4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?

Not that I want to...

Broke one of the front axle cotter pins and figured I'd replace both. Realized that the cotter pins I got from Autozone weren't as thick as the original cotter pin for the car. They are just as long, but they don't solidly fill the hole that's been drilled through the end of the axle.

I know that the cotter pins are important to prevent death... They are also the last resort item that will prevent the wheel hub from falling off if the axle were to become unseated...

Curious if anyone knows the correct measurements as well. I'm headed out into to town to try and find one of the appropriate size.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Rit

Why not just bring your broken one with you, and match it up ?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rit
Why not just bring your broken one with you, and match it up ?
Yeah I thought that I had done that, but I didn't have the correct measurements.

Here's measurements off the old cotter pin - 3/16 by about 1.5 inches (it's all bent up):

Here's the new cotter pins I bought and their measurements:

I may have to snip a little metal off the new ones, but they'll do. Having the measurements would have been handy in the first place - should have thought to do that before going out and buying ones that were too small...

Here is the old one next to the new one.

Thanks for joining me on my cotter pin adventure!
Attached Thumbnails Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?-new_cotter_pin_length.png   Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?-new_cotter_pin_width.png   Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?-new_cotter_pins_dorman.png   Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?-new_vs_old_cotter_pin.jpg   Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?-original_cotter_pin_length.png  

Can I use a thinner cotter pin for axle / wheel hub?-original_cotter_pin_width.png  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Don't worry about the cotter pin being a little thinner. Its purpose it to keep the nut from spinning off should the nut loosen up. It wouldn't get that much force on it.

As for the length, cut the excess off. Or leave it. Your choice.