4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clogged sunroof drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 11:46 AM
Tim

Anyone have any experience with this? Front driver's side drain is clogged and an amazing amount of water comes into the car when it rains. Haven't had time to get it looked at professionally, and would really like to fix this myself if at all possible to save $. Have heard using compressed air to clear the drains, but also some warnings about making it worse if tubing becomes detached inside. Not sure how I would use compressed air anyway. Any advice appreciated.

Old 05-27-2001, 09:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sunroof clogged

I had this problem about a year after I bought my 95SE. A simple coathanger is the solution to your problem. There are 4 drain holes at each of the corners of the roof (when viewed from above the car). Open the roof and gently slide the hanger down the holes into the A-pillars and the rear pillars. Afterwards I tested my results by pouring water from a pitcher into each hole to make sure it drained adequately. It's been years since and I haven't had the problem again. Gotta love low tech solutions!

Page BF-34 in the FSM has a pretty bad pic, and doesn't help much. Haynes has even less. Let me know if you have questions.

enjoy the ride!

Originally posted by Tim
Anyone have any experience with this? Front driver's side drain is clogged and an amazing amount of water comes into the car when it rains. Haven't had time to get it looked at professionally, and would really like to fix this myself if at all possible to save $. Have heard using compressed air to clear the drains, but also some warnings about making it worse if tubing becomes detached inside. Not sure how I would use compressed air anyway. Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-27-2001, 02:32 PM
Tim

Re: Sunroof clogged

Thanks, great suggestion! I had tried different types of wire but could not get them to pass too far, then tried a coathanger and I think it worked! And I'm doing this as thunder is cracking and the sky is black, so just in time.
Water I poured did seem to go through, and I saw it draining at the wheel well. I am so happy. Now just need the car to dry out.

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2001, 07:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Sunroof clogged

Instead of waiting for the car to dry out, remove the control panel on the headliner. I think you'll find that there is a small puddle up there. Be prepared to get a little wet as you take it out. It's a small price to pay for getting it dry though. I guess I should have mentioned that in my other reply. Don't wait for it to get mildew-y. Reach up there as best you can and dry things out. You'll be glad you did.

Originally posted by Tim
Thanks, great suggestion! I had tried different types of wire but could not get them to pass too far, then tried a coathanger and I think it worked! And I'm doing this as thunder is cracking and the sky is black, so just in time.
Water I poured did seem to go through, and I saw it draining at the wheel well. I am so happy. Now just need the car to dry out.

Thanks again!