4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How reliable are the 4th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by davids
I got 181,000, on a 95. Still running like a dream. Engine and tranny solid (knock on wood). Just got a 2006 Pathfinder LE with basically the same engine more HP. Love that 95 max everyone wants to buy it.
Don't be selling your 95 Max anytime soon!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got a 96 max with 202,000 miles. Change the oil with mobil 1 every 3,000 miles. I still take maximas around my year with less milage. I'll never sell it. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, then put them back on and keep goin.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:47 PM

96 max 5 speed, 155k, bought with 120k, no problems whatsoever. Change oil every 3k penzoil. Used to work at a car dealership, and when I did oil changes I filled and flushed at least 2wice every oil change. If you didn't decide yet, any nissan with the VQ motor is the best choice. Timing chain = low maintenance, no timing belt **** every 60k! Spark plugs are good for 100k. Just a very low maintenance car, not to mention comfortable sporty and quick all at the same time.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 PM

I'm running a 97 SE with 130000 miles on it. It runs like my parent's brand new car with less troubles. I mean the engine it self is a massive power cranking machine. Also talk about comfortable ride when on the highway going 100. There is also the cause and effect on how well you will take care the car and how you treat it when you drive it. Drive it like a maniac= doesn't last as long, but drive it like a normal person with little bit of fun= lasts almost forever with little work to be done.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by darklegend06
Also talk about comfortable ride when on the highway going 100. :
ahaha elgin o hare buddy?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:38 PM

yup elgin o'hare is the best, also I like using I90 and 53 and 290 some nice area. for some topping out my car. Just can't get a ticket for two years due to some problems with my previous accident.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:04 AM

I can't think of another car I would buy with 185,000 miles.

And then another one with 157,000 miles.

4th gens are great cars, once a max owner, always a max owner. Watch out, buy one and you'll be hooked.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=darklegend06] Also talk about comfortable ride when on the highway going 100. QUOTE]

I hear that, 110 and I can't even tell! If feels as smooth & quiet as 80.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 AM
iAMIXAM!

my 96 GXE has 120k and its still running good, my cousins 97 GLE has 160k+ and it also rums real good both has arig. motor and tranny.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Shift_3.0

Gotta love the below par resale value of Nissans. I picked up my 99' SE 5-spd with 86K on the clock for $6,300, in excellent condition might I add. Its hard to find a 99' civic for that price and this car is a GOD compared to it. Trust me I would know, that was my last car. The handling definetaly suprised me for a large 4 door Sedan.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Frst, find a mechanic that you trust. When parts need to be replaced, replace them as soon as possible. Keep your car tuned. Use synthetic fluids. Use premium gas.

I sold my 3rd Gen Max with 302K on it with the original motor and a tranny rebuilt at 300K, and I know that I could have gone another 50-100K before the engine gaskets would need replacing. After another 100K, the valve guides would have to be replaced...or, more simply, I'd drop in a good, used motor.

The suspension parts were all replaced, and the body and interior in great shape, so, with the above changes, I can easily imagine my 3rd Gen topping 500K with ease.

In short, if you take good care of a 4th Gen, there's no reason why it cannot run indefinitely.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:40 PM

my 98 max has 120xxx miles on it and it still runs grrrrreat!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM

ive had two maximas, a 92 se with 174k and it was running perfect and burning tegs and civics, now ive got a 95se with a whopping 256+k and running great, and love hearing that vq rev. only prob was a tranny swap, but once you go max, you never go back
Old 11-26-2005, 09:49 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by tri_a_maxima
ive had two maximas, a 92 se with 174k and it was running perfect and burning tegs and civics, now ive got a 95se with a whopping 256+k and running great, and love hearing that vq rev. only prob was a tranny swap, but once you go max, you never go back
u right about that, once you go max, aint no going back
Old 11-26-2005, 09:24 PM
The Golden One

Funny story.

The Max I have now was my brothers older car (he's a business man....didn't maintain it to well) and it still has it's original engine and original tranny with 163k. BUT, the tranny was rebuilt...so maybe it's not original after all. The reason it was rebuilt was my first weekend driving (just turned 16) I borrowed it and while racing a friend on an integra I accidentally shifted into reverse at like 75mph. Blew 2nd and 4th gear instantly (Don't know why only those two). EVERYTHING locked. Steering wheel, everything shut off. I was freaked out. But yeah, it was only the tranny lol. Now I know, but no one ever told me you don't need to push the button when you shift in any other gear other than park. So yeah, otherwise it would have been running on an original tranny aswell.

My advice man....get a Maxima and nothing else. I just bought a parts one to make mine better because it's such a fine piece of engineering. If I ever need suspension parts, got it...engine parts....got it. Interior....eh...lacking. Body....got it. I'm all set for the next couple of thousand miles. I'm currently into the process of bring my maxima up to speed...Flushing fluids...cleaning TB...and so on. I'll have picture eventually.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:55 PM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by IKolodiychik
Funny story.

The Max I have now was my brothers older car (he's a business man....didn't maintain it to well) and it still has it's original engine and original tranny with 163k. BUT, the tranny was rebuilt...so maybe it's not original after all. The reason it was rebuilt was my first weekend driving (just turned 16) I borrowed it and while racing a friend on an integra I accidentally shifted into reverse at like 75mph. Blew 2nd and 4th gear instantly (Don't know why only those two). EVERYTHING locked. Steering wheel, everything shut off. I was freaked out. But yeah, it was only the tranny lol. Now I know, but no one ever told me you don't need to push the button when you shift in any other gear other than park. So yeah, otherwise it would have been running on an original tranny aswell.

My advice man....get a Maxima and nothing else. I just bought a parts one to make mine better because it's such a fine piece of engineering. If I ever need suspension parts, got it...engine parts....got it. Interior....eh...lacking. Body....got it. I'm all set for the next couple of thousand miles. I'm currently into the process of bring my maxima up to speed...Flushing fluids...cleaning TB...and so on. I'll have picture eventually.
u shifted into reverse at 75mph, DAMN that sucks, it was kinda dumb to, well it was a whole lot dumb, but i guess u learnt something lol
Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
iAMIXAM!

Funny story.

when i read through the first half of this i thought u were driving a standard lol
Old 11-27-2005, 10:45 AM

Mine is doing good other than the tranny goes into limp home mode every once in a while, probably a sensor, but a quick flip of the switch cures it. The engine is darn near bulletproof and runs great.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1995 SE 5-Speed
Original Motor
Original Tranny

Replaced the starter last summer.
Rides a little rough, and the interior smells like stale farts, but it runs great.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

205,000 miles. forgot to add.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just bought a 98 5-speed with 167,000. Runs like a dream. Black leather still looks great. I had to replace the KS, but besides that, no problems. I did a 60,000 maintance and it looked like it was the first time anything had been changed besides the oil. Now it runs even smoother and is a little faster.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:38 AM
iAMIXAM!

Funny story.

i got in my car this afternoon to go to work and watched teh gear stick and thought to myself, how the heck did you go over neutral straight into reverse, Dude its P-R-N-D-2-1 so you went from 1 to 2 to R, u went straight past D and N. i dont get it, werent it suppose to rev in N.
i guess u did it, u feel dumb about it and you have learnt what u learnt lol
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by loverholic
i got in my car this afternoon to go to work and watched teh gear stick and thought to myself, how the heck did you go over neutral straight into reverse, Dude its P-R-N-D-2-1 so you went from 1 to 2 to R, u went straight past D and N. i dont get it, werent it suppose to rev in N.
i guess u did it, u feel dumb about it and you have learnt what u learnt lol
Dude lol. You don't think it's possible? You should try it sometime! It's sooo much fun. lol. It's so much fun it causes whiplash. lol. What happened was I pushed the shifter button in and my hand slipped...causing the shifter to go all the way up to park. I skidded to a halt and was sitting there with my heart jumping out of my chest. "Oh crap, what on earth have I just done?" What I was trying to do was go from 1st, to 2nd, to drive (I didn't know about the overdrive button yet lol). From what I know and understand, you can slide the shifter freely...I've been to scared to try it from anything other than N to D lol...but at the time I didn't know that so I was using the button. So yeah...now you know the whole story.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:38 AM
JUS

I Have 126,000 On Mine, And I Still Think My Car Is Better Than Some Of These New Ones That Are Out Today. It Still Runs Strong And Looks Like A 2000 Model Car To Some!