4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$693.54... Did I get jacked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by konak85
What about $500.00 for new water pump and chain tensioner at the same time? Is that a good deal?
Umm..no

An honest mechanic will charge you less than half of that. However, if you're talking about replacing the tensioner & guide...that's a different story
Old 04-08-2006, 03:04 PM
SLOW

Even paying typical shop prices I'd say he got overcharged. More than $150 for a reman rear caliper is expensive - I just priced one the other day actually at $100 after core charge from Napa. So lets call it $150 for the caliper, $50 for the rotor (high), $50 for the pads (high), and $50 for the ball joint(not sure never priced one). That's $300 total in parts. So he paid $393 in labor. Typical shop rate is $75-85/hr. That comes out to ~4.75 hours worth of labor at $85/hour or ~5.25 hours at $75/hour... the work that was done on his car does not take that long, it wouldn't even take that long for a first time home mechanic with a decent set of hand tools (assuming no siezed bolts). A shade-tree home mechanic with a set of air tools could do the work in half the time it appears he was charged for.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:00 PM

I guess paying $125 per hour for labor isn't that bad. I went to this machanic asking him how much would it cost to put on a rebuilt manual tranny and he told me like 1800. That's about 800 for the part and about $350 per hour in labor. I really wanted to laugh at him when he told me, but I gave him five bucks for checking the gear oil and left.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 95bluse
Umm..no

An honest mechanic will charge you less than half of that. However, if you're talking about replacing the tensioner & guide...that's a different story
Well ye, he changed the water pump, timing chain tensioner and guide for $500.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:15 PM

bend over..
Old 04-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Maintenance Monster

You guys are trying to compare apples and oranges.

1) you don't know what kind of parts were installed. The price for some of these parts varies widely, because the quality varies widely too. I personally would never buy a $75 Autozone caliper, and I don't recommend it to others.

2) Some shops charge book rate, others charge per hour actually spent, and the amount of time required to do the job varies widely. Depending on what other things were done, and in what order, the labor will be different.

If you take the time to learn how shops handle this stuff, you'll be better equipped to not get ripped off, and better understand where to take your car for which jobs. The cost, quality, and accuracy of a repair varies, and trying to ignore that is foolish.

Dave
Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 PM

you didn't get jacked, thats how much it should be. When i didn't have a license, my parents would always take it to shops. But if you're sick of paying other people to do it, then try to do it yourself. Lemme remind you, tools aren't cheap either. I have over $1000 in tools at home. So maybe i got jacked cause some other guy out there could make his own tools, but hey, i do'nt know how to make tools so i have to buy them. Just like you didn't know how to fix your car, you had to buy someone's time to fix it. Nothing wrong with that. If everyone starts to fix their own car, there will be so many jobless mechanics out there.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:51 AM

ImmaSquashYou nice whip
Old 04-09-2006, 08:11 AM

i got two rotors and two brake pads put on the rears the other day for 50. and next week im ordering some slotted rotors from brembo and this shop is goin to put them on the front and brake pads and ss brake lines for 100
Old 04-09-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by maxiquin
i got two rotors and two brake pads put on the rears the other day for 50. and next week im ordering some slotted rotors from brembo and this shop is goin to put them on the front and brake pads and ss brake lines for 100
I do'nt know what kind of rotors and brake pads are getting, but if you paid $50 for all of that PLUS install, it seems kidna shady. My axxis ultimate brake pads cost about $38 and each brembo blank rotor cost about $30. So I don't know what kinda parts you're getting. If its the same stuff i'm getting, hell hook some orgers up for a hell of a good price.

Originally Posted by russianguy
ImmaSquashYou nice whip
Thanks..-= )
Ya parusky chute chute
(i'm asian btw) -= 0
Old 04-10-2006, 08:34 PM

you didnt get ripped off.. dont listen to a bunch of people that dont know.. if its 3 hours of labor, its probably $90 an hour just for that.. so theres $270 rite there.. and you probably have nissan parts too.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 PM

c'mon guys be nice, just because he paid $693 for some break pad stuff doesn't mean he got jacked. I mean if he knew how to do it himself, then he wouldn't have paid all that money rite? I'd say there is a good amount of people out there that don't have th knowledge to change a break pad or calipers out there... give the kid some slack... he'll learn eventually
Old 04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ethnic6
just because he paid $693 for some break pad stuff doesn't mean he got jacked...............I'd say there is a good amount of people out there that don't have th knowledge to change a break pad or calipers out there...
His brakes better not break after paying that much....
Old 04-10-2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ethnic6
c'mon guys be nice, just because he paid $693 for some break pad stuff doesn't mean he got jacked. I mean if he knew how to do it himself, then he wouldn't have paid all that money rite? I'd say there is a good amount of people out there that don't have th knowledge to change a break pad or calipers out there... give the kid some slack... he'll learn eventually
I'm sorry this is an enthusiast site. Where (unless I missed something) we learn to do for ourselves, or can get in contact/reference to a good person who would do it for a good price.

If you know how to turn a ratchet, and scrub a surface clean you can change your brakes, they are much easier than people realize. Of course if you dont have the time you have to pay the price and have it done. I'm sure I could make a post in the regional section, and someone who can do the job for cheap would do it, and in half the time of a "professional" shop.

If you have to asked weather you got ripped off or not. . . you probably did get ripped.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 PM
VIP Maxima

i love threads like this. people go pay up and THEN they wonder if they got jacked or not. couldnt you post a thread with a title saying "AM I ABOUT TO GET JACKED?" why is it alwas "DID I GET JACKED?"

perhaps im the only one who ASKS about the price before i get ringed up.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:05 PM

$90 an hour = dealer rate =

Like I said before, shop around first because not everyone charges that much per hour.

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
you didnt get ripped off.. dont listen to a bunch of people that dont know.. if its 3 hours of labor, its probably $90 an hour just for that.. so theres $270 rite there.. and you probably have nissan parts too.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Not everyone uses common sense! Just look at all the threads that crop up in here. I usually go to at least 5 places for quotes, then I try to find out how hard the labor is. Then I try to figure out whether I can do it or not. Most of the time, I have been able to except for when I need some serious air tools. Then I just head out to my buddy's shop and do the work there.

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
i love threads like this. people go pay up and THEN they wonder if they got jacked or not. couldnt you post a thread with a title saying "AM I ABOUT TO GET JACKED?" why is it alwas "DID I GET JACKED?"

perhaps im the only one who ASKS about the price before i get ringed up.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Exactly. Too late junior.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:55 AM
lefty

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I'm sorry this is an enthusiast site. Where (unless I missed something) we learn to do for ourselves, or can get in contact/reference to a good person who would do it for a good price.

Ummm... do you know the meaning of Enthusiast yorself? Does not solely mean you have to be a DIY. You can be a maxima Enthusiast purely for the enjoyment of owning, driving and just loving everything about the car without going under the hood to do repairs yourself.

Trust me, if you go on say the Ferrari Enthusiast sites, I don't think they go under the car themselves to do their own oil and brakes...but they still remain Enthusiasts of the car.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry to hear about your loss!! Atleast the car is still running. I got charged $634 for alternator then the car literally died 8 miles later. The mechanic said that "I knew the car was going to go out on you before you get home" but never bothered to say anything. How stupid is that!! I cant even sell the car for $600 now.(its a 92 VE auto)
Old 04-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Jamaha80

yeah.. jack hammer style...

Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 AM

Mucho dinero!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by lefty
Ummm... do you know the meaning of Enthusiast yorself? Does not solely mean you have to be a DIY. You can be a maxima Enthusiast purely for the enjoyment of owning, driving and just loving everything about the car without going under the hood to do repairs yourself..
Yes I do know the meaning, if you would have read what I wrote, I stated doing the work yourself, or getting a good connection or a good place to have it done for a good deal.

Reading > You.

Originally Posted by lefty
Trust me, if you go on say the Ferrari Enthusiast sites, I don't think they go under the car themselves to do their own oil and brakes...but they still remain Enthusiasts of the car.
A ferrari is a far more complicated vehicle than our cars, not exact the best reference. Try again.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:24 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by SlackR237
Ok, it was $693.54 for the following:

2 brake pads
rear right brake rotor
rear right caliper
brake fluid
right front lower ball joint

All with labor and such. I was getting a constant squeak from my rear right wheel until I came to a complete stop. Took it to Tuffy, and here's what I got. Just wondering if they screwed me or not.
OH MAN! I surprised you're not gushing blood from that shafting! Tuffy = F*cky

Did you get an itemized receipt of how much each thing cost?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Well I save as I do most work myself and anyone else that does their own work saves considerably. But even with good research, he could've easily saved at least $300. My first rotor cut/brake change for front & rear was $295 before I just learned to do it myself.

So hopefully this is a learned lesson to either do it yourself the next time or another org member in your area do it for you and use that extra money to mod something else on your car.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:54 PM

You cannot judge a home do it yourself with a dealer It runs bout 3 to 4 times higher , Labor 65-75 hr 3 hrs parts. you get the picture Jack.. Peace
I had 4 qoutes to rpair my Ignition coils that were fried at 28,000. 1999 maxima. I know they know NISSAN> crooks. They are defective. but the quotes were 495-up to 820. so shop around
Old 04-11-2006, 04:56 PM

I live in Eastern Massachusetts, any one know a mechanic who works on the side. Brakes,oil changes tune ups ect..thanks
Old 04-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Considering I got all four brake pads, calibers, disks, rotors, and whatever else associated with brakes. All that for $500 Canadian.
So yes, you got ripped.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 PM
HallKemar

Originally Posted by MaxedOut99SE
Hey theres a first time for everything, I'm sure most of the folk in this forum got jacked one time or another, **** happens.
Thats how you gain knowledge...EVERYONE has been jerked..I cant name one person or car expert that hasnt been jerked before..Its apart of the car ownership/knowledge process..Hopefully the fool that paid nearly 700 to get s** fixed wont do such again..If your going to buy parts check ebay first and make sure you do your research before completing the process..700=v6 engine ...

Don't worry man dont feel bad. When I was 19 I paid 1900 for a 90 accord which was in horrible condition..Till this day I cant believe I did so...But hey, s*** happens..

Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 AM

I paid $250 for remanufactured rear calipers and rear pads. Between all the troubleshooting and driving around to find the parts (I wanted to stab a few autozone employees. They told me they had the calipers but when I got to the store they acutally meant the autozone 20 miles away has them), it probably took around 8 hours. And this was in my apartment parking lot, which isn't the best work environment with all the cars around.

So if you would rather not spend your time with your hands in brake cleaner and dust, and you had the money to spend on labor, then it was a good idea to take it to the shop. I can't comment on the actually price paid for labor, because I don't know how they calculated it.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
why didn't you do more research? you should have done it yourself. i know i would.
I love it when ppl say, "Why didn't you do it yourself?"

Not everyone has the knowledge or the facilities to do their own work. But back to the thread... you got thourougholy (sp) jacked.