4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tokiko HP's with S-Techs ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:11 PM

Tokiko HP's with S-Techs ?

hey guys, i currently have eibach pro-kit on my car along with tokiko HP's.. i want to go lower and purchase S-Tech's from Tein. Is anyone here running this setup, or has any1 blown their struts ? I just really dont feel like buying Illuminas. WIll these HP's do ? The roads here aren't that bad. And i guess ill try to avoid major bumps, holes.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 PM

I have new set of the Illuminas, 5-way adjustable that I'm trying to get rid of... Never used them... Want them?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Always sunny in philly

stay away from tokico blues or kyb gr-2's. They are merely OEM replacements and will display a rough ride and will eventually blow out.

I am riding on progress and had tokico blues in the front and they just blew out. Installed a new set of Tokico illuminas and it rides like smooth silk
Old 09-02-2005, 10:08 PM
99Automagic

The blues blow out with extreme drops. So going lower on blues is not a great idea. I run on blues and matching Tokico springs (1.5" drop). I like them alot. The ride is nice and cushy and it's a definate upgrade from stock. I know alot of people say the blues blow out prematurely, but 90% of them never even tried them on their cars. They're just regurgitating what they've heard from others. You know how the org works. Half of the info here is usefull, half are rumors and guesses. Nismotic obviously has had a unsatisfactory time with them, but there are people out there running on blues the last few yrs without them failing. On my car, I blew out the driver side strut, but that's because of my driving habits. Along with the strut, I also killed the tie rod, bent the rim, and threw it out of alignment on that side. I'm guessing if I drove like a normal person, the blues would last quite a bit longer. Heavy wheel and tire setups also effect the longevity of your struts. My rims are 18lbs a piece and my tires are 22lbs. I think the combo is actually lighter than stock. Also take into consideration, the stiffness of the springs. 30% stiffer over stock, like the Tokicos that i run, or h&r's are well matched with the blues. If you go stiffer, like alot of people do with 50% stiffer springs over stock, then you'll need to upgrade to adjustables like Illuminas. The blues are not as bad as everyone says, you just have to do the math well.

If you're looking for a low drop or looking to run big wheels, I'd opt for the Illuminas. If you're going for a modest drop, running 17's, the blues are totally fine. In your case, you're looking to go lower. I wouldn't advise that on blues.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 PM
KH3 by popular demand

If you want low you can't go cheap on it and expect it to ride good. Illuminas have a lifetime warranty as long as the drop isn't more than 1.7. If you want low just save up for k sports and sell your current set up. I can't say s techs and illuminas because obviously of what the warranty says but that's your perogative. My stock se struts lasted over 3 years on Intrax springs. The rears finally blew, the fronts are still good though. If you want to keep the s techs get illuminas and extended travel strut mounts, if not opt for k sports.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Maxima Owner

U Gonna Sell Ur Eibachs
Old 09-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tokico Blues are garbage for performance driving on lowering springs. I ran the Eibach Prokit / Tokico Blue and after 10,000 miles it rode poorly and did not even handle all that great. I would suggest Koni Yellows, Tokico Illuminas, and KYB AGX's (in that order).
Old 09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
The blues blow out with extreme drops. So going lower on blues is not a great idea. I run on blues and matching Tokico springs (1.5" drop). I like them alot. The ride is nice and cushy and it's a definate upgrade from stock. I know alot of people say the blues blow out prematurely, but 90% of them never even tried them on their cars. They're just regurgitating what they've heard from others. You know how the org works. Half of the info here is usefull, half are rumors and guesses. Nismotic obviously has had a unsatisfactory time with them, but there are people out there running on blues the last few yrs without them failing. On my car, I blew out the driver side strut, but that's because of my driving habits. Along with the strut, I also killed the tie rod, bent the rim, and threw it out of alignment on that side. I'm guessing if I drove like a normal person, the blues would last quite a bit longer. Heavy wheel and tire setups also effect the longevity of your struts. My rims are 18lbs a piece and my tires are 22lbs. I think the combo is actually lighter than stock. Also take into consideration, the stiffness of the springs. 30% stiffer over stock, like the Tokicos that i run, or h&r's are well matched with the blues. If you go stiffer, like alot of people do with 50% stiffer springs over stock, then you'll need to upgrade to adjustables like Illuminas. The blues are not as bad as everyone says, you just have to do the math well.

If you're looking for a low drop or looking to run big wheels, I'd opt for the Illuminas. If you're going for a modest drop, running 17's, the blues are totally fine. In your case, you're looking to go lower. I wouldn't advise that on blues.
Cliffs: Tokico blues aren't all bad as said, but suggested to go with illuminas. Also, Nismotic is Gawd.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:49 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by Nismotic
Cliffs: Tokico blues aren't all bad as said, but suggested to go with illuminas. Also, Nismotic is Gawd.

I don't believe in God.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Putting those springs on those struts is a great way to blow the struts. Since I started modding my car, I have learned that you get what you pay for. Don't go cheap and expect to come out ahead.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:30 PM

THT... is that picture AFTER you lowered it? What size rims are those. I tried lowering mine, a 1996, and it was basically the same height as stock suspension... Got some $90 lowering springs off eBay, which are in-fact shorter than the stock springs, when un-compressed, but after putting one on, the height was like 1 mm lower...

What I'm trying to figure out is how low is "low". My car looks just likes yours right now, so just wondering if yours is lowered or not...

-Andrew
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Yes, that's lowered on H&R springs. Those wheels are 17" SSR GT1 Integrals. Rubber is 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. The wheel gap in front looks huge because of the angle the wheel is at.