4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How reliable are the 4th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like someone reset the CEL before you came to get the car Pull the codes, look in the FAQ, it tells you how, or you can go down to schucks/autozone etc and use there OBD reader to pull them.
Take it to AutoZone and get them to pull the codes for you.
Thanks guys. I wouldn't doubt it if the dealership me. They probably were like, 'oh it's a girl, she won't have a clue.' I know I have to pull the codes, but I was just wondering if anyone's had this problem before and if it ended up being something really small, or something really big. Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by SLPRMAX
Thanks guys. I wouldn't doubt it if the dealership me. They probably were like, 'oh it's a girl, she won't have a clue.' I know I have to pull the codes, but I was just wondering if anyone's had this problem before and if it ended up being something really small, or something really big. Thanks again!
If the light came on later, it is probably not that serious, but don't quote me on that. The ECU takes samples from the sensors and stores the info. With some sensors, it has to have an error reported a few times before it will actually throw a code. Get it checked out, then check back here to figure out how to fix it.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 PM
The original VQ...

gave my last maxima a serious beating when i was 16reas old, drove it pritty hard

sold it running strong at about 160k

Only think ever changed was a clutch and basic maintance parts.
I know a couple of maxima pushing 200k and still run like new.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:59 PM

My 97 and 03 Max (both GLE) have 49k and 13k miles respectively. Other than routine maintenance, they are pretty much trouble free. I live in Queens, New York, and I see tons of 3rd, 4th and 5th gen Maximas. (Not many 6th gens, wonder why?) Some of them are even driven by old grannies!! As reliable as Maximas are, I guess I can safely pass the 97 Max to my son when he graduates from high school, and he is only 10 now!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
gave my last maxima a serious beating when i was 16reas old, drove it pritty hard

sold it running strong at about 160k

Only think ever changed was a clutch and basic maintance parts.
I know a couple of maxima pushing 200k and still run like new.

HOLY PINK!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 PM

How do you manage to keep the mileage so low on your two Maximas, kenny?

Originally Posted by kenny
My 97 and 03 Max (both GLE) have 49k and 13k miles respectively. Other than routine maintenance, they are pretty much trouble free. I live in Queens, New York, and I see tons of 3rd, 4th and 5th gen Maximas. (Not many 6th gens, wonder why?) Some of them are even driven by old grannies!! As reliable as Maximas are, I guess I can safely pass the 97 Max to my son when he graduates from high school, and he is only 10 now!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 PM

I don’t care what no one says. I LOVE these reliability threads.

209k auto and running strong.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Bobo, since I work in the City, I don't drive to work because of traffic and parking problems. So, my cars are basically used on weekends and vacations only. I average less than 5k miles a year and after 5 years I give it to my wife and I get a new one. She drives to work two to three times a week and the round trip is only 20 miles. So, over the years, our cars gain little mileage and are in good condition, as we maintain and garage them. We sold our 92 Max a couple of years ago and that car only had 65k miles. We got a good price and the buyer got a great reliable and nice looking car!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm at 126,000........I guess a third of my car's life is up. Nice
Old 10-14-2005, 06:38 PM

221k and running strong - the only annoying things that i have had are some electrical issues - but has always been a stripped wire/bad ground - pita to find but simple and cheap to fix
Old 10-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I brought my car to Checker and they couldn't pull the codes because the car's OBD1. The Nissan dealership wanted $45 to pull it so I just did it myself. I got 0303, 0303, 0405. The first two are front left heated O2 sensor (but why is it throwing it twice?) The last one doesn't even exist! Anybody have any ideas?!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:01 AM

Good for you! I guess money is no object for you. Given how little you drive, I would be inclined to keep the cars longer and trade them in less often and use the cash for something else, eg paying off the mortgage if it isn't already, plasma TV, vacation, recreational property etc. Cars are a p!ss poor investment.

Originally Posted by kenny
Bobo, since I work in the City, I don't drive to work because of traffic and parking problems. So, my cars are basically used on weekends and vacations only. I average less than 5k miles a year and after 5 years I give it to my wife and I get a new one. She drives to work two to three times a week and the round trip is only 20 miles. So, over the years, our cars gain little mileage and are in good condition, as we maintain and garage them. We sold our 92 Max a couple of years ago and that car only had 65k miles. We got a good price and the buyer got a great reliable and nice looking car!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:56 PM

my 95 has 115k still smooth and quiet also had a friend with a 96 that has 287k and still runs good
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Brain phuck

Theres this place on the outskirts of new brunswick NJ its called Scotto's auto sales. Thats where I got mine. 97 black 5spd with 82k miles. 1 owner and in awesome condition. Had tons of service records and recipts. It even came with the original sticker that the car had on it at the dealership when it was bought brand new. I paid $6500 cash for it.
Wherever you buy your car though, try and get whoever you buy it from to gurantee it will pass inspection, and if it doesn't, that they will fix/cover whatever is wrong with it until it does pass. I did that with scotto's and sure enough. 4 days before my inspection date about 3 weeks after I had the car my CEL went on. I took it back to scotto and it was the O2 sensors. He replaced them all for free and apolagized about it. 80k is usualy when the o2 sensors go so its normal maint that I got done for free. Probably would of cost me 300$ to have a dealership do it.
My max has 102k miles on it now and only thing I replaced was a knock sensor and a clutch. It was my first manual car so I kinda beat the clutch up for the first month or so. I would say check out scotto's auto sales. After I went to all types of dealerships and private sellers they all kinda talked like schiesters and just wanted money. At this place the guy was really nice and talked like I was a kid trying to get the best he could for the money. Exactly what I was. He gets all of his cars as tradeins from a local Benz dealership so the cars he gets are pretty well taken care of and most likely a 1 owner car.

Originally Posted by DaOne
I see. Yeah I love the 4th gens. They just look so... right. I'm gonna be looking around to see what I get. Do you guys think it's alright to buy a car from a private seller or it's better to go through the dealer?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
hmmm well since nissan motors and vq motors are some of the best engines in the world what do you think ??????? ... yuove been here since 04' .. dont you read around .... these motors go well over 300,000 with proper maint. ... there should be a screening to get on this org. ... questions like this are just absurd
A big problems is that a lot of people can't use the search feature, but it does get irritating at times.

LEMAR
Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 PM

I just joined here. I bought 1996 Maxima (Bose, leather, heated seats, moonroof etc.) for $900 dollars and it runs awesome. It has a 119k and I got a deal of life. I also own two Toyota Camrys. They are better built cars than Maximas but they are slow as hell.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dariod
I just joined here. I bought 1996 Maxima (Bose, leather, heated seats, moonroof etc.) for $900 dollars and it runs awesome. It has a 119k and I got a deal of life. I also own two Toyota Camrys. They are better built cars than Maximas but they are slow as hell.
That sounds like a hell of a deal! What shape are the interior and body in?

You might get some argument on this site concerning your assertion that Toyota Camrys are better built.

I have a 95SE that I've owned since day 1 and have yet to experience a rattle or squeak. Virtually nothing has ever gone wrong with the car.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:57 PM

The car is Black on Black leather. It is auto. The interior is in perfect shape exterior has some average schratches. I bought it from some old guy private sale cash. $900 dollars on the spot plus plates and title ($143). I have already put almost 2k miles on it and no problems so far. The car is fun to drive it is only I don't which model it is it does not say at all. It only has letters "MAXIMA" on the back. It has digital climate control heated seats power seats BOSE CD and cassette, moonroof fog lights the does anyone know which model that is? Thank you guys. Glad to be proud owner of maxima.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Oh yeah one of the fog light has brackets broken so it is hanging out. Anyone knows where I could buy passenger fog light. Went to couple junkyards and they said NO MAXIMAS here only CHEVY, FORD and DODGE
Old 11-03-2005, 03:07 PM

The car is Black on Black leather. It is auto. The interior is in perfect shape exterior has some average schratches. I bought it from some old guy private sale cash. $900 dollars on the spot plus plates and title ($143). I have already put almost 2k miles on it and no problems so far. The car is fun to drive it is only I don't which model it is it does not say at all. It only has letters "MAXIMA" on the back. It has digital climate control heated seats power seats BOSE CD and cassette, moonroof fog lights the does anyone know which model that is? Thank you guys. Glad to be proud owner of maxima.
Does it have a rear spoiler and white instrument guages? Are the door handles the same color as the body? If so, it is an SE.

If not and it has wood grain in the dash and console area it is a GLE.

Read the stickies to determine the differences.

PS Given it has fog lights, I suspect it is an SE.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 PM

I will take some pics soon sorry. Yes it has the white gauges and rear spoiler and colored door handles. Is the SE top of the line?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM

I will take some pics soon sorry. Yes it has the white gauges and rear spoiler and colored door handles. Is the SE top of the line?
I believe the GLE was considered top of the line. It has a more supple suspension than the GLE, a fancier interior (wood grain) and came standard with more options and was only available with an automatic transmission.

However, at this point in time, I would have to say that for 4th Gens, an SE in a 5-speed would be the most sought after model.

My 95SE is similar to yours in that it is loaded with Bose, climate control AC, heated leather seats/mirrors and sunroof. The SE had wider tires and a sport-tuned stiffer suspension. It also has fog lights. I ordered mine in a 5-speed as I don't know how to drive an automatic (j/k). At the time the automatic option was Cdn$1,200 plus tax more than the manual tranny.

Mine is a Canadian model and came equipped with limited-slip differential (LSD).

It presently has just over 61,400 miles on it and I will probably have it for another 20 years, if I live that long, given its not a daily driver and is used primarily on the highway (say 70% of the mileage).

You got one hell of a deal on that car and the poor guy.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Yeah I wish this maxima was stick also more fun. But this thing is pretty fast for a 4 door sedan. It also has some nice fatures for the 1996. Last question how do you turn on heated mirrors on since I don't see any switch or is that automatic (or maybe mine does not have that option). Thanks BOBO for help.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 AM

My girlfriends has 151k with no engine trouble at all. I have just replaced lil stuff like ignition switch, thermostat, etc. Thanks to the stickies on here
Old 11-04-2005, 08:30 AM

Yeah I wish this maxima was stick also more fun. But this thing is pretty fast for a 4 door sedan. It also has some nice fatures for the 1996. Last question how do you turn on heated mirrors on since I don't see any switch or is that automatic (or maybe mine does not have that option). Thanks BOBO for help.
Are your seats heated? To defrost the outside mirrors, simply turn your heat on and switch to defrost, if I remember correctly. It doesn't take long for them to defrost, in fact, quicker than the rear window.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Made in Taiwan

Reliable...MOS DEF
Old 11-04-2005, 11:58 AM

200 + original all
Good luck shopping Dude
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

Mine is at 286 000 KM KM tough

still running fine
Old 11-04-2005, 02:09 PM

115 000 mi, still runs like new
Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

take a lickin and keeps on.

purchased brand new in 1998.

From 1998-2003 beat the **** out of it.

2003 bought a house and started to take it easy.

106 K and Runs like a champ.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:49 PM

I haven't been so lucky. My clutch outlasted the manual transmission and I have had to replace the alternator too along with the knock sensor. I had problems with the EVAP system too. My car just passed 100K miles....
Old 11-05-2005, 12:46 PM
no more maxima...

very reliable
Old 11-08-2005, 10:59 AM

1998 Inifinti I30t, purchased third owner from florida. I brought it with 97,000 miles on it and no not even a year later 132,000 miles. Regular oil changes, fluid changes (tranny, coolant), suspension, tires and cv axles. I put at least 350 miles on her a week from traveling in brooklyn, valleystream, and medford L.I. All I can say is this is best car I every owned. Same engine as the maxima if you didn't know.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by L.I. I30t
1998 Inifinti I30t, purchased third owner from florida. I brought it with 97,000 miles on it and no not even a year later 132,000 miles. Regular oil changes, fluid changes (tranny, coolant), suspension, tires and cv axles. I put at least 350 miles on her a week from traveling in brooklyn, valleystream, and medford L.I. All I can say is this is best car I every owned. Same engine as the maxima if you didn't know.
Same engine as the Maxima?
Oh well, I was just being a wise *ss.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by JwaxMax99
Same engine as the Maxima?
VQ30DE, ....
Old 11-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DaOne
Was looking at them since I am going to be buying a new car soon. They look really nice and all but one thing I noticed is that it is extremely difficult to find one with low miles on it. So this brings me to my question, how reliable are the 4th gens? Especially with 80k + miles on them? How many miles do they usually go for? Thanks.

I have a 96 GLE with over 180,000 Km's (about 111,000 miles) on it. The only thing I can say about the car is that it is absolutely amazing and to answer your question, these cars are VERY reliable. If this car can make it through a Canadian winter, it can make it through anything. Bring it on mother nature!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 GLE @200k, still run strong. Repair: alternator, shock/strut (old age problems), otherwise reliable.
97 SE @90k, extremely reliable, no out of pocket repair yet, just regular maintenance.

Nothing but praises on the VQ engine.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

Another "Mileage/repair @ xxx,xxx miles check thread"
Old 11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MDeezy
whoa, I'm a bit sleepy and my eyes must be seeing odd number but $1.9k for one part? Is that price from the dealers? please check junkyards, for sale section (people with wrecked cars there parting out) or www.car-part.com
I took it to another mechanic (non-dealer), who said the part would cost what the dealer said plus or minus a few dollars. I also called Courtesy Nissan in Texas. They quoted me something under $1,700. So, I don't think the dealer I took it to was conning me. Nissan just charges an arm and a leg.

I thought about picking up one from a wreck. I'll do a few things myself, but when I looked at this, I knew I wanted a mechanic to do it. This is the one cable that comes out of the ECM. So, there are at least twenty connectors for sensors, and a dozen or two for actuators -- not to mention that some of the connections are up under the dash.

This is a part on which Nissan has issued a TSB, because apparently the cable has been know to short out at a place where it bends. The labor itself was over $1,000. So, my dilemma was, do I put in an old cable, that might have its own problems, or that might short-out during the installation -- in which case I might have to spend another grand to install one more? Or, do I put in a new cable that at least the mechanic will give me a warranty on, if it fails?

I spent the 3 grand. It's not like I have a pile of cash sitting around doing nothing. It hurts to think about it. But, in the long run, it's probably a lot cheaper than getting something new. My biggest fear was that the mechanic was really guessing at the problem and that I'd be out 3 grand, and still have broken car. The good news is it now runs great --- better than it has in a while. So, with 85,000 mile on it, I'm hoping that money will buy me at least a couple more years.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got 181,000, on a 95. Still running like a dream. Engine and tranny solid (knock on wood). Just got a 2006 Pathfinder LE with basically the same engine more HP. Love that 95 max everyone wants to buy it.

Quick Reply: How reliable are the 4th gens?