4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems with front brakes after changing rotors and pads...Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Maxima lover

Problems with front brakes after changing rotors and pads...Please Help!

I changed my front rotors and pads about 3 weeks ago and ever since I keep getting a rattle noise when I go over bumps or when I shift into 2nd or 3rd hard. I took the wheels off again last night to see if I had done anything wrong, but I see no problems. It sounds like it is coming from the right side only. The noise doesn't happen when I go over a big bump with my breaks on.

I have heard about shims. Could someone tell me exactly what they are and if they would solve my problem. It is pissing me off because the first time my car is running good and strong, I have to drive around with this embarrassing noise. Please Help!

Thanks,
Brett

Old 09-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Thats your pads moving slightly and making the noise. You can usually solve this by installing a new shim kit from Nissan. Make sure you use plenty of anti-sieze as lube when you put everything back together. The pads should sit snugly, yet not be very tight. Too loose and you get pad rattle as you have.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:33 PM
99Automagic

It's your pads rattling around in the caliper. Slap on some anti-squeal compound on the back of your pads. Mine used to do that too. Go to your local auto parts place and grab a tube. It'll be blue in color.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Maxima lover

Thanks guys.
I was wondering also why the inside pad has a metel clip on the pad that seems to hold it tighter then the outside pad.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Maxima lover

I tried the blue grease stuff. I lubed the sh*t out of all of it and I still get a rattle. I guess I will have to buy the shim kit. Does anyone know how much it costs?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
99Automagic

This is just an idea, ...When I took apart my front brakes to cure the rattle, I forgot to reinstall the two wire clips that slip into the notches on the pads. I actually had to take everything apart again just to get them in. They keep the pads pressed up against the caliper, away from the rotor. I'll try to find some pics of it.

EDIT: nvm. I don't think that would be the cause. Some people have them on, some don't. But one more thing I forgot to mention. The metal plates that sit behind the pads came loose on mine and were rattling around. Maybe that could be something you could check. It's not the guides that the pads slide back and forth in, it's the plate the caliper piston comes in contact with. Mine came loose, rattles around and actually got bent.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
This is just an idea, ...When I took apart my front brakes to cure the rattle, I forgot to reinstall the two wire clips that slip into the notches on the pads. I actually had to take everything apart again just to get them in. They keep the pads pressed up against the caliper, away from the rotor. I'll try to find some pics of it.

EDIT: nvm. I don't think that would be the cause. Some people have them on, some don't. But one more thing I forgot to mention. The metal plates that sit behind the pads came loose on mine and were rattling around. Maybe that could be something you could check. It's not the guides that the pads slide back and forth in, it's the plate the caliper piston comes in contact with. Mine came loose, rattles around and actually got bent.
Yea, my metal clips are in.

I don't have anything between the caliper piston and the back of the pad. Should I?