Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   why does my front end sound like a mattress (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/325112-why-does-my-front-end-sound-like-mattress.html)

madmega 10-11-2005 09:39 AM

why does my suspension squeak and knock?

i believe this is all stemming from me hitting the worlds largest pothole on the Jersey Turnpike a while back.

i have so many issues with the front end of my car, suspension wise.. the front is making noises, like something is loose and hitting something else, it almost sounds like there is a hammer flying around somewhere and just hitting the same thing over and over and over again. it doesn't matter how fast or slow i drive.. but its not a constant thing,, i guess it all depends on speed/road conditions, etc... but its annoying as hell.. so about 2 months ago i changed my front struts, i knew one of them was bad and got an alignment....

so this didnt solve the knocking problem, but more recently i've noticed the passeneger side squeaks like im having sex on an old mattress, and ocassionally it occurs on the drivers side as well but not as loud. i think its a lot worse when its cold outside. Also, my passenger side rear strut needs to be replaced again, i just changed it last year.. i know im supposed to change all of them at once but i do them in pairs because im on a budget, but the point is i know im NOT supposed to be changing them so often.

so basically,, why does my front end squeak and knock? and would my rear strut quitting on me be a direct effect from the front end being messed up?
its almost embarrasing to go over bumps, the car makes so much noise, please help.. sorry for the long post.

p.s. change your knock sensors, its the difference between night and day

Stuntin' 101 10-11-2005 03:54 PM

the squeaking can be alot of different things. if i had to take a shot at it, i would guess it would be your lower control arm bushing. have someone push the front of your car up and down and see if you can reproduce the noise. if so, try to locate it by sound.

also some helpful information is missing here. are you lowered? what kind of struts do you have? are all your parts original?? i can try to help, but if things are that bad i would really bring it to a mechanic to get an estimate. they shouldnt charge you just to tell you what it is..

cydrive 10-11-2005 04:08 PM

dude, a couple of things you can check to eliminate as options- sway bar links or ball joints. I had similar issues but the banging was mostly a messed up sway bar link- it wasn't there! Ball joints are a bit more hard to diagnose. With these, its not something you can hear (never had that happen) but you can feel it on the steering wheel if you hit a pothole or some irregularity on the road- it almost feels like there's something loose right on the lower part of the suspension....

...anyone else jump in here

Fr33way™ 10-11-2005 06:49 PM

bump for suspension info

Stuntin' 101 10-11-2005 07:34 PM

those are symptoms of a worn ball joint.. a bad ball joint you will hear a clunk when you go over bumps and dips.. it will sound almost the same as a bad endlink. but ball joints are more common

madmega 10-13-2005 02:30 PM

Thanks For The Help Guys, By The Way, Im Completely Stock Suspension. Ive Noticed Also That At Highway Speeds, My Brake Pedal Shakes And Rattles Along With The Shaking And Knocking Of The Suspension.

I Guess Ill Just Bring It To A Shop But I Know There Can Be So Many Options As To What Could Be Wrong, I'd Rather Have An Idea Of What It Might Be Before I Bring It Anywhere

CalsonicSE 10-13-2005 02:35 PM

Clunking noise could also be a worn strut mount...