4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

have you seen the new pontiac commercial?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by maximasrule
Dan,
Sllllooooowwwww down!!! You are not driving El Primo Max.
you're trying to convey information. Try typing slower
so all of your readers can understand what you're trying
to say. You deliver a great message, but I'm not sure if
I understand it. However, if you own and drive a Max, you
definitely are Major League with the best in spite of your
speling.

---------------------------------------------------------------
personally i am disapointed in you guys.. you failed to mension that the grand prix has that very ugly side crap on it... the wavy stuff down the sides.. wtf is that?? not only that gm must lack brain power cause the max is pulling 190 out of a 3 liter... they got almost a whole nother liter and only 10 horses.. whats wrong with this picture? not only that id pit the base model max agaisnt the base model prix and youll find that the prix has drum brakes. the interior lacks any kind of styling or erganomics..... the fact is that the prix doesnt compare to the max...even if IN THE REPORT it was slightly faster.... ive done 3 years of reaserch and in my opinion and i convince everyone else i talk to so im goin to say there isnt a car that compares to the max... unless you compare it to sports cars.. but the max isnt a sports car. anyway i could go on all day about what the gm lacks but i wont... AND QUIT DISSIN AMERICAN CARS.. THEY ARE GOOD CARS!!!!!! just this one sucks.... making a blatened statement like domestic cars suck... is just ignorance

dan
Old 06-15-2001, 10:23 PM

yeah, I think that American autos just aren't built like they used to be. Foreign cars sure do outlast present day American cars. All of my cars from Japan have long outlasted all of the american cars I've had. And the Maxima can run abused for a really long time as I've seen. If you were to treat a G.P. with a S/C the same as a maxima with a S/C for the same amount of time, the max would run like new when the GP died....I still like the Grand prix though, nice cars for about 100-120 k miles
Old 06-15-2001, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
where they pitted the 2001 pontiac grand prix against the 2001 maxima gxe...? then they sit there and dis' the maxima? that pee'd me off when i saw that.. just wanted to get some opinions...
They're just trying to sell those cheap cars. I have raced them and beaten them. The same goes for the Ford Taurus 24V.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:03 PM

Not all american cars are no good. I also heard a paticular Camry's engine failed in two years. However, when it comes to statistics, Jap cars are better, maybe far better.
My co-worker used to have a Ford Contour that had so many failures in the first few years on major parts, you name it. One time AAA refused to tow it for safety reason, because all gas leaked out of the fuel pipe to the ground. He hated it and traded it for an Accord. He had extended warranty so didn't pay a lot. But the headache of a few years could not be avoided. That's an extreme case of course. Jap cars rarely have that kind of extreme.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:27 PM

I just saw the commercial myself. What a joke that looked like a mid level Grand Prix to me. They should have compared it to a mid level Maxima not a base model. Plus we all know that the extra $$ money for the Maxima will pay for itself in the long run.
Old 06-16-2001, 12:18 AM

We can go on all day about that pos. Ford sucks too! "All American cars are not junk." Please!!!! Ok maybe not all of them, just 99.9%. I get a headache just looking at them. Let alone the people who got raped into buying them.
I use to be a mechanics asst., so anybody trying to convince me that they are not bad cars save it for those who like to hear BS.
Old 06-16-2001, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by JdawgX

It's a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) It has a 3.8l Supercharged V-6 and is a great car.

By the way, guys, it's an ad. Companys compare themselves favorably to other companys all the time. It's part of advritising and the business world. The max and grand prix are both great cars. If you would rather have a max, then great, but there's no reason to rip on the pontiac. And they don't fall part in a year as many of you seem to think. I know several people with 70,000+mi with LOTS of mods that are still running trouble free. These modded cars are outrunning brand new Z-28s o-60. I also know people with 140,000 on thier pontiacs and they also have no problems. Yes the Max will last a litlle longer but not that much. The newer American cars are becoming MUCH more reliable. And in responce to your comments about all the recalls, have you looked into the recalls for the maxs? 97 PW steering return hose wasn't tightened by the factory correctly, 96 maxs have quite a few recalls. All cars are recalled at some point or another for stupid little things. Hell, look at mitsubishi, they covered there's up so as not to be so embaressed. So even Japanese car makers have recalls. Not trying to start flaming you guys, but come on, lighten up on American cars. They're not as bad as you think.
ok...I can personally DISAGREE with this post becuase in my family we own both. My brother has a '98 Grand Prix GT, and I have my max.

the GP has 35K miles on it and my max has just over 70K....the GP is on it's third...yes third transmisson becuase they keep breaking for no apparent reason. The GP has had a LONG list of other problems that I don't even want to get into because it disgusts me SO much. The ONLY problem with my car so far in 70K miles was a leaky oil sender. We both drive our cars relatively hard...but he doesn't do neutral drops or anything of the like that would destroy the tranny that quickly. I don't know about you, but after that kind of experience, I don't know if I could ever buy american again.
Old 06-16-2001, 01:22 AM
supertool

I hope the big three american automakers fold.

And in their place we get some quality car makers here. I really don't think they can be fixed, except starting from scratch.

Old 06-17-2001, 11:52 PM
Klamath

The Grand Prix GT wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for

1 - The abysmal fit and finish of the entire interior.

2 - The prehistoric 3800 V-6. I do not particularly care for any pushrod 6-er. I mean, it works great for me on nice-sized V-8s, but I wanna be able to rev the hell out of a V-6. It's more than just a little discomforting that the 3800 sounds like it's pleading for mercy when you push it to redline (wherever in the 5k range it is). Let's not forget that it's totally out of steam by the time it gets there.

3 - The maddening groan of the 3800 under normal operation.

4 - You're stuck with a slushbox without any say in the matter.

All of this is just opinion, and not an attempt to bash the Grand Prix. I had to share a '98 GT with my friend when I didn't have a car for 3 weeks, so I've gotten plenty of time to try it out. In the long run, I'll take the Max on the motor and interior alone. Granted, I'm not trying to compare against the GTP, here. I've never driven one, so I'm not about to formulate an opinion. From what I hear, it's pretty damn fast.

To sum it up, there's nothing wrong with buying what you like. If everyone drove the same car, things would be pretty boring!

Old 06-17-2001, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Klamath

2 - The prehistoric 3800 V-6. I do not particularly care for any pushrod 6-er. I mean, it works great for me on nice-sized V-8s, but I wanna be able to rev the hell out of a V-6. It's more than just a little discomforting that the 3800 sounds like it's pleading for mercy when you push it to redline (wherever in the 5k range it is). Let's not forget that it's totally out of steam by the time it gets there.

All of this is just opinion, and not an attempt to bash the Grand Prix. I had to share a '98 GT with my friend when I didn't have a car for 3 weeks, so I've gotten plenty of time to try it out. In the long run, I'll take the Max on the motor and interior alone. Granted, I'm not trying to compare against the GTP, here. I've never driven one, so I'm not about to formulate an opinion. From what I hear, it's pretty damn fast.

To sum it up, there's nothing wrong with buying what you like. If everyone drove the same car, things would be pretty boring!
Haha.....
Old 06-18-2001, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor

I'd agree that amrican cars arent s**t i've been driving a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT... the rear looks funny and the dash looks a bit awkward but damn it is pretty quick. The engine does sound like crap especially above 4500rpm... but the power is nothing to dismiss. Yea because or the gearing it wont make much past 100, but until then it does haul. Another thing, it is a BIG car, but the steering is pretty nice compared to other fwd cars. I wouldnt trade my '97 Max 5spd buuut if I had to, i could probably buy a 99 Grand Prix GTP for the price my max would sell for... yea and the fit and finish sucks but we havent had any problems with it... cars are pretty reliable these days... even a cavalier hahaha (my sister drives one) we've never had a problem with ANY GM cars except once when the power windows failed. With dodge cars... jesus we had a brand new intrepid like last year for a week and the transmission failed...
i duno its jus opinions i guess but I WOULD accept a GTP... or even an Olds Intrigue with the 3.5L DOHC engine... they arent too bad, and they do last a long time... even if there power windows fail or something. haha and the cavalier didnt do to well in a uhhh real world crash test... my sis crashed her 99 cavalier into a big *** Dodge Ram Pickup and she did fine. The car did ok too... and there are NO problems with it since then, no rattles or anything
Old 06-18-2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Klamath

200hp on the GT model occurs @ 5200 so its not true that they don't have any steam above 5000, maybe in the late 5000 range. anyways not like the 4 generation is a lot better on the highend
Old 06-18-2001, 08:56 PM

These modded cars are outrunning brand new Z-28s o-60. I also know people with 140,000 on thier pontiacs and they also have no problems.
Believe me when I say this because I did tons of research on the GTP and the Max. The aftermarket for the Grand Prix is about 1/2 the size the Maxima has. There are VERY FEW things you can do to that car to make it faster. Exhaust, high flow cats, intake, and underdrive pullies make up about 90% of what's available. They are pretty quick, but a 5 speed max is still faster than a GTP. I also doubt you'll ever see any GTP ever beat a new Z28 with a semi-competent driver.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by danman183

Believe me when I say this because I did tons of research on the GTP and the Max. The aftermarket for the Grand Prix is about 1/2 the size the Maxima has. There are VERY FEW things you can do to that car to make it faster. Exhaust, high flow cats, intake, and underdrive pullies make up about 90% of what's available. They are pretty quick, but a 5 speed max is still faster than a GTP. I also doubt you'll ever see any GTP ever beat a new Z28 with a semi-competent driver.
I heard that you can get a different supercharger pulley for like $100 and it brings hp up to 280
Old 06-18-2001, 09:32 PM

Excuse me???

Maybe next time you'll do some research before placing a blatently WRONG post on the board. Check out my friend Chris's web page.

http://www.grandprix.maximumspeed.com/

By the way, up here Z-28s are running 15s and a stock 5-spd max is almost 16.5 And you thingk that there's HALF the aftermarket parts available??? Wake up! By the way, the site hasn't been updated for a while. He's done some things since the last update, so he's a little quicker now too. Welcome to the real world.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:45 PM

My GTP

I'm the person he is speaking off, just a couple sides notes:
1. My Tranny is fine
2. I put down 253 FWHP and 343FWTQ last time I dyno'd, thats 305HP 410TQ at the crank. (supercharger pulley, reprogrammed PCM, plugs, wires, exhaust, intake)
3. I have 160+ 1/4 mile passes on the car
4. 68,000 miles in 26 months
5. I've replaced (because of failure):
a. Headlight
6. I run 14.5 in the 1/4 mile at 5800FT! I'm quicker than stock LS1's (98+ Trans Am's and Camaros')
7. Bone stock '00 Auto Maxima at this altitude is running consitant 17's
8. I won both the GPG '00 Bracket Racing, and just Recently the bracket Racing at Pontiac Southern Nationals

For more info check out:
www.grandprixstore.com
www.clubgp.com
www.motorsportsperformance.com
www.thrasher-ep.com

Now, I don't have headers, I don't have a hi-flow cat, and I still smoke every Maxmima I've raced.
My dash fits fine, I like the style, I enjoy the HUD, and I respect others opinions and choice of cars, do you?

Murdock
Old 06-18-2001, 10:02 PM

Re: My GTP

Originally posted by Generic
1. My Tranny is fine
2. I put down 253 FWHP and 343FWTQ last time I dyno'd, thats 305HP 410TQ at the crank. (supercharger pulley, reprogrammed PCM, plugs, wires, exhaust, intake)
a. Headlight
6. I run 14.5 in the 1/4 mile at 5800FT! I'm quicker than stock LS1's (98+ Trans Am's and Camaros')
8. I won both the GPG '00 Bracket Racing, and just Recently the bracket Racing at Pontiac Southern Nationals

For more info check out:
www.grandprixstore.com
www.clubgp.com
www.thrasher-ep.com

Now, I don't have headers, I don't have a hi-flow cat, and I still smoke every Maxmima I've raced.
My dash fits fine, I like the style, I enjoy the HUD, and I respect others opinions and choice of cars, do you?

Murdock
nice, I might get one of those (used) later this year. What kind of mod do you need to get rid of torque steer? and how $?
Old 06-18-2001, 10:46 PM

Re: Re: My GTP

Originally posted by costcowholesale

What kind of mod do you need to get rid of torque steer? and how $?
Old 06-19-2001, 12:06 AM

Quick or not, I don't want to be in one when it blows up!
Old 06-19-2001, 07:48 AM
Former Sponsor

haha they arent bad... their engines are tough... my dad knows sum dude driving around in a 78 or sumthing regal with that 3.8 l.. i'm not sure but sum old pre 1980 buick with that 3.8 he doesnt do any maintainence and it runs fine even if it sucks... the Series II 3.8 do deserve respect... even if they lack some the tech we have... they are bigger but so what? its the price that counts... and also OHV are alot cheaper to get tuneups and theres alot less to go wrong. as for power, yea jus increase the boost a bit... pontiac was selling a Richard Petty version that put out 300, stock it runs 6psi of boost? (correct me if i'm wrong) it wouldnt be hard to pull 350 out of the engine... and the transmission is one of the smoothest and most reliable out there... it is SMOOTh.. GM came up with the auto in like 1920 or something on the oldsmobile...
Old 06-19-2001, 07:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Who cares? j/k
Old 06-19-2001, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

haha i guess i'm jus sensitive cuz i'm drivin one and like it... and well compared to sum VTEC Honduh bull**** its pretty darned nice I jus think its one of the cars to compare to a max performance wise quite well stock
Old 06-19-2001, 08:59 AM

Re: Excuse me???

Maybe next time you'll do some research before placing a blatently WRONG post on the board. Check out my friend Chris's web page.

http://www.grandprix.maximumspeed.com/

By the way, up here Z-28s are running 15s and a stock 5-spd max is almost 16.5 And you thingk that there's HALF the aftermarket parts available??? Wake up! By the way, the site hasn't been updated for a while. He's done some things since the last update, so he's a little quicker now too. Welcome to the real world.
What are you smoking? 16.5 in the 1/4 miles for a stock 5speed se, I don't think so bud, sorry if yours is that slow, a stock max 5-speed runs 14.8-15.2 in the 1/4 miles, check your facts and "you'll do some research before placing a blatently WRONG post on the board"

And to everyone here, this is a very bad comparasion of cars, considering MR.GTP that your comparing a supercharged Grand Prix to a NA Maxima, throw a supercharger and whatever else you have on your car onto a Maxima and you will get left in the dust, auto or 5 speed you will be breathing nothing but that maximas exhaust, I for one, smoke the dogsh!t out of every stock GTP I have ever raced and all I have is and exhaust and intake, and they have a supercharger? that's pretty sad in my opinion, let me get a supercharger and see how bad I beat you in the 1/4 mile, not to mention from 100 +,

Oh and as for comparisions, heres what I got off the Pontiac site,

Supercharged NA
2001 GTP Sedan 2001 Maxima 20th SE
Power Sunroof Optional Standard
Daytime Running Lights Standard Not Available BIG DEAL
Horsepower @ RPM 240@5200 227@6400
Torque @ RPM 280@3200 217@4000
Compression Ratio 8.5 10.0
Fuel Economy 18/28 22/27
Width (inches) 72.7 70.3 WIDER=Better by 2 inches? I don't think so
Front Head Room (inches) 38.3 40.5
Rear Head Room (inches) 36.7 37.4
Front Leg Room (inches) 42.4 44.8
Rear Leg Room (inches) 35.8 36.2
Bigger=Better don't think so not that much more room

Just thought everyone might want to see pontiacs comparasion, I can go get Nissans if you want
Old 06-19-2001, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Excuse me???

check the altitude... that means alot..

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

What are you smoking? 16.5 in the 1/4 miles for a stock 5speed se, I don't think so bud, sorry if yours is that slow, a stock max 5-speed runs 14.8-15.2 in the 1/4 miles, check your facts and "you'll do some research before placing a blatently WRONG post on the board"
Old 06-19-2001, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Re: My GTP

i think with your mods you should be high 13's.. low 14's at sea level

Originally posted by Generic
1. My Tranny is fine
a. Headlight

For more info check out:
www.grandprixstore.com
www.clubgp.com
www.thrasher-ep.com

Murdock
Old 06-19-2001, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
haha they arent bad... their engines are tough... my dad knows sum dude driving around in a 78 or sumthing regal with that 3.8 l.. i'm not sure but sum old pre 1980 buick with that 3.8 he doesnt do any maintainence and it runs fine even if it sucks... the Series II 3.8 do deserve respect... even if they lack some the tech we have... they are bigger but so what? its the price that counts... and also OHV are alot cheaper to get tuneups and theres alot less to go wrong. as for power, yea jus increase the boost a bit... pontiac was selling a Richard Petty version that put out 300, stock it runs 6psi of boost? (correct me if i'm wrong) it wouldnt be hard to pull 350 out of the engine... and the transmission is one of the smoothest and most reliable out there... it is SMOOTh.. GM came up with the auto in like 1920 or something on the oldsmobile...
their engine is solid as hell, my friend had an 3.8 regal that has 250k miles on it, it ran fine, the car was like 20 yrs old and started falling apart, but engine is still awsome, his dad sold it because everything was falling apart after 15yrs
Old 06-19-2001, 10:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Excuse me???

Originally posted by SprintMax
check the altitude... that means alot..

True sorry Sprint, but by the book the 1/4 mile for the Maxima Auto is 16.0, from msn which is based on a 8.2 to 60 time, which is about 1 sec off of what motor trend tested the auto at,
the 5Speed SE however is, 15.1/94.4 not 16.5 (from motortrend)

Not to mention
I got this from Nissan's web site and I think that this quote speaks for itself
"And Ward's AutoWorld once again named Maxima's engine "one of the ten best ever" — the only engine to get this honor seven years in a row."
Old 06-19-2001, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
Remember all those GM ads for Cadillac where they claimed they say the STS Deville could outcorner a BMW 5 series?

They even admitted in their fineprint that they compared a Cadillac with Z-Rated tires running the stability control as compared to the BMW running the "all-season" H-Rated tires and touring suspension -- not exactly an apples to apples comparison...

The same company that sells the Cavalier and Sunfire which were awared "SEVERE INJURY OR DEATH IS CERTAIN" ratings for side impact crashes... willingly taking a $1000 loss on each unit simply to meet Federal CAFE standards...

I think that GM has one separate and almost sacred team of reasonably talented engineers for the Corvette and another far less capable engineering team for just about every thing else they make --

GM has problems but they get some of best engineers the world has to offer. Their corporate culture is not conducive to producing the best product it can. Cost win out a majority of the time. Most automotive advances come from the general 20 years before the world is ready and other company with good management give people what they want when they want it.NA
Old 06-19-2001, 05:08 PM

First of all, i can't believe all the stuff i've read in this post. GP won't last one year? It'll blow up? Maxima is faster? has twice as much aftermarket? and all that stuff bout American cars being cr*p... last time i had an argument on this bored(6 months ago), i saw a lot and i mean a lot of better posts which had a lot of thought in them...

how many ppl here plan on owning there cars for more than 7 years? not may i think, so why do u care so much whether the car is gonna last 50 years? yeah, the Maxima is more reliable than the Grand Prix, but it doens't mean the Grand Prix is horrible. and you can't judge all American cars as being bad cause u know someone who had one and it was bad. Right now i'm driving a rental 2001 Toyota Camry 4-cyl(150 km's on it only!!!), i can't go and say that all Japanese cars are weak(in the beginning this car was sooo slow, my friend's used to laugh, but i've broken it in now and its better). Dodge, GM and Ford are very different, and every car they have is also different...

Stock GTP's are getting 1/4mile between around 14.6 and 14.8. So thats faster than stock 5-spd maximas, but just a bit.(maxima still has a higher trap speed i think). If racing in the low end, the GTP is faster than a 5 spd Maxima SE and on the highway, things turn around.

Aftermarket? there's about 3-5 GTP's in the 12's, so I think we're doing pretty good on the aftermarket.

We have a supercharger? wow, u have 5-spd. if u think supercharging is cheating, look at the Pathfinder(i think it's supercharged now), 300zx twin turbo...Our cars are supercharged and cheaper than urs, so why complain? Thats how our car is built, thats how urs is built... Compare the Grand Prix GT with a Maxima auto and the GT is faster.

Looks wise, i think the Grand Prix is better looking, but thats my opionion, but i still thin the Maxima is good looking...

Interior wise, yeah, the Maxima does win hand down easily.

If you haven't driven a GTP, then i sujjest you do. Just give it a try. I'm not saying buy it, just test drive it, and you'll see its not as horrible as some people are saying.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:20 PM
Administrator

[soapbox]

Originally posted by !GTP!
First of all, i can't believe all the stuff i've read in this post. GP won't last one year? It'll blow up? Maxima is faster? has twice as much aftermarket? and all that stuff bout American cars being cr*p... last time i had an argument on this bored(6 months ago), i saw a lot and i mean a lot of better posts which had a lot of thought in them...
what can you expect.. they are biased.. but you will find a few open minded indivdiuals here

how many ppl here plan on owning there cars for more than 7 years? not may i think, so why do u care so much whether the car is gonna last 50 years? yeah, the Maxima is more reliable than the Grand Prix, but it doens't mean the Grand Prix is horrible. and you can't judge all American cars as being bad cause u know someone who had one and it was bad. Right now i'm driving a rental 2001 Toyota Camry 4-cyl(150 km's on it only!!!), i can't go and say that all Japanese cars are weak(in the beginning this car was sooo slow, my friend's used to laugh, but i've broken it in now and its better). Dodge, GM and Ford are very different, and every car they have is also different...
True.. but these are maxima owners they are going to argue with you to death and use the points they have to win arguments..

Stock GTP's are getting 1/4mile between around 14.6 and 14.8. So thats faster than stock 5-spd maximas, but just a bit.(maxima still has a higher trap speed i think). If racing in the low end, the GTP is faster than a 5 spd Maxima SE and on the highway, things turn around.

I saw a bone stock one run 14.4 at English Town.. i got flamed for it.. so did the other 4 Maxima.org members who were at the track who saw it.. "the guy was hiding something" .. "something .. blah blah blah.." but we saw it with our own eyes.. he was bone stock and that was that...

Aftermarket? there's about 3-5 GTP's in the 12's, so I think we're doing pretty good on the aftermarket.
True.. and even if you didn't have any aftermarket support.. a $75 pulley upgrade is the best bang for the buck and no mod for a maxima could ever beat that

We have a supercharger? wow, u have 5-spd. if u think supercharging is cheating, look at the Pathfinder(i think it's supercharged now), 300zx twin turbo...Our cars are supercharged and cheaper than urs, so why complain? Thats how our car is built, thats how urs is built... Compare the Grand Prix GT with a Maxima auto and the GT is faster.

Pathfinder isn't supercharged.. the Frontier is.. but it runs 17's so who cares... I believe in run what you brung.. so the GTP is stock with an SC .. i guess we have to compare it with a stock from the factory Maxima.. and depending on driver the maxima will win the 1/4 mile and the GTP will win the 1/4 mile.. however.. a 2k maxima will take a GTP at high speeds.. the GTP runs low 1/4's but has low trap speeds..

Looks wise, i think the Grand Prix is better looking, but thats my opionion, but i still thin the Maxima is good looking...

thats why you bought a GTP and thats why we bought maximas.. we couldn't all own GTP's and we couldn't all own Maxima's.. someone has to like something else

Interior wise, yeah, the Maxima does win hand down easily.

If you haven't driven a GTP, then i sujjest you do. Just give it a try. I'm not saying buy it, just test drive it, and you'll see its not as horrible as some people are saying.
True.. we of all people shouldn't do this because the best way to buy a maxima is to test drive it.. and we go through the same thing GTP owners go through from honda accord and TL owners who assume their cars are faster because they have never driven one..

Pesonally i wouldn't buy a GTP because i don't buy Auto's.. but then again i wouldn't buy an Auto maxima ither.. but performance is performance and give the guy respect..

[/soapbox]
Old 06-19-2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I saw a bone stock one run 14.4 at English Town.. i got flamed for it.. so did the other 4 Maxima.org members who were at the track who saw it..
I cannot argue that the Grand Prix is a very nice car and that the GTP is fast, but i've test-driven several GTP's and none of them was quite that fast. Maybe that was the pick of the bunch, but your average GTP will not go that fast.
One thing that put me off from the GP's was that they are goverened. Even though it is at 130 mph, it is still goverened.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:36 AM

One thing that put me off from the GP's was that they are goverened. Even though it is at 130 mph, it is still goverened.
So are most Maximas. You can get a non-goved. max but most are. And besides, you can always remove that with an aftermarket PCM.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:39 AM

By the way...

What happened to all of the open-minded people like SprintMax??? There used to be some pretty cool people here with thoughtful posts. Though it seems that now everyone just likes to argue and bash everything but Maximas. Believe it or not there are some great cars other than the Max. Yes the Max is great but it's not the only good car out there. Let's show some respect for other people and other cars. Just my $.02
Old 06-21-2001, 08:10 AM

Re: By the way...

What happened to all of the open-minded people like SprintMax??? There used to be some pretty cool people here with thoughtful posts. Though it seems that now everyone just likes to argue and bash everything but Maximas. Believe it or not there are some great cars other than the Max. Yes the Max is great but it's not the only good car out there. Let's show some respect for other people and other cars. Just my $.02
I just stated facts above based on a comparision from pontiac, however I agree that there are many cars better than a Maxima, however I do not believe that the GTP is one of them, not to mention the fact that the engine in our cars is "simply the best V6" it has been one of the ten best engines 7 years and running, no other engine has done this ever. therefore we do have the best engine made right now based on testing done by Ward's
Old 06-21-2001, 09:30 AM

Automobile is a complex thing to compare. Many factors are involved, such as acceleration, comfort, convenience features, safety, style, reliability, etc. and they can be further detailed into sub items too. The definition of "better" or "best" is rather relative, depending on how we and professional tester weigh them. For example, if acceleration weighs much heavier than other items, then a high HP/TQ car of poor safety and low reliability could easily be the winner.

My goal when purchasing a new car is that reliability is always the first. Then I want some performance althrough I don't usually race but just drive maybe a little quicker and faster than average. Then I want some level of luxury. Safety is low on my checklist (not good?), as I believe I'm a safer driver with zero ticket in 12 years of driving, only one verbal warning. Maxima seemed to fit my need pretty well.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

*sigh* yea we do need to be more open minded... being all stuck up does offend others... not in a good way... hell we're all proud of our max's and its our opinion that they're better, but GTPs are good cars.. i wont compare them to a max cuz thats when everyone gets ****ed =) but driving both cars, I'll tell you i like the max better, but i can easily see why sumone might like the GTP better... I think the max's handling, size and refinement +the 5spd make it better to me, but the GTP's steering is nicer i think... and that means alot...its all about respect =) haha (how many times have we heard that) GTPs are alot like Maxs in their "missions" and by respect, i dont mean we cant laugh at Mustang GTs =) hahaha
did u know a '95 Buick Roadmaster can match a '96 Mustang GT 0-60? haha thats sad..
Old 06-21-2001, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

*sigh* yea we do need to be more open minded... being all stuck up does offend others... not in a good way... hell we're all proud of our max's and its our opinion that they're better, but GTPs are good cars.. i wont compare them to a max cuz thats when everyone gets ****ed =) but driving both cars, I'll tell you i like the max better, but i can easily see why sumone might like the GTP better... I think the max's handling, size and refinement +the 5spd make it better to me, but the GTP's steering is nicer i think... and that means alot...its all about respect =) haha (how many times have we heard that) GTPs are alot like Maxs in their "missions" and by respect, i dont mean we cant laugh at Mustang GTs =) hahaha
did u know a '95 Buick Roadmaster can match a '96 Mustang GT 0-60? haha thats sad..
Old 06-22-2001, 06:56 AM

yeah, Buick Roadmasters are supposed to be very strong, 1/4 mile in 15.0. so its very good competition to the 5sp Maxima and GTP. a lot of stock GTP's are beating 95-98 Mustang GT's. They do 1/4 mile around 15.1 stock, so they're close...but they have a much stronger top end than GTP...

incase anyone here cares(aftermarket...), a GTP ran this yesterday:

12.624@108.25 with a 1.82 60 FT (no NOS)

12.246@113.04 With a 1.92 60 FT (on juice)

and yeah, i'm 99.9% he's the fastest GTP until now. thats in the Viper's range!
Old 06-24-2001, 08:23 PM

Sorry to bring this post to the top but I thought this would be relavent. . . If you goto the following link from the Nissan site http://compare.nissandriven.com you can now compare the Maxima (and other Nissan cars) to similar cars. It only shows what you benefits the Max has over the other cars, but it is kinda interesting. Has all cars and trim levels that you can compare with.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

haha well its comes to mind that pontiac has the same thing on their website that shows the same thing cept the grand prix comes out on top with a tighter turn radius, more power, more rear seat room... blah blah... and also it seems the pontiac people believe longer is better as well as the do wider is better =) haha

Quick Reply: have you seen the new pontiac commercial?