Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   hard tranny shifts (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/351557-hard-tranny-shifts.html)

gle w/o sunroof 04-24-2006 06:24 PM

hard tranny shifts

just got a new tranny..well used with 42k..but the shift from 1-2 is very hard under 2500 rpm's.especially between 2000-2500.after those rpm's it shifts very nice.any ideas??

TurTLe* 04-25-2006 03:42 AM

since you just got a new tranny in, maybe do a flush right off the bat? I mean the tranny fluid, well w/e was left in the car was exposed for x amount of days and might be dirty and they didn't bother to flush it out. Or maybe your short on fluid.

ALSOUSA99MAXIMA 04-25-2006 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by gle w/o sunroof
just got a new tranny..well used with 42k..but the shift from 1-2 is very hard under 2500 rpm's.especially between 2000-2500.after those rpm's it shifts very nice.any ideas??

:run: :run: I got the same fu(kin problem!!!! i did the tranny flush, i did not work, then i dropped the drian plug and ran lucas tranny oil in it, that didnt work. Then i flushed the lucas oil out cause it made the car shift funny.

My question 2 you is you say that it shifts hard into 2nd from 1st, how about out of 2nd to 1st? Mine does not shift hard it more of a nudge. I am thinking it might be a shift soleniod, :russ: keep me posted on what you find out and i will do the same. What have you treid to correct this problem?

kbmaxima 04-25-2006 05:56 AM

i've learned to live with the harsh 1-2 upshift, but i do have to agree, the hard 2-1 downshift really gets me annoyed. not a nudge. no no. more of a *THUNK* nudge

zeeman 04-25-2006 11:05 AM

same thing here....annoying as ballz. But these hard ****s goes away mostly after tranny works throught the gear for a while.

ALSOUSA99MAXIMA 04-25-2006 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by zeeman
same thing here....annoying as ballz. But these hard ****s goes away mostly after tranny works throught the gear for a while.

:banghead: IT DOESN'T GO AWAY FOR ME JUST GETS FAINT, I hate it i wish i could just figure it out and fix it

gle w/o sunroof 04-25-2006 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by zeeman

yea my uncle(mechanic) said that it should smooth out over time since the tranny was sitting....no guys my tranny is fine from 2-1..only 1-2 is hard,sort of like I was driving a 5sp.

95 maxima se 04-25-2006 06:09 PM

thts the same problem i have, when i started the car in the morning only, but after the temp. goes up, it shifts normally:scratch:

zeeman 04-25-2006 06:20 PM

our autos suck like ballz.

Rated Maxxx 04-25-2006 06:28 PM

Sorry to be a little off topic but, :banghead: I have a 97 Max GXE and I just recently changed the throwout bearing and the clutch. I changed the throwout bearing because when I bought the car I heard this rubbing sound, like a skateboard riding sound that you would only hear if you didnt step on the clutch. Fast forward to now, new throwout bearing and a new clutch and the sound is still there. Do anyone know what else could be the problem.

gle w/o sunroof 04-26-2006 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rated Maxxx
Sorry to be a little off topic but, :banghead: I have a 97 Max GXE and I just recently changed the throwout bearing and the clutch. I changed the throwout bearing because when I bought the car I heard this rubbing sound, like a skateboard riding sound that you would only hear if you didnt step on the clutch. Fast forward to now, new throwout bearing and a new clutch and the sound is still there. Do anyone know what else could be the problem.

we're all auto in this thread so far so I dont think sooooo........:tardsmash

ALSOUSA99MAXIMA 04-26-2006 11:23 AM

ya our autos do suck:nupe500: someone told me that it could be worn shocks, struts :gotme: and some one told me that he replaced his speedo cluster and that fixed the problem:gotme: which makes no sense, i realy think it could be our shift solenoids

WhiteMaxima9600 04-26-2006 11:30 AM

Don't sweat it... I've had that problem for 3yrs now and it stills shifts hard in tha low gears.... My fluid needs changing but i'm thinking it the shift solenoids... Good to know it's a common problem i guess...

I need a five speed dam*it :mad:

JUS10 04-26-2006 12:00 PM

I Have The Same Problem, It Shifts Hard From First To Second Gear, Every Thing Else Works Fine.