4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Extended Warranties -- Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:19 PM

Extended Warranties -- Please help

Im looking at extended warranties and the two companies Im looking at are

AA Auto Warranty http://aaautowarranty.com
and
Extended Auto Warranty Corp http://click4warranty.com

Does anyone know anything about either of these comapnies?

Here are the 2 plans my 95 Nissan Maxima SE qualifies for, which one you think looks the best?

http://aaautowarranty.com/silver-advantage.htm
http://click4warranty.com/supremeplus.asp

Anyknow of any other good warranty companies
Old 12-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Ok, before you start plunking down big money for something you may never need, take a moment and think about it:

question #1 Do you really need an extended warranty?
How many miles do you have on the car? How well was it taken care of? Is it auto or Manual?

Maximas are pretty stout. their engines are non-timing belt, and thus are meant to be high mileage low maintenance. Ask around in the forum. The only things I see are autos needing work at high miles, and starters and alternators. Basic maintenance stuff. ( unless you get stupid with your car, then there is more)

I one time bought an extended warranty. It was on an Olds achieva SCX. The warranty cost me a grand. Did I need it? well, It is a GM, so I thought It would be good to have. I went through three alternators. ( I could have done it myself for half the cost) End result: about 800 in costs. So the warranty people made money on me.

All I have to say is: DO THE RESEARCH! ( before you buy it)
Old 12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have my mine through eagle warranty comp. I got a 3 yr 54k when i bought the car for $600-700, and renewed it when it ran out with a 4yr unkimited miles contract for $1000. Both were the best contracts available at the time. So far I haven't had the need to use it but atleast its there, to me its the same as have full coverage insurance, may not be neccasary but it def is worthwhile when something happens. I renewed mine mainly because I'm not making real good money right now and it was easier for me to save that grand up over the last year and pay for the warranty than having to worry bout cash if something does go wrong. Without warranty if I would have a motor or tranny or anything else major go I would prob be without a car for a while til i had money to fix. Also my last car I didnt have it on (grand prix) and I spent prob around 5k on repairs in the 3yr period I had it so a warranty would have been nice to have. Just some things to think bout, hope it helps.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:44 PM

Hey

Its got 80000 miles on it...

It was kept in good condition but when I bought it I took it to Triple A to get it checked out...

I need to replace the Front adn Rear Struts within a year or 2 - need to check if thats covered by the warranty.
Needs a new muffler - the outer shell on mine is rusted off
Air gap pipe and ringsneed to be replaced/fixed - not sure what that is, posted asking about this but no responses about it yet...

I just dont make a lot of money and couldnt afford the stuff if they did go out....
Old 12-22-2004, 03:58 PM

Exhaust looks bad

Also Triple A said my exhaust looked bad---

What besides my muffler is part of the exhaust? (sorry Im a newb so I apologize not know these parts names) I see under my car a pipe thats pretty rusted a bit (assuming its part of the exhaust) and about in the middle of the pipe it changes to almost like a threading and at the top that threading is off... If you dont know what I mean I will try and get a picture to show you all, so maybe you can infrom if that wil need to be fixed soon
Old 12-22-2004, 08:24 PM

anyone know
Old 12-23-2004, 08:35 AM

Some people like to have extended warranties just for peace of mind. At least that's what I think and what I did.

I purchased one in '98 when I bought a '94 Max. I have no regrets at all. At 54k, the torque converter on the tranny died. I didn't know it at the time but when it went to the dealer I was told the repair was covered because it was a CPO (certified pre-owned) vehicle under warranty.

Although I didn't use the warranty I had purchased at the time, I used it quite a number of times throughout my ownership. I replaced like 5 window regulators, CV boots/joints, motor/tranny mounts, valve cover gaskets, harmonic balancer and other items I can't remember. I know it was well worth because I always had parts replaced with original equipment and I know parts and labor was expensive. Then again the shop I took it to (serviced only Nissan/Infiniti) always replaced item at their slightest failure. For example, the motor mounts were only starting to go bad. The harmonic balancer was noisy only occasionally. The total surpassed the purchase price of the extended warranty, for sure though.

My advice...

Look at the terms carefully. If you drive a lot purchase a plan that provides more mileage over a certain time period. If you don't, then purchase one that provides coverage over a longer period of time versus mileage. I think it's a hand toss. The Maxima has a solidly built powertrain. Don't ever expect anything to happen to the engine itself. Now the tranny, I am iffy about that. But again, a lot of ppl here have had no problems and have high mileage on their original trannies.

Again, it is all about peace of mind...