4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is K&N actually worth the $40?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is K&N actually worth the $40?

I have some generic air filter in my car now, it's in good condition and everything, but im wondering if a K&N panel filter is really worth the money. 40 bucks seems to be high for an air filter, so anybody with personal experience please post and let me know if it's worth it.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:43 PM

yes, your can clean and resuse the K&N. It will start to pay for itself down the line.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Doc

>>>>>>>>>.yes<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 PM

Well, 40 bucks is a lot of money to shell out one time for a filter, but you know the K&Ns are rechargable as opposed to paper filters. Instead of having to keep buying new filters everytime you have to replace it, you just clean the K&N and oil it.

So in the long run, its actually cheaper.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:46 PM

Ok thanks guys, going out and buying one right now.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:50 PM

I have improved throttle response and slightly better fuel economy with my K&N panel filter. I haven't had to oil it yet as I've only used it for about 7K. I will re-oil it in about another 15K, which will correspond to when I would normally toss out a regular paper filter.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:53 PM

I dont want to hijack the thread but are there any gains from the K&N filters?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by egxflash
Did you read what I just stated? That is my experience. Some say they may increase horsepower by say 1% but I'm not sure a dyno would reflect that. In combination with my Budget y-pipe I feel a significant improvement in throttle response and power. I suspect I am getting more airflow from the K&N panel air filter through the Budget y-pipe than I would with an OEM air filter.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:57 PM

yes yes and yes! Thanks for the vote 4x4
Old 06-30-2005, 12:57 PM

Minimal, you'd feel like you have a gain, if you air filter is pretty dirty when you put the K&N in.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I have improved throttle response and slightly better fuel economy with my K&N panel filter. I haven't had to oil it yet as I've only used it for about 7K. I will re-oil it in about another 15K, which will correspond to when I would normally toss out a regular paper filter.
Same here, I did notice a slightly better throttle response when I installed my k&n drop panel filter about a year ago. I can't say that I noticed a different in fuel economy though...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:01 PM

Did you read what I just stated? That is my experience. Some say they may increase horsepower by say 1% but I'm not sure a dyno would reflect that. In combination with my Budget y-pipe I feel a significant improvement in throttle response and power. I suspect I am getting more airflow from the K&N panel air filter through the Budget y-pipe than I would with an OEM air filter.

Im running the same setup with the budget Y. I noticed that along with the exhaust sound, the intake got a helluvalot louder as soon as I put that Y in.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 PM

Im running the same setup with the budget Y. I noticed that along with the exhaust sound, the intake got a helluvalot louder as soon as I put that Y in.
I just have the stock air box, K&N panel filter and Budget y-pipe and there is absolutely no discernible noise difference at idle or when cruising, just a slight growl at WOT, which I must admit I like and I'm not into noise. I had the K&N filter in for about a month before I had the Budget y installed and there was a slight noise difference at WOT as well, again more of a slight growl than anything else.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
I Broke OT

yes. i also feel better throttle response. although i aldo did clean my throttle body so...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM

you folks feel a better throttle response. did you folks compare it to a new generic air filter?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM

The K&N stock box replacment is a direcet drop in correct? I don't have to change anything on the intake or throttle body? Thanks, I need one badly....
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by loe max
Sooo, its up to you if you feel that its worth the price to buy a $40 drop in, and then also purchase the recharging kit along with it at additional cost.
Here, I'll quote myself again.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Loe max
Air filters are suppost to be changed about every 30,000 miles. If you purchased an air filter at $5 a pop, you'll have to change the air filter 7 times (210,000 miles) to meet the same price as the K&N filter. Sooo, its up to you if you feel that its worth the price to buy a $40 drop in, and then also purchase the recharging kit along with it at additional cost.
Yeah, I have it, and would say not worth it. Just replace with OEM, and keep 1 OEM as a spare. When the spare goes in, buy another 2 OEMs. It would be quite a while before the $40 plus $11 for the cleaning kit is gone. Yes, the new K&N has better flow than OEM. The reoiled and cleaned K&N has less flow than a new OEM.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Yeah, I have it, and would say not worth it. Just replace with OEM, and keep 1 OEM as a spare. When the spare goes in, buy another 2 OEMs. It would be quite a while before the $40 plus $11 for the cleaning kit is gone. Yes, the new K&N has better flow than OEM. The reoiled and cleaned K&N has less flow than a new OEM.
I don't know if we should believe you because you use 87 octane gas as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:17 PM

Air filters are suppost to be changed about every 30,000 miles. If you purchased an air filter at $5 a pop, you'll have to change the air filter 7 times (210,000 miles) to meet the same price as the K&N filter. Sooo, its up to you if you feel that its worth the price to buy a $40 drop in, and then also purchase the recharging kit along with it at additional cost.
I would like to know who gets 30k out of an OEM air filter. I was tossing mine away after 22,500 miles before I bought my K&N filter and they were always black and I'm the same guy running original OEM platinum plugs with 59K on them, going on 11 years old.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM

I would like to know who gets 30k out of an OEM air filter. I was tossing mine away after 22,500 miles before I bought my K&N filter and they were always black and I'm the same guy running original OEM platinum plugs with 59K on them, going on 11 years old.

Ok now apply that same math as above and you'll come to 157,500miles before the K&N filter will pay itself, and thats not including purchasing the recharging kit...

If you include the approximate price for the recharge kit, it comes to 202,000 before the K&N panel filter pays for itself.

To answer the original question again, take that math above and you make the choice if its worth it to you. Don't make us make that decision for you.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:36 PM

Ok now apply that same math as above and you'll come to 157,500miles before the K&N filter will pay itself, and thats not including purchasing the recharging kit...

If you include the approximate price for the recharge kit, it comes to 202,000 before the K&N panel filter pays for itself.

To answer the original question again, take that math above and you make the choice if its worth it to you. Don't make us make that decision for you.
I can't buy an air filter in British Columbia for my Nissan for $5, absolutely no way. I paid Cdn$11.91 for one at a discount auto parts store in March 2002. I replaced it with a K&N filter in May 2004 for Cdn$54.61. So I can only get about 4.5 of them for the cost of a K&N. I am not going to do the math because I feel my Maxima performs better with a K&N filter based on my butt dyno, I get better fuel economy and I could care less what the K&N cost.

If everybody did the math you suggest then no one would buy synthetic oil either.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:41 PM

If everybody did the math you suggest then no one would buy synthetic oil either.
Or how about you stick with air filters instead of bringing in another issue?

Here in America, which is where the original thread maker is from, you can purchase paper filters for around $5.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:45 PM

Also regarding the 30,000mile air filter change, this is whats recommended in the owners manual as well as my Haynes repair manual. I was using that as a general rule of thumb as its a standard with Nissan. I don't care when you decide to change you're air filter, there are too many variables.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:50 PM

I'm not going to argue with you. I know there are many variables. And a difference of opinion is what makes markets for products whether it be air filters, cars, stocks, real estate or whatever. It all comes down to individual preferences. I have my mind made up and if I ever change my mind I've got a regular air filter with 8K on it sitting in my K&N box and its not for sale.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:55 PM

It all comes down to individual preferences.
Holy crap? whats this, you're finally getting it!

I have my mind made up and if I ever change my mind I've got a regular air filter with 8K on it sitting in my K&N box and its not for sale.
This thread wasn't about your decision was it? I tried to be objective about K&N vs. paper filter and never did I list the pros, cons based on my own personal preference. The only issue I brought up was the math issue and provided and example to let the owner decide as there is no noticable difference in feel with either panel filter other than a placebo effect.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Schnell kaputt

I've got that K&N panel filter also. I noticed nothing. I would just stick with the regular paper filter..
Old 06-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Holy crap? whats this, you're finally getting it!

This thread wasn't about your decision was it? I tried to be objective about K&N vs. paper filter and never did I list the pros, cons based on my own personal preference. The only issue I brought up was the math issue and provided and example to let the owner decide as there is no noticable difference in feel with either panel filter other than a placebo effect.
All you introduced into this thread is some math. Who cares about the math if you have noticed an improvement in performance and fuel economy? I have noticed both and that is all I was stating. I was not suggesting that the K&N air filter is the panacea for the world's problem's. And don't lay this math trip on me, I'm an accountant and could care less about the math. For the same reason, I will be using OEM platinum plugs rather than coppers. Math be d@mned! Now what was I saying about synthetic oil!

Edit - And you did not comment about the performance of the K&N being a placebo effect in your previous threads, you have just tossed that out in your last post. So your little argument all comes down to math. Let's all buy 87 octane gasoline while we are at it.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 PM

All you introduced into this thread is some math. Who cares about the math if you have noticed an improvement in performance and fuel economy? I have noticed both and that is all I was stating. I was not suggesting that the K&N air filter is the panacea for the world's problem's. And don't lay this math trip on me, I'm an accountant and could care less about the math. For the same reason, I will be using OEM platinum plugs rather than coppers. Math be d@mned! Now what was I saying about synthetic oil!

Edit - And you did not comment about the performance of the K&N being a placebo effect in your previous threads, you have just tossed that out in your last post. So your little argument all comes down to math. Let's all buy 87 octane gasoline while we are at it.
Nissan recommends a minimum of 91 octane. Nissan doesn't cover your car under warranty if 87 octane is the culprit to the vehicles problem. Nissan OEM filter is a paper filter. Nissan doesn't cover the vehicle if the problem is caused by a oily MAF due to the K&N filter. Do you see a trend here? Yes my argument comes down to math, thanks for pointing that out, especially since I've already covered that area in my last reply.

The difference between running 87 octane to 91 octane on a drag strip is about 3.-.5 seconds. The difference between a paper filter vs. a k&n filter on a drag strip is .00000000000000000000000001-.0000000000000000002 seconds. Which will you more than likely feel? Which will you notice improved fuel economy with? A paper filter vs. oil filter or 87 octane vs. 91 octane? Which will you notice improved throttle response with? paper filter vs. oil filter or 87 octane vs. 91 octane?

This thread was about a filter, why are you bringing up your life story about how you are an accountant and bring up other subjects such as fuel or even oils? I'm an Electronic Data Interface Coordinator, whooooop-de-doooooooooo
Old 06-30-2005, 05:56 PM

Nissan recommends a minimum of 91 octane. Nissan doesn't cover your car under warranty if 87 octane is the culprit to the vehicles problem. Nissan OEM filter is a paper filter. Nissan doesn't cover the vehicle if the problem is caused by a oily MAF due to the K&N filter. Do you see a trend here? Yes my argument comes down to math, thanks for pointing that out, especially since I've already covered that area in my last reply.
Your argument is inane! And by the way, how many 4th Gen Maximas are still on warranty? Engaging in an intellectual debate with you is akin to getting into a street fight with an unarmed man. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Your argument is inane! And by the way, how many 4th Gen Maximas are still on warranty? Engaging in an intellectual debate with you is akin to getting into a street fight with an unarmed man. Enjoy!
You haven't brought up any valid points besides your placebo effect. I've brought up an objective defense using value through math. That math goes against your K&N filter and therefore you feel threatened because you wasted about $30-$40 on a filter that does nothing.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 PM

You haven't brought up any valid points besides your placebo effect. I've brought up an objective defense using value through math. That math goes against your K&N filter and therefore you feel threatened because you wasted about $30-$40 on a filter that does nothing.
I haven't seen anything definitive in your argument that proves it does nothing! For me it does something. Obviously for millions of satisfied K&N air filter owners it does something. Stick to your math, 1 air filter, 2 air filters,3 air filters, lol!.

Just to refresh your memory, the originator of this thread was asking for an opinion and I gave it to him. And along comes your math woop-de-doo!

If the originator wants an unbiased opinion on K&N air filters, I suggest he sign up to bobistheoilguy.com and peruse the Air Filters forum for a mature discussion of K&N air filters. You aren't likely to find one here at this rate.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:41 PM

I haven't seen anything definitive in your argument that proves it does nothing! For me it does something. Obviously for millions of satisfied K&N air filter owners it does something. Stick to your math, 1 air filter, 2 air filters,3 air filters, lol!.
Ok there are millions of owners of K&N, how many do you think use paper filters? I'm willing to wager more.

Just to refresh your memory, the originator of this thread was asking for an opinion and I gave it to him. And along comes your math woop-de-doo!
My math wasn't anyway insulting to you until you felt threatened by it and adding in other non-related issues (oil and fuel). My opinion for him is to look at purchasing a filter that does nothing in an objective manner.

If the originator wants an unbiased opinion on K&N air filters, I suggest he sign up to bobistheoilguy.com and peruse the Air Filters forum for a mature discussion of K&N air filters. You aren't likely to find one here at this rate.
My answer still sticks and was unbiased, yet you took offense to it because it didn't justify your purchase on the product.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:08 PM

Ok there are millions of owners of K&N, how many do you think use paper filters? I'm willing to wager more.

My math wasn't anyway insulting to you until you felt threatened by it and adding in other non-related issues (oil and fuel). My opinion for him is to look at purchasing a filter that does nothing in an objective manner.

My answer still sticks and was unbiased, yet you took offense to it because it didn't justify your purchase on the product.
One air cleaner, one smashed up car, two air cleaners, two smashed up cars, three air cleaners, one clutch. Audi's next?

I wish the originator of this thread good luck in whatever air cleaner option he chooses, regardless of the cost.

Sayonara, Loe Max!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 PM

Only on maxima.org could a thread about a K&N filter turn into 2 pages in just a few hours.

Thanks for the opinions though. I went to walmart because they have the cheapest ones, but being the dumba$s that i am, i forgot to bring the part number that i WROTE ON A PEICE OF PAPER TO BRING TO THE STORE WITH ME.

My question about it's worthiness was not about money saving/losing, it was more performance and reliability oriented, but i did not state this earlier. I'm going to go and get this tommorow, and schedule an appointment to tint the windows.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:28 PM

I got a fram air hog. its great.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 PM
vqmax

jesus christo!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
vqmax

just don't use a filter. don't worry about airflow either, sooner or later without said filter your car will explode. like in movies. like the fast and the furious. the movie everyone should quote. kidding.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
Only on maxima.org could a thread about a K&N filter turn into 2 pages in just a few hours.

Thanks for the opinions though. I went to walmart because they have the cheapest ones, but being the dumba$s that i am, i forgot to bring the part number that i WROTE ON A PEICE OF PAPER TO BRING TO THE STORE WITH ME.

My question about it's worthiness was not about money saving/losing, it was more performance and reliability oriented, but i did not state this earlier. I'm going to go and get this tommorow, and schedule an appointment to tint the windows.
I knew where you were coming from 4x4 Max and gave you my unbiased opinion. Sorry about the direction the thread took. Unfortunately it was influenced my a member who has crossed over to the The Dark Side and no longer owns a Maxima.

Post your opinion on the K&N at a later date.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:45 PM

K&N Filter seems better....

I haven't had the filter long enough to do a comparison. But this is my take on it as far as fuel economy.

Before I installed the K&N...I'd say I average about 17MPG because I drive mostly in the city and have an auto.
After I installed the K&N, I took my car in for AC inspection...heck, the estimate was $1400CDN...but thats besides the point. They had a hard time finding the leak in my AC...Now I'm assuming they're running my car with the AC on to test for leaks..I could be wrong though. But if my assumption is correct..they ran my car for almost 2 hours with the AC on and at idle. That must waste some gas. I finally filled up and figured that my gas mileage is 18.7MPG.

As for more power is concern...it did seem that the car revved easier (got to ~5600RPM) and had better throttle response but I still couldn't reach 100km/h from the stop sign to a safe braking distance of my house (around 150m. I used to be able to when I had a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT).

And I don't have any upgrades...All stock.

Quick Reply: Is K&N actually worth the $40?