 3rd gear ... just depends on how bad your mounts, struts, etc are. The more warn your front end is, the easier it is to get wheel hop.

As far as making my own mounts, I just used urethane on a stock mount. Cheap, easy and so far, it has worked rather well.

As far as prevention, dude it's like we all said:
1. New Trans Mount (at least check it)
2. New Struts/Springs
3. New Strut Upper Mounts
4. Get rid of that 'racing clutch', you don't need it. I have the original clutch in my car with 80K miles, no slipping and I race regularly.
5. Learn to launch the car better and feather the clutch more when shifting gears.

I'm curious too, what kind of clutch do you have?

exit10 12-09-2004 11:09 AM

im not sure. see i bought the car used a few weeks ago and im not really sure about a few things. Theres a lot of **** i want to fix and change and at this point its overwhelming being down 4,600 bucks from buying the car.

DemonSpawn 12-09-2004 07:26 PM

I must have been delerious when I wrote that first sentence in my last post, lmao!

What gives you the impression there is something other than a stock clutch in it? Did the person you purchased it from say there was? Either way, pulling the trans is easy enough to check, heheheh :)

BangNgears 12-09-2004 10:14 PM

a lot of your problem is probably just the colder weather. cold ground and cold tires don't stick. My max breaks free in first wherever i am on the rev band. You just gotta learn how to feather that throttle so you don't loose your fillings.

DemonSpawn 12-10-2004 03:59 AM

Burn Out's, GOoooOOOoood.
Wheep Hop, BaaaaaAAaaAaaaad.

TonyGotSkilz 12-10-2004 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by DemonSpawn
Burn Out's, GOoooOOOoood.
Wheep Hop, BaaaaaAAaaAaaaad.

:sprint:
and i'll add Burn outs Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!
$250 + to replace front tires bi-monthly BaaaaAAaaaaaaad!