4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Battery dies after 4-5 days

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Battery dies after 4-5 days

How much current should there be with everything turned off?

My battery goes dead after sitting for 4-5 days. Battery is new and good, alternator is good. I measured the current to be 129mA meter.

I pull the BCM fuse and it drops to 29mA. Any ideas?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:41 PM

get yourself a new battery
Old 11-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Please read the post and not just part of it.

Yes, current is 129mA. The engine is not running. The battery is new! It works just fine if it doesn't sit for a few days.

"get yourself a new battery" if you don't have anything to post that is worth while dont' post it. Right back at you.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:12 PM
I Broke OT

hey, i think he was just givin you what you deserved. you just brought up old random threads and had nothing to contribute.

besides, you asked for any ideas, and it's a perfectly logical idea. perhaps you got a lemon battery. it may be worth it to swap another one in to see if the problem leaves.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:46 PM

Been there done that with the battery thing. I needed to post a thread and I haven't been around military and all. So, give me a break. I didn't make the rules on 15 threads. I need to get back into the swing of live living in the sand box is not the easiest thing you know or not? I just have a problem with my car and I'm looking for a solution. I don't like to go to the dealerships as do all that are here.

Back to the orginal question, does any one know how much current it should be drawing with nothing turned on?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
hey, i think he was just givin you what you deserved. you just brought up old random threads and had nothing to contribute.

besides, you asked for any ideas, and it's a perfectly logical idea. perhaps you got a lemon battery. it may be worth it to swap another one in to see if the problem leaves.
the man is right ... you probably have a lemon battery

I doubt you have a bad alternator but its possible ...

lol go to autozone or advanced auto parts and get a free charging system check genius

you ask a question for something as simple as this, your gonna get many different answers
Old 11-13-2005, 05:30 AM

Have you alternator tested again. Your alternator is responsible for recharging your battery so that it does die in a few days. Examine you betls, and make sure all pulleys are spinning.

In this case it would have to be your alternator or battery, unless there is something that is sucking the power out of the car.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:12 AM

You probably have a bad battery Autozone or many other parts places can do a load test and tell you for sure. The battery has to be fully charged for this to be accurate so if you go in they may have to charge the battery a while before they can test it.They can also check your alternater at the same time. Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts both will do this at no charge where I live.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:12 AM
KH3 by popular demand

While the car is running with an ohm meter you should be running around 14.1 volts or a little more. Shut car off, disconnect the battery, reading should be over 12. Don't drive the car or start it up for a few hours, then check it again with an ohm meter. If it have dropped more than .4 volts then I would say the battery is on it's way out even if it is new that's why batteries come with warranties in cases like that. Only other thing I can think of is the cable that goes from the engine to the battery tray (I've heard of people having corroded ones causing the battry to go dead quicker). Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
While the car is running with an ohm meter you should be running around 14.1 volts or a little more. Shut car off, disconnect the battery, reading should be over 12. Don't drive the car or start it up for a few hours, then check it again with an ohm meter. If it have dropped more than .4 volts then I would say the battery is on it's way out even if it is new that's why batteries come with warranties in cases like that. Only other thing I can think of is the cable that goes from the engine to the battery tray (I've heard of people having corroded ones causing the battry to go dead quicker). Good luck.

Voltage is not a good indication of battery performance as it checks it without a load. Batteries when they are dieing build up huge interal resistances, so under load the voltage drops hardcore on a dead battery. This is why we say have them check it at Autozone or what not, as they test the battery under load, which is a much better test.

Also, how were you measuring the current? If you measure between the two terminals, you won't get a reading that means anything at all. You have to measure current in series, voltage you measure in parallel.

Your car battery is probably rated at least at 60+ Amp Hours, so at 129mA, it would take 60/.129 hours to drain, which is a little over 19 days. Better batteries are rated closer to 100 Amp hours, which at the same .129A load would take over 32 days to drain.

Wow sounds like your battery sucks!

As for the 15 post rule, that is to keep jerks like OP from posting crap that can be readily found in stickies or by a simple phone call. Contribute to the community and then we'll help you back.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If your battery dies while ur car just sits there than either you have a bad battery or a shorts some where that is draining your battery. go to an auto parts store and have them conduct a free battery and alternator test