Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Whats the best intake for 4 GEN???? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/321842-whats-best-intake-4-gen.html)

mizmo21 09-16-2005 06:33 PM

Whats the best intake for 4 GEN????

whats the best intake for your maxima? i have 98 and i hear all this different stuff about intakes, WHAT DO YOU HAVE??? whats good for better acceleration in an auto? thanks in advance i really appreciate it

njmodi 09-16-2005 06:37 PM

:thread:

Stock intake > all other intakes.

cefiro8701 09-16-2005 06:38 PM

unless exhaust mods are present...then the story changes.

njmodi 09-16-2005 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mizmo21
Mods: Clear Bumber's , Gen2 CF Tails LED, Exhaust, Wood Das , bazo b52's, 30% tint, Same Color Door Pillars, cattman Y-pipe

What the heck is a bumber and a Das? :p

mizmo21 09-16-2005 06:39 PM

why does this thread suck? if it sucks why read it and repond,just cuz ur bored dont be mean, all i wanted to know was what was best for my max? and u hate for no reason?

and i have y pipe, cheap exhaust but better than stock

njmodi 09-16-2005 06:40 PM

I'm not hating :nod: I just like using that smiley...

I did answer by the way ;) - If you want sound, etc. then look into others. :wiggle:

mizmo21 09-16-2005 06:42 PM

yea im sorry, but really i dont know what to do, ive wanted one from the start i can finally post and i never know which one to get, what should i get for sound with out losing power some where in the band? i want good acceleration

njmodi 09-16-2005 06:45 PM

The stickies are your friend. Before you post a new thread, ask yourself, "Whats the chance that someone else has already asked this question?" Then look in ALL the stickies to see if it's already been answered. If you still don't find the answer, then start a new thread. There's no point discussing the same topic over and over right?

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/

The site is down right now, try it later - it has answers for all your intake questions :nod:

Tatanko 09-16-2005 06:47 PM

Stock intake minus the intake silencers = SOME increased sound (not much), but retaining all the power. Better than stock and better than aftermarket, I say.

DanIAm 09-16-2005 06:48 PM

frankencar if any....you'd be better off saving your money for somthing more usefull though

sean05 09-16-2005 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DanIAm
frankencar if any....you'd be better off saving your money for somthing more usefull though

+1 on frankencar. love mine.

sonicrunch 09-16-2005 08:05 PM

DAMMIT read the stickies:soapbox:

First mod= y-pipe

end of story

walshy 09-16-2005 08:28 PM

keep it stock with a K and N filter..its the way to go

walshy

Tatanko 09-16-2005 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by walshy

walshy

Personally I believe even the K&N is a waste. But that's all through complicated math and the testimonials I've heard that it makes 0 difference in performance/sound.

kbmaxima 09-16-2005 08:50 PM

all intake threads should be *******-ed out. just as well. it's as annoying as any obscenity.

maxS 09-16-2005 08:50 PM

got this
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...1_144_full.jpg
not loud enough...

tavarish 09-16-2005 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
:thread:

Stock intake > all other intakes.

:sprint:

hack the airbox

Nissan 6 09-16-2005 09:42 PM

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Crap-Lock.jpg

Ceasars Chariot 09-17-2005 03:10 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=302634

read post #13

njmaxseltd 09-17-2005 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mizmo21
whats good for better acceleration in an auto?

Leave the stock set up in there, just use the resonator tube as a source for more airflow into the system.

There is no aftermarket intake that beats the throttle response of the stock set up with auto trannys.

maxS 09-17-2005 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Leave the stock set up in there, just use the resonator tube as a source for more airflow into the system.

There is no aftermarket intake that beats the throttle response of the stock set up with auto trannys.

I always thought that throttle response of an ENGINE is not related to TRANSMISSION attached to it :scratch:

ThisMaxIsTight 09-17-2005 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by maxS
I always thought that throttle response of an ENGINE is not related to TRANSMISSION attached to it :scratch:

I wouldnt question Tom, he knows more than 99% of people on the org

maxiquin 09-17-2005 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by walshy

walshy

thats the way to go. aftermarket intake makes a crappy sound! get tired of it after awhile. promise me you'll regret takin the stock intake off!

nismology 09-17-2005 11:29 AM

PR style cold air intake w/stock resonator > stock > other aftermarket intakes

zander 09-17-2005 11:54 AM

hacked air box with a cold air tube is what i have, a little louder then stock, but still pretty refined. As for gains in an auto, its not really noticable, but sounds better without the loss of bottom end that you will see with an aftermarked open air filter.

nismology 09-17-2005 11:56 AM

The loss of low-end has nothing to do with an open air filter. It has to do with the removal of the stock resonator.

joosdawg 09-17-2005 12:01 PM

i had a frankencar intake on my 99 and loved the sound, lost a little low end but all was fine. I just ordered another intake from frankencar weds and they said it would ship out thursday but i never got any emails, and i called 5 times weds to get my answer of it will ship thursday then 5 times thursday for tracking but they said theyd email me and that was at 6pm and its now saturday. They said it should be here today but ive been waiting all day and nothing came :( im begining to not like them so much... just figured id let anyone know that reads this sometimes theres problems with them

ny96max 09-17-2005 12:04 PM

Place Racing upper intake tube and a K&N cone filter.... best one i had in the max. I went through Stillen, OEM with K&N, PR CAI and all made the car feel like crap off the line.

my.o2,

Ant

Batxel 09-17-2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxS

I would say so that's why I never bought an automatic before. I can't stand waiting for a transmission to make up its mind. The transmission presents the load to the engine. However, I don't think what tranny you have should matter with regards to what intake system you have. If an intake mod is going to help a manual it should help the auto and vice versa.

It would nice though if "senior" members of this forum would put a link to the post relating to the question instead of just saying it's in the stickies. There are a lot of stickies and some people may not feel like pageing through the stickies for hours to find an answer to their question.

zander 09-17-2005 12:18 PM

I removed the lower airbox so the filter was exposed and notice a lag at the low end, the resonator between the maf and the manifold was still there, is this the resonator you are talking about nismology?

Tatanko 09-17-2005 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
The loss of low-end has nothing to do with an open air filter. It has to do with the removal of the stock resonator.

Not entirely true. The resonator is part of it, I'd say 75%, but open air filters will still create SOME lag, and will make less power because you're either using a CAI or bringing in hot air...either setup will cause power loss somewhere in the RPM range. Heck, I noticed a tiny bit better response just going from no snorkel (but stock) to putting the snorkel back on.

sonicrunch 09-17-2005 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6

:lol: :lolrun: :igor&donk :calvin:

nismology 09-17-2005 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Not entirely true. The resonator is part of it, I'd say 75%, but open air filters will still create SOME lag, and will make less power because you're either using a CAI or bringing in hot air...either setup will cause power loss somewhere in the RPM range. Heck, I noticed a tiny bit better response just going from no snorkel (but stock) to putting the snorkel back on.

You miss my point. Refer to post #24.

mansurxk 09-17-2005 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6

holy shiznit thats funny...

Tatanko 09-17-2005 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
You miss my point. Refer to post #24.

I don't really agree with that post. Not for an auto 4th gen, anyway.

cefiro8701 09-17-2005 09:57 PM

i have a hacked...and you lose a noticeable amount of bottom end...also the lag.

i put in the SNORKEL and it didnt help...psht....

i called up nissan this morning and i got a quote for 128.88

GRREEATT!!

RicoSuave98 09-17-2005 10:24 PM

for my auto i bought an PR style, but only used it as ram air. it made a big sound with little show. then my buddy found a cone filter and i let him put it on his 2k, and went back to stock for a week, then put on an injen kit with k & n filter. the sound is less than the ram, but i think it more responsive than either. after the ram, when i went back to stock i really missed it. probably more that sound than anything. the injen style kit isnt quite as loud, it picks up around 3k or 3500, but the ram was gettin loud at about 2500. i like the sound from the injen style kit better, it seems less ricey and annoying. oh i used the k & n filter for the last month on the ram and then carried it over to the injen, and the filter u use makes a HUGE difference.

i'll probably get flamed for this cuz i really think it makes it more responsive, but its my honest testimony. i dont have a y pipe yet (its in the mail) or anything else im completely stock beside the injen CAI and i love it so far. i cant wait to get the Y

nismology 09-17-2005 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I don't really agree with that post. Not for an auto 4th gen, anyway.

It's the best ESPECIALLY for an auto. You can't control launch RPM like with a 5-speed, so you need all the low-end you can get. It's the reponsiveness of the stock setup when you use the stock resonator plus the advantages of cooler, ambient air. Dave B tested all kinds of setups and his favorite by far was the PR CAI with stock resonator. The best of all worlds...

Swazey 09-18-2005 12:39 AM

frankencar, i love the way it sounds, especially at about 6000 rpm. but i hear the stock is actually the best way to go performance wise. stock doesnt give you that sick sound, so for the sound go with whatever you think will look the best? idk, i think theyre all pretty much the same. except for the injen, thats pricey and it sits right near ur engine where all the hot air comes from. good luck.

-jmo

PurplePeepEater 09-18-2005 01:28 AM

if you have the $$$ to spend, you really cant go wrong with AEM products in my opinion...as for type of intake, that depends a lot on weather and what not. personaly id go with cold air...cant wait to get mine in, short ram just aint workin for me.