4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

have you seen the new pontiac commercial?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 10:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where they pitted the 2001 pontiac grand prix against the 2001 maxima gxe...? then they sit there and dis' the maxima? that pee'd me off when i saw that.. just wanted to get some opinions...
Old 06-13-2001, 10:56 PM

Grand Prix's are nice cars and are very comparible to Maxima's in many many ways. The one thing the Grand Prix lacks though, is the build quality and ergonomics that the Maxima excels in. I did tons of research on the maxima and the grand prix before I finally decided to get my Max and when it comes down to it, those two are nearly the same car.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:00 PM

I almost forgot to add...

Has anyone seen the new Sunfire commercial? They advertise the Sunfire as a CD player and sunroof on wheels. You know it is a quality car when that is all that's mentioned on the commercial.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:06 PM

i saw it too during the sixers-lakers game... it made me extra mad.. i kept yelling "too bad my max wont fall apart after a year"
Old 06-13-2001, 11:42 PM

Grand Prix is cheaper too. I got the article of maxima, grand prix, accord, camry, and one other car I forgot. Although the Maxima one it won barely over the Pontiac, which was faster. Auto vs Auto the Grand Prix was faster. And no this wasn't the Supercharged GTP. It was the 3.8 liter pushrod 200 HP motor.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:16 PM

Ya I saw that commercial... Pontiac forgot to mention that american cars are crap and are going to fall apart after a year. Oh ya..nice delco radio that is on every single GM car...and nice 3 big ***** for the AC unit. Its 3300 dollars more because its 3300 dollars worth of a better quality..those idiots
Old 06-14-2001, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
Grand Prix is cheaper too. I got the article of maxima, grand prix, accord, camry, and one other car I forgot. Although the Maxima one it won barely over the Pontiac, which was faster. Auto vs Auto the Grand Prix was faster. And no this wasn't the Supercharged GTP. It was the 3.8 liter pushrod 200 HP motor.
thats weird, I've taken grand prix GT before wasn't that hard, by 70mph he was a car length behind me and kept falling then I let off and let him do a fly by.
Maybe theres very fast adn slow grand prixs due 2 GM's awsome construction quailty??
Old 06-14-2001, 03:26 PM

Yeah.. I was about to post the same thing. They also bashed on the Honda Accord.. oh well.. at least the Max is better.. at least the commercial didn't bash too much on the Max
Old 06-14-2001, 03:31 PM

Hey I am just happy Max's are being mentioned now. . . Before peopel only talked about the competition being Camrys and Accords, the Max must be posing a threat in the market now if they are being mentioned in commercials now.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:57 PM

as for options they compared it to a gxe, not a gle or an se
Old 06-14-2001, 04:34 PM
OG

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
Hey I am just happy Max's are being mentioned now. . . Before peopel only talked about the competition being Camrys and Accords, the Max must be posing a threat in the market now if they are being mentioned in commercials now.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:07 PM

Wait

Hey I was watching the game last night also. I saw the commercial and they one they compaired was the Accord not the Max. You sure it was a max? They might have different version's of the Ad running in different markets. I saw that and laughed also and it was an accord.

R
Old 06-14-2001, 06:15 PM

All I have to say is that if you own a pontiac you better have AAA!!!
Old 06-14-2001, 06:26 PM
maximaR

They probably had the pontiac GTP (supercharged) against the max GXE, which is by no means a fair comparison , the top end grand prix against the cheap, but still great maxima, and the GXE is still better. Granted that the GTP is probably plenty fast for what it is, but how good will it be up around 200,000 miles, the max will be alive and kicking, but the pontiac, as well as any other american car, will fall apart after about a year, or less. which is definitely weak.... the way i see it , theyre just targeting the best car in the class , and trying to bring it down to make them look good. because by now , everyone knows that the max rules the road over the accord and camry, and especially ANYTHING american with 4 doors. so theyre just talking " smack " on the top guy,,, its like trying to beat up the biggest kid in school ( me ) to make yourself look tough ,,, it looks good on paper, but it never really works.

Old 06-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Remember all those GM ads for Cadillac where they claimed they say the STS Deville could outcorner a BMW 5 series?

They even admitted in their fineprint that they compared a Cadillac with Z-Rated tires running the stability control as compared to the BMW running the "all-season" H-Rated tires and touring suspension -- not exactly an apples to apples comparison...

The same company that sells the Cavalier and Sunfire which were awared "SEVERE INJURY OR DEATH IS CERTAIN" ratings for side impact crashes... willingly taking a $1000 loss on each unit simply to meet Federal CAFE standards...

I think that GM has one separate and almost sacred team of reasonably talented engineers for the Corvette and another far less capable engineering team for just about every thing else they make --
Old 06-14-2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
The same company that sells the Cavalier and Sunfire which were awared "SEVERE INJURY OR DEATH IS CERTAIN" ratings for side impact crashes... willingly taking a $1000 loss on each unit simply to meet Federal CAFE standards...
I had to drive a Cavalier the other day to transfer it to another branch of where I work. . . I would never wish that car upon anyone, the only thing that was good about it was it's brakes performed somewhat decently. Other than that it did not have a single good trait. . . I could go on with the list of everything I didn't like about it, but every complaint I have is not minor by any means.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:55 PM

Nissan just need a couple more months, soon the 260hp maxima will kick back all the grand prix's a$$ and the 240hp will smoke the grandam so bad that it won't even be able to see the clear taillights, and the sentra SE-R can also say good bye to the ugly sunfire. and of course the pathfinder is already kicking aztek's a$$ now.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:05 PM
maximaR

Originally posted by costcowholesale
Nissan just need a couple more months, soon the 260hp maxima will kick back all the grand prix's a$$ and the 240hp will smoke the grandam so bad that it won't even be able to see the clear taillights, and the sentra SE-R can also say good bye to the ugly sunfire. and of course the pathfinder is already kicking aztek's a$$ now.
my bike will kick the aztecs *** ...

Old 06-14-2001, 07:15 PM

I can't wait until somebody gets a grand prix (non SC) and pulls up next to me... I promise it won't be a repeat of the comercial.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy

I had to drive a Cavalier the other day to transfer it to another branch of where I work. . . I would never wish that car upon anyone, the only thing that was good about it was it's brakes performed somewhat decently. Other than that it did not have a single good trait. . . I could go on with the list of everything I didn't like about it, but every complaint I have is not minor by any means.
Did you slam on them hard?? the ABS SUCKS!!!!! it kicks in so early and even with ABS on you can't really steer
Old 06-14-2001, 07:50 PM

Can I see the comerical anywhere online?? What exactly does it show?? do they drag race or what?? One thing that the GP will never be able to do like the maxima can, chasing the sun!!
Old 06-14-2001, 07:52 PM
3.0LMaxSE

easy people!

GM isn't all that bad! I love my Maxima too, but my '84 Trans Am is a killer ride. Yeah, it's had a lot of work done to it, but f-bodies have a HUGE aftermarket product assortment. I just wish that the Maxima had the same amount of choices. How crazy would it be to convert a Maxima to rear wheel drive with a small block under the hood? Yeah, I can just see all of you flaming me now! LIGHTEN UP!

Old 06-14-2001, 07:55 PM

Can I see the comerical anywhere online?? What exactly does it show?? do they drag race or what?? One thing that the GP will never be able to do like the maxima can, chasing the sun!!
I dont think its online. Try www.adcritic.com and see if its there. I haven't looked but they have a bunch of commercials there. The commercial just showed the pontiac with the "smart package," bragged about what it had, and said it was $3,000 cheaper than the 2001 Nissan Maxima GXE with similair options. I don't remember any Honda's in it but maybe I was just so shocked to see someone bashing the Maxima so directly, especially Pontiac, that I didn't notice.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:18 PM

Did you slam on them hard?? the ABS SUCKS!!!!! it kicks in so early and even with ABS on you can't really steer
Nope didn't slam on the brakes. . . Didn't have a need to, thank goodness or else I may not have been around to write this. . . I can honestly say it was the worst car I have ever driven without a doubt, and I have driven quite a few different cars in the recent days of working at a car rental place.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by maximaR
They probably had the pontiac GTP (supercharged) against the max GXE, which is by no means a fair comparison , the top end grand prix against the cheap, but still great maxima, and the GXE is still better.
Better? That depends on what you consider better. I love my Max too but we'll get creamed even with mods against a GTP. If you want fit and finish then yes, the max is better, and the cheapest Lexus is better than the Max. But as far as performance, both cornering and acceleration, and top speed for that matter, doesn't matter if it's an SE or GLE, or GXE, we'll ose. So it's all in your definition of better. Not trying to flame you, just bring a more unbiased opinion to the post.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:43 PM
QUANSUNG

Originally posted by JdawgX

Better? That depends on what you consider better. I love my Max too but we'll get creamed even with mods against a GTP. If you want fit and finish then yes, the max is better, and the cheapest Lexus is better than the Max. But as far as performance, both cornering and acceleration, and top speed for that matter, doesn't matter if it's an SE or GLE, or GXE, we'll ose. So it's all in your definition of better. Not trying to flame you, just bring a more unbiased opinion to the post.
i don't know about that but i spanked a preety red 2k gtp gtx on the parkway today after 90mph he had nothing left{of course i'm not stock ,and as far as top speed goes the maxima's is higher stock vs stock acceleration 0-60 and 1/4 are close with the max having a slightly higher trap speed,i almost bought a 2k 4dr gtp but lack of a manual,warranty and top end put me in the max.but the gtp is the best thing under 30k in an american sedan.

Old 06-14-2001, 11:56 PM

What's the big fuzz! There is no comparison, the pontiac blows up within the its first year. And if you're lucky you might get 10k miles without having a dozen recalls. The only people laughing all the way to the bank are the people at AAA. DON'T COMPARE!!!! Look what happened to oldsmobiles. Those pos cars should of went out of business 2 decades ago.
Old 06-15-2001, 02:06 AM

can someone give me a link to that commercial? thanks
Old 06-15-2001, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
where they pitted the 2001 pontiac grand prix against the 2001 maxima gxe...? then they sit there and dis' the maxima? that pee'd me off when i saw that.. just wanted to get some opinions...
---------------------------------------------------------------
personally i am disapointed in you guys.. you failed to mension that the grand prix has that very ugly side crap on it... the wavy stuff down the sides.. wtf is that?? not only that gm must lack brain power cause the max is pulling 190 out of a 3 liter... they got almost a whole nother liter and only 10 horses.. whats wrong with this picture? not only that id pit the base model max agaisnt the base model prix and youll find that the prix has drum brakes. the interior lacks any kind of styling or erganomics..... the fact is that the prix doesnt compare to the max...even if IN THE REPORT it was slightly faster.... ive done 3 years of reaserch and in my opinion and i convince everyone else i talk to so im goin to say there isnt a car that compares to the max... unless you compare it to sports cars.. but the max isnt a sports car. anyway i could go on all day about what the gm lacks but i wont... AND QUIT DISSIN AMERICAN CARS.. THEY ARE GOOD CARS!!!!!! just this one sucks.... making a blatened statement like domestic cars suck... is just ignorance

dan
Old 06-15-2001, 08:59 AM
BlkCat

Before I bought my '98 Max I checked out the Grand Prix, the Intrigue, the Buick Regal GS and the Saab 95 turbo. It was the fitment and other finishes on the Grand Prix and the Regal drove me away. The Grand Prix had a too wild for my tastes dash and cheap weather stripping. It conjured up bad memories of my wife's long dead Pontiac "Dis-Astre". The dash on the Regal was not fitted well to the doors and was definitely not sporty feeling! The Intrigue had a great finish but felt rather heavy because of its bulk. The Saab was great looking (I still love the last generation Saab Turbo) but way overpriced. Unless GM improves its build quality control I'm staying away from them, no matter how sexy their cars may be.

Old 06-15-2001, 09:22 AM

I haven't seen the commercial yet. whenever it comes to buying a new car, I'll naturally shop for a Jap car, especially Jap's big three. Yes I once in a while stopped at the domestic car dealership and looked around and touched around, just to get some feeling how good those cars are. So far my impression is that domestic cars are of low quality, at least from the appearance. Look at the gaps, seals, etc. Especially the Pontiac, my taste tells me it's got most ugly dash layout, and its exterior is kind of sportier by in a funny way.

Sometime I really want to save money on new cars, however those low quality cars just bounced me back to Jap cars. I don't even want to have one time car failure on the highway just to save a few grands.
Old 06-15-2001, 09:46 AM
JSMAX97

I agree with Dan, not all american cars are junk. My wife has a 95 olds aurora and that thing can fly and is very stylish. It is a heavy car and is not to my liking and has some interior trim problems after a while, like some small rattle here and there, but mechanically it is very sound and has had very few problems. I personally love my max better and will continue to by max's in the future as I consider it to be one of the best values because you can keep it for a long time.

Old 06-15-2001, 10:06 AM

I haven't seen it yet,is there somewhere online I can see it?
Old 06-15-2001, 10:12 AM
Maxima Princess

My carpooler has a 99 Supercharged GTP, and that thing hauls a$$, then again she's a 50 year old leadfoot driver who used to race corvettes ....it's a very comfortable car & has many more options than my max (maybe not compared to a GLE . It's a nice car, but I love my max more
Old 06-15-2001, 11:17 AM
BlkCat

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a GTP?

Old 06-15-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Vandanno
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a GTP?
It's a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) It has a 3.8l Supercharged V-6 and is a great car.

By the way, guys, it's an ad. Companys compare themselves favorably to other companys all the time. It's part of advritising and the business world. The max and grand prix are both great cars. If you would rather have a max, then great, but there's no reason to rip on the pontiac. And they don't fall part in a year as many of you seem to think. I know several people with 70,000+mi with LOTS of mods that are still running trouble free. These modded cars are outrunning brand new Z-28s o-60. I also know people with 140,000 on thier pontiacs and they also have no problems. Yes the Max will last a litlle longer but not that much. The newer American cars are becoming MUCH more reliable. And in responce to your comments about all the recalls, have you looked into the recalls for the maxs? 97 PW steering return hose wasn't tightened by the factory correctly, 96 maxs have quite a few recalls. All cars are recalled at some point or another for stupid little things. Hell, look at mitsubishi, they covered there's up so as not to be so embaressed. So even Japanese car makers have recalls. Not trying to start flaming you guys, but come on, lighten up on American cars. They're not as bad as you think.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Grand Prix won't make it to 200k.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:21 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by maximasrule

---------------------------------------------------------------
personally i am disapointed in you guys.. you failed to mension that the grand prix has that very ugly side crap on it... the wavy stuff down the sides.. wtf is that??
dan

I'm pretty sure it's the Grand Am's that have that funky wavy molding down the side of the car....
Old 06-15-2001, 07:54 PM

yeah.. i already checked www.adcritic.com before i posted so i could provide a link to you guys who havent seen it, but i ddint see it, oh well, maybe they will have it soon... they must have 2 commercials, one against accord one against maxima.. thats a pretty bold move agaisnt honda and nissan.. FIGHT BACK NISSAN!! ha.. the $3,300 isnt much more to pay if your are alreasy investing at least $20,000 and want a better car... i mean all they did was say.. blah blah blah all this stuff is on our car.. BUT they DIDNT point out all the BETTER stuff on the max.. and theyre "Wider is Better" the maxima is only 2 inches less wide as the grand prix..hmmm.. all they wanna do is lure un-suspecting customers, i mean if you do ANY research at all you will see they max bein better.. well, anyways.. enough of me runnin my mouth.. go here, you can see for yourself.. http://pontiac.com/grandprix/comparisons.html
Old 06-15-2001, 08:25 PM
supertool

Carsdirect.com

Maxima GXE + auto comes in at 21K
Pontiac Grand Prix comes at 19.4K

So 3000 is BS numbers counting Pontiac $1500 rebate, but not counting Nissan special pricing.
I know my friend got a new 2001 Maxima SE auto yesterday for $22K.

Quick Reply: have you seen the new pontiac commercial?