Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Painting spark plug cover? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/27850-painting-spark-plug-cover.html)

Ravq 04-26-2001 08:22 PM

I plan on painting the fascia that covers the spark plugs not the valve cover but the piece with "Nissan" written on it and would like to know what kind of paint you guys that have painted them used? Hi-temp? I'm looking for something really glossy. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sprint 04-26-2001 08:23 PM

People have used hi Temp engine paint.. and then Clear coate after..

you can use tape to cover the nissan letters..

Ravq 04-26-2001 08:27 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
People have used hi Temp engine paint.. and then Clear coate after..

you can use tape to cover the nissan letters..

Any prepping required besides cleaning it? Do I need to sand or primer it?

Sprint 04-26-2001 08:40 PM

not sure.. jeff k did it.. you can ask him..

metallic97gxe 04-26-2001 08:56 PM

I just cleaned mine real good then painted and I did not use high temp paint....just clean it and let it dry tape what you don't want to paint and spray many light coats and you should be fine

Justin95SE 04-26-2001 11:25 PM

thats exactly what i did

i used a high temp engine paint.. oh yah, first i super duper cleaned it with B12, carb cleaner, works really good. then i clear coated it a few times. 6 mos and only one small scratch too. :)

sinewave 04-27-2001 06:02 AM

Wet sanding the cover with 600 wet-n-dry sandpaper in a sanding block will give you a much better final result.

Sprint 04-27-2001 06:30 AM

have i told you that your engine bay is sexy? :D

Originally posted by sinewave
Wet sanding the cover with 600 wet-n-dry sandpaper in a sanding block will give you a much better final result.

redmaxpa007 04-27-2001 07:45 AM

A little trick for covering the "NISSAN" on the spark plug cover.

put some grease on the top of the raised letters.... spray paint all you want... and when you finish spray painting and you can just wipe/peel off the grease and boomm...

lookin good..

my 2 cents

sinewave 04-27-2001 09:01 AM

Thanks SprintMax, I try to keep it clean.

I don't think I would try the grease trick. It takes so little in the wrong place to ruin a paint job. I used masking tape and spent an hour with an Exacto knife to trim it out. Someone a year or so ago said that they bought some liquid masking stuff at Home Depot. I never tried it, so I can't recommend it.

redmaxpa007 04-27-2001 09:04 AM

the grease took 2 minutes. use a little bit on your finger.. the letters are raised... it is kinda hard to mess it up...

dmbmaxima2k2 04-27-2001 12:31 PM

I DID IT

I did mine yesterday when i was painting the hub part of my rotors, you can see them with my new rims. I just taped off the black nissan center part and painted the NISSAN raised letter. I used the brake cleaner i had to clean it and it took the paint real good. I used high temp engine enamel and three coats of high temp clear coat. It looks mint.

nismomaxse97 04-27-2001 01:08 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
Thanks SprintMax, I try to keep it clean.

I don't think I would try the grease trick. It takes so little in the wrong place to ruin a paint job. I used masking tape and spent an hour with an Exacto knife to trim it out. Someone a year or so ago said that they bought some liquid masking stuff at Home Depot. I never tried it, so I can't recommend it.

Damn and hour, you are a definite entheusiast.
YOu can also use finger nail polish to paint it and then after painting just chip or rub it off with remover and cotton ball.

Ravq 04-27-2001 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I'm gonna try to tackle it on my next day off. :rollsmile