Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   so I'm a throwing MAFS code, but the car runs fine... (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/318915-so-im-throwing-mafs-code-but-car-runs-fine.html)

mchne 08-27-2005 01:53 PM

so I'm a throwing MAFS code, but the car runs fine...

quick story:

yesterday I reverted my intake back to stock... K&N panel filter with a few holes drilled into the bottom half of the airbox (prior, I had the top of the box off with a cone filter setup). while I was at it, I took part of the manifold off and cleaned my throttle body.

afterwards, the CEL tripped an 0102 code (MAFS fault). I rechecked everything, because I suspected that maybe one of the plugs on the MAFS was loose or disconnected... but everything was fine. besides, the car probably wouldn't have revved past 2500 if the plugs were open, anyway.

my car runs just fine, and everything under the hood is intact. why am I still seeing this code?

njmodi 08-27-2005 02:39 PM

Reset the ECU, see if the code comes back.

mchne 08-27-2005 02:41 PM

tried that... twice. code came back both times.

mchne 08-28-2005 09:22 PM

:squint: bump

njmodi 08-29-2005 05:28 AM

Try unplug the MAF, start the car and see if it revs over 2500 rpm

I'd say it's time for a new MAF...

killerVQ30DE 08-29-2005 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mchne
quick story:

yesterday I reverted my intake back to stock... K&N panel filter with a few holes drilled into the bottom half of the airbox (prior, I had the top of the box off with a cone filter setup). while I was at it, I took part of the manifold off and cleaned my throttle body.

afterwards, the CEL tripped an 0102 code (MAFS fault). I rechecked everything, because I suspected that maybe one of the plugs on the MAFS was loose or disconnected... but everything was fine. besides, the car probably wouldn't have revved past 2500 if the plugs were open, anyway.

my car runs just fine, and everything under the hood is intact. why am I still seeing this code?

Back probe the connectors of the MAF.. .should be less than 1volt at idle
and then between 1volt and 3volts at WOT. I plugged my Consult interface in last night when I had stalling issues.. it showed proper voltages telling me the MAF was fine ... heh I had a the elbow pipe off next to the scoop intake from when I was doing starter install... so it was getting more Air than the MAF was seeing.. Hey check for looses intake pipes

mchne 08-29-2005 05:07 PM

Try unplug the MAF, start the car and see if it revs over 2500 rpm

I'd say it's time for a new MAF...
if the MAF is unplugged, of course it won't rev past 2500 rpm. no reason to bother testing that. why would this be any justification for replacing my MAF?

Hey check for looses intake pipes
I'm going to check this out tomorrow. it's possible that I might not have sufficiently tightened the pipe that leads into the bottom of the airbox from the scoop above the radiator. I took it apart and put it back together in order to remove the airbox to make holes in it. thanks.

tuko 08-29-2005 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mchne
quick story:

my car has evap problems and needs three solenoids replaced but it still runs fine. :ben:

killerVQ30DE 08-29-2005 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by tuko
my car has evap problems and needs three solenoids replaced but it still runs fine. :ben:

:jeffy: :ban2: :smash:

maximizd97 08-29-2005 10:15 PM

Nissan ECU's are too freakin sensitive anyway...watch your gas mileage and I'm sure you know how your car can perform...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

mchne 08-30-2005 04:25 PM

problem solved.. the little air sensor that screws into the top of the airbox was loose.

silly silly.

njmaxseltd 08-30-2005 06:33 PM

Thats the air intake temperature sensor, it's got nothing do to with your Mass Air Flow sensor.

njmodi 08-30-2005 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Thats the air intake temperature sensor, it's got nothing do to with your Mass Air Flow sensor.

That's what I was thinking... wondering how a loose IATS would cause a MAF code to be thrown... :scratch:

jksterling 08-31-2005 11:13 AM

Similar Problem MAFS

After replacing VSS, I got 3 new codes
0102 MAF sensor
0401 Intake Air Sensor,
and 0304 knock sensor
I presume these related codes came about due
to taking apart the intake piping. I have tried resetting ECU to no result.
I will try fiddling with the air temp sensor as well to see if that fixes.
BUT does anyone know if the ECU reset procedure is working?
I have reset it 10 times, get the same check engine light back again,
also I cannot retrieve codes from check engine light. had to ask my friendly Autozone guy to use his free scan to get codes.