4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Steering wheel to 97 steering wheel.... EXPERIENCED? Please step inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

96 Steering wheel to 97 steering wheel.... EXPERIENCED? Please step inside!

I just went through three pages of search results on this subject, so please, no "search" replies.

I have a 96 SE (again, after a bit of an absence from the .org) and have located someone locally with a 97 SE who is willing to swap me steering wheels (including airbag, cruise, etc...)

After going through all the threads that came up on my search, I still don't have a very definitive answer as to whether or not this is a direct swap. 96shogunmax (don't know if he is on the forum anymore) swapped his, and airbag harness and cruise harness matched perfectly. He said that he had to dremel the hole a bit bigger to fit around the clock spring. Another user had a 95-96 gxe, and when he did the swap, had to use the entire interior harness from the 97-99 SE.

Is there anyone here who has done this swap recently? Remember, I am not concerned with cost or availabity or anything like that, I just want to hear from people who have done this, and possibly see some pictures. I have not ventured out to pull mine apart yet or anything, so I am unclear on what the clock spring even is, or which hole you have to enlarge.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 96 SE wheel and airbag from my car have to be installed on his.

Now PLEASE, I am not looking for "I think it should work, I don't think it will work, :blah: " I am looking for HOW and WHY, and pics if you have them.

BTW, I have seen the altima steering wheel swap, and I am not sure that example is entirely relevant here, since the wheel he used is different from what I intend to use.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
Old 07-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Hooooooonda.....

This has been discussed already and there are numerous threads about it. As long as you have the 97 airbag with the wheel it's a deirect swap. Now close the thread.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
This has been discussed already and there are numerous threads about it. As long as you have the 97 airbag with the wheel it's a deirect swap. Now close the thread.
Did you read my post? I know it has been discussed already, and I know there are numerous threads. I read them. As near as I can tell, I read them all. I searched "steering wheel swap" in the 4th gen forum, and then read every relevant thread, and I still came away unclear on the issue.

There are a few specific things that I want to know, and that is why I asked for input from those who have actually done the swap. Have you done it? If so, can you shed some light for me what needs dremmeled, how much, and whether or not there will be issues putting putting my steering wheel and airbag on the 97?

Thank you for your input, but until I get some guidance (or a moderator choses to close it,) the thread stays open.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 AM

to the top!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I am also wondering about this swap. Mainly if the cruise control buttons will connect to the old wiring harness.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 AM

Well guys, I made the attempt. It didn't work in my case. The steering wheel from the 97 mounted up just fine in my car, but I never did connect the airbag or cruise to see if they worked, but the cruise from the 97 had a 4 pin connection, and the cruise from my 96 had a three pin connection. They might have still worked, but I did not get that far.

The clocksprings on the cars were different from each other. There was something rubbing or pressure in a bad place on the 97 when I put my 96 steering wheel in it. Made a REALLY loud squeeling noise when you turned the wheel. REALLY loud. Not cool at all. I was so stoked about the swap, and super dissapointed when it didn't work out. I removed some plastic from the back of the wheel to see if that was where it was rubbing, to no avail.

Oh well, wasn't meant to be I guess!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:40 AM

You shouldn't quit. You are already in there. Compare the back of the steering wheels and see if there are major differences from 96 to 97. Was the wheel seated down all the way? More importantly, did you center the spiral cable correctly? I am just going by my Chilton repair manual.

Originally Posted by fst96se
Well guys, I made the attempt. It didn't work in my case. The steering wheel from the 97 mounted up just fine in my car, but I never did connect the airbag or cruise to see if they worked, but the cruise from the 97 had a 4 pin connection, and the cruise from my 96 had a three pin connection. They might have still worked, but I did not get that far.

The clocksprings on the cars were different from each other. There was something rubbing or pressure in a bad place on the 97 when I put my 96 steering wheel in it. Made a REALLY loud squeeling noise when you turned the wheel. REALLY loud. Not cool at all. I was so stoked about the swap, and super dissapointed when it didn't work out. I removed some plastic from the back of the wheel to see if that was where it was rubbing, to no avail.

Oh well, wasn't meant to be I guess!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
You shouldn't quit. You are already in there. Compare the back of the steering wheels and see if there are major differences from 96 to 97. Was the wheel seated down all the way? More importantly, did you center the spiral cable correctly? I am just going by my Chilton repair manual.

Here is what I think was the problem. The backs of the steering wheels were similar, but there was plastic on the back of the 96 steering that we remove to see if that rectified the problem. It didn't. The clocksprings seat differently on the different steering wheels, and the wires for the horn and airbag thread through different spots on the steering wheel. It was okay on the 97 steering wheel, but when I put the 96 wheel on the 97, the small square raised rubber spot where the wires come out of the clockspring went to the right too far, about 1 cm too far to the right, so the steering wheel wasn't seating properly. Maybe that is the spot another .org member mentioned when he was talking about having to dremel a hole larger. Actually, he was talking about the 97 wheel, not the 96. But maybe if I had dremmeled the hole larger to accomodate that rubber piece and the wires, it would have seated properly. I can pull my steering wheel and dremmel that part ( or see if it can be dremmelled) before taking his apart again. Of course, they are all reassembled already!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 AM

Gotcha.......so the 97 wheel fits on your 96. But your old 96 wheel doesn't fit your friend's 97. I wish I could help you more.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Armed and Dangerous

So just to clarify... The 96 car accepted the 97 wheel just fine, even though you have not attempted to mess with the cruise control yet. But, the 97 car did not accept the 96 wheel. So essentially the conversion did work.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
So just to clarify... The 96 car accepted the 97 wheel just fine, even though you have not attempted to mess with the cruise control yet. But, the 97 car did not accept the 96 wheel. So essentially the conversion did work.

I believe it would have worked, yes. No one who had done this swap before complained about the cruise not working (as far as I recall) so I think that would have been okay. I wasn't AS concerned about the 97 wheel working on mine, I was reasonably confident it would, but I read nothing about a 96 wheel working on a 96.... So therin lies my dilemna. I will attempt to dremel the hole on my 96 wheel and reattempt the swap.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:12 PM

Noone has really done it that way, 96 wheel on a 97. People like the 97 wheels better. Good luck though.

I believe it would have worked, yes. No one who had done this swap before complained about the cruise not working (as far as I recall) so I think that would have been okay. I wasn't AS concerned about the 97 wheel working on mine, I was reasonably confident it would, but I read nothing about a 96 wheel working on a 96.... So therin lies my dilemna. I will attempt to dremel the hole on my 96 wheel and reattempt the swap.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:19 PM

Noone has really done it that way, 96 wheel on a 97. People like the 97 wheels better. Good luck though.

Doing it this way would result in it being FAR less expensive for me! As in "free." Well, not really, I am giving him a pioneer headunit for making the trade with me.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Armed and Dangerous

+1 the 97+ wheel is much better looking.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:42 PM

I understand you completely. If your old steering wheel won't fit his 97, then you don't get a 97 wheel. I know exactly how it is. I wanted a 97 wheel myself but I have given up trying because its too expensive. Even the junk yard wants $75 for the wheel w/o the airbag, they really don't have any steering wheels w/ airbags as most of the vehicles in there have been in a collision. Then you pay several hundreds of dollars to get the airbag ontop of that. Just not feasible for me to keep pursuing it. I am contemplating on getting aftermarket, smaller wheel with fat grips. All I gotta get with that is a hub. I will end up relocating the c/c switches but I know it won't be just a quick thing...I'd have to come up with a pod where I can mount the switches. Still in planning stages but I doubt if it will ever materialize.

Doing it this way would result in it being FAR less expensive for me! As in "free." Well, not really, I am giving him a pioneer headunit for making the trade with me.