4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Would you buy your 4th Gen Maxima Again?
Definitely Would
55.41%
Probably Would
22.07%
Not Sure
7.21%
Probably Would Not
9.01%
Definitely Would Not
6.31%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy your 4th Gen again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 PM

When I was car shopping, a 5 speed Maxima was on my list, although I was leaning towards sportier options (240, 300zx, Integras). I called a local dealer about an Integra GSR they had listed, it was sold however I got to talking with the guy about the other cars I was looking into. He told me they had just gotten a manual '99 in, and I went straight over to check it out.

I was telling myself that if I was going to get a Maxima, it had to be an SE and any color but the beige I seemed to see on every Maxima in town. I got there and saw that the car was an SE...but beige. I test drove it anyway and bought it on the spot.

I'd definitely buy another one, although I might hold out for one in a bit better condition cosmetically (mine has a bunch of damage from the previous owner's lack of ability to park).
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 PM

I would buy another, but definently a newer 4th gen, 97+. I still want my 5 speed, but something with less miles and less rust. Maybe even black on black
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
I AM A BUSINESS

Would I bbuy my 4th gen again?
In Connecticut, Maximas are being compared to Honda's because everyone has one..So I, wouldn't even consider buying another 4th gen..

Old 05-12-2006, 10:30 PM

hell f-ckin no...
Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
hell f-ckin no...
I take it you purchased your 4th gen recently? The same finances what would you have purchased rather than the 4th Gen when in the year you had purchased it?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 AM

I ordered my Maxima through an autobroker and took delivery on October 1, 1994. I ordered it loaded with a 5-speed and had it Diamond coated, leather-protected and rustproofed before I picked it up. It's a Canadian model and has LSD.

I'm coming up to 64K mostly highway miles and the car looks and runs like new. In fact, I haven't even changed the spark plugs yet.

The only problems I have had of any consequence are a new 02 sensor replaced on warranty about 8 years ago and a seized right rear brake caliper, a result of my own stupidity for not using the emergency brake for about 5 years. Other than that I've replaced a front headlight bulb and everything else has been routine maintenance.

I have not replaced the front brake pads or any belts or hoses yet.

I will likely have this car for another 20 years if I last that long, lol!

PS I had to replace the R134a air-conditioning refrigerant 3 years ago.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:01 AM

My family now has two 99s, so yeah I like the 4th generation alot. One of my friends had a 95 SE, new, back in 1995 that he drove 100K miles with literally no problems. I love the looks of the 4th gens, especially the 97+ restyling. The dash and gauges are classic. 190hp and strong low end torque are some of the best features. I wish Nissan had kept the car in the lineup, at a cheaper price like the Jeep Cherokees were.
I'd recommend a 4th gen to anyone looking for a car that can carry 4 in comfort and has a strong v6 engine, and low maintance. It is a FWD family sedan, so you can't really compare it to a BMW 3 series.
I might have considered an 1996 Infiniti I30t, with the BBS rims, limited slip differential, and fully loaded features, but those cars seem rare on the used market.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:15 AM

No way! I paid 22,xxx for it in 1998, and it listed for 29,3xx. I was foolish in thinking that I got a good deal, over $6500 off list. After all these years, we know it's the Nissan way. Actually, Hyundai seems to do the same thing. That's why these two car companies have no resale value across their products. Every Nissan including the Titan has had a rebate except the new Pathy I believe. It's the way that Nissan sells. Therefore, my point is the list price means nothing on a Nissan--it's inflated so a Maxima can be in the Avalon or TL class, which we know is not the case. True cost to drive off the lot is way higher on the Avalon or TL. Today, so many cars are better and the same or cheaper than Nissan's products, so I would never buy another Nissan. New Camry = winner, slam dunk. Nissan has never had a car like that in its history (top seller, etc.). That's why it's 2nd tier Japanese.

What Nissan is good for is the 18-24 yr. olds of the world who don't want to spend a lot on a car--a 1998 Maxima SE 5-spd with 110k is not a bad buy for only $3200 or whatever it tends to sell for. That doesn't mean the original owner has to be pleased and say he'd buy another Nissan....
Old 05-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Probably not

I bought my current 98 GLE when my 97 GXE got smashed up by a lady who thought stop signs didn't apply to her. Unfortunately it was late summer and the pickings were slim so I bought this one since it was probably the best of the lot I saw. But, now that I look back what I really wanted was an I30. I'm not bagging on my car it is in great shape heck the previous owner did all the scheduled maintence on the car on the dot (including the wipers at dealer price). But, it has a lot of miles and a bunch of small dings on the hood and the color wasn't my first pick. Burgendy on tan. Actually now that I think about it I should of picked up the Lexus LS400 (Black on Tan) my friends coworker offered. It was a steal and it would have been fun till I found the I30 I wanted. Oh well. I can't complain about my car it runs great, has enough punch to keep life interesting and I will probably have to wait quite a few years before it'll die.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

More than likely so...

My used Maxima was my first car that I actually worked for. I got it for a good price off my Aunt. A 96 SE in the dog-a-matic. She was pretty nutty about regular maint and all that and it only had 65,000 miles on it when I picked it up last year. The sunroof didn't work and that was the only thing wrong with it. $50 part's kit and a 12 pack later that worked. I would more than likely buy the car again in a heartbeat. I am kind of having an internal conflict right now. I have a decent job and I am feeling the allure or something new but I can't really justify getting rid of mad max because there is nothing wrong with it. It just goes and goes. All I can say is that it was a much better first car than that god awful Olds Achieva my brother picked up.

SirPorl
Old 05-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Second tier??

I don't understand how you classify Nissan as 2nd tier manufacturer. They have sold a lot of cars so they must be doing something correct. I can understand why a nissan isn't in the same class as a TL......Maybe you should compare an Infinity to an Acura. That would be a more apples to apples. As far as Toyota goes, I just don't see the fascination. While toyota does make a quality auto, well most of the time, their styles seem bland compared to Nissan and Honda. Anyone else remember those god awful bubble camry's of the mid to late 90s? My friend had one, he loved that car. It was so great blah blah blah. What was he love with...the blazing speed from that 135hp inline 4? The not-so-amazing cornering aspect? That make ya grab the OSH in response to that major body roll. Nah I think it was the granny appeal of the car. Toyota doesn't seem to be really that innovative these days with their lineup...it seems like they are more into sitting back and watching the market and then seeing how they can slip their vanilla offerring into the mix.

Just my toyota hating,

SirPorl
Old 05-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Probably not, i was forced into my car,
1) i wanted a black SE 5spd i saw at woodfield ford and elgin mazda
2) my mazda at the time was taking lil ****s on me (trans, A/C, Brakes, Engine) so i needed on quick.
But i didnt have any kind of money to get a newer style (back in 03) one or any other car and my brother said he'd sell me his since he was overseas for duty.
Now, if i had to pick a car with the amount of money i make/save/earn NOW. i would get a lexus or a SE Camry. i make 2x the money i made in 03 when i got this car. so no regrets, except maybe color/trim.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:33 PM
scoobystoned...

i would probably buy another one, but it would have to be an white or black on black SE 5-speed. id NEVER buy an autotragic again. i love the pearl white paint though, thats one of my favorite things about my car, i wish it had black leather again.
5 years down the road from now (ive only had my max for like 7 months bought with 128K now it has 135K) i may end up gettin rid of it and getting a toyota tacoma or nissan frontier, if i decide to get a truck. if i decide to stay with a car, it would for sure be a 2002-2003 5th gen VQ35 6-speed SE, white or black with black leather., but i would consider a 98 or 99 SE L VLSD 5-sp with low miles.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Nissan has never had a car like that in its history (top seller, etc.). That's why it's 2nd tier Japanese.
:
Best selling sports car in the world?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 AM

Course I'd buy my 4th gen SE 5spd again!!!! This has been the best/most fun and or enjoyable car I've owned. Second place was a 72 BMW 3.0 CSI 4spd that I owned in Germany. There are other cars that I "lust" over but "Max" has served me well: no mechanical failures other than wear and tear items; 4 doors so it's usefull as a family car; lots of power but economical too (bout 24 around town and 27 on the highway); did I mention fun?; a real "Q-ship" in that other drivers just don't recognize what this car can do. The car (SE's) look great right out of the box and only get better when you start adding things. Not radical here, I'm just bout to put on some Illuminas and H&Rs. Improve the handling and the looks. I've got the SE w/ 5spd and leather package, auto a/c, Bose and the only thing I wish it had was the cold wx package (heated mirrors and heated seats). So, yes I'd buy it again.....maybe a 97 sterling mist SE 5spd with everything this time
Old 05-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Not to ***** the thread, but I had a 1973 BMW 2002 tii in the 70s and my buddy had a 1973 BMW 3.0 CS, both awesome cars.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 PM
no more maxima...

If I could go back in time, I would buy this car all over again. However at this very moment, I want a car with different parameters (350+ hp, RWD, 2 door, manual transmission)
Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM

I would def. buy this car again seein that i just got it about a year ago. No regrets what so ever.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 AM

I love my 4th gen. Got it from my parents a few years ago. Though it's an auto, it only has 65k on it so I'm hopeing to have it for quite some time. I don't like the new Maximas, but the G35s sure looks like a nice 4-door. I may get rid of my Max when a used G35 become cheaper years down the road..
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 AM

I loved my 4th gen Maxima. It was a great car to drive, it was my first car, handed down from my mom. I recently bought a 5.5 Gen SE 6-Speed and I haven't looked back. Two years from now, I don't think I'll be looking for another Maxima, I don't like the road Nissan is taking. A Volvo S40 T5 AWD Turbo is next.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:06 AM

I'd go with a 5.5 gen this time around.....
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by jbrocious
looks like most of you are satisfied......good to know, it looks like ill be picking up a 97 i30t on tuesday... once i have enough posts, i will put up pictures
I no longer have my 96 Maxima, but I absolutely loved it. I wouldn't buy it back simply because I'm a car guy and have become spoiled buy my G35. However, I won't hesitate to recommend 4th/5th gen Maximas to people who are looking at used reliable bargin-priced sport/luxury FWD sedans. To me, it's the only obvious choice.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Agreed for the price, power, function, reliability it's a great choice, and putting myself 5 years ago I'm glad I did buy it and I would buy it again. However we should all be conscious that there just so many awesome cars out there.

Originally Posted by Dave B
I no longer have my 96 Maxima, but I absolutely loved it. I wouldn't buy it back simply because I'm a car guy and have become spoiled buy my G35. However, I won't hesitate to recommend 4th/5th gen Maximas to people who are looking at used reliable bargin-priced sport/luxury FWD sedans. To me, it's the only obvious choice.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM

I would probably do it...depending on finances and gas prices of course. I shopped around for a few months before I decided on the Maxima and I found it to be the best car for the price. Next time I would however get a 5 speed SE since I also want a sunroof and Bose stereo.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Ichiban King

honestly I love the thing tell the day I die but for what I want I really shouldve got the 300zx TT or the 240sx with the SR20. but the max has impressed me and I would get it over those cars again just because it never fails me, its truly an engineering marvel in my eyes. But yeah wish I had lets see leather, bose and VLSD. I rock sport cloth, generic nissan system and open-diff..
Old 05-15-2006, 09:32 PM

I would and did... after I crashed my 96 i30 I bought 98 i30
Old 05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would buy another one for sure. I searched very hard for one from March 05to October 05 before I found the one I wanted. 98 SE Black w/black leather, 5 speed and every option. Took forever to find but WELL worth the wait.

I did the same thing looking for my wifes car. 3.5 5-speed altima, silver w/ black leather and every option. Took over 6 months to find. This thing will do circles around my maxima.

I am too cheap to buy new. I hate losing $5000+ in value just by driving a new vehicle off the lot. Did it once, never again. Now I just sit on my hands and wait untill what I want is available used.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Like some of you have said, I wouldn't get the same one I have now. Now that I know more about my car, specifically 4th gen., I would look for a 5 speed, black, and the list could go on, but i won't.

I originally bought the car thinking i was done modding and tired of spending/wasting my money on car stuff. So i thought i was buying a family car that looked okay and was pleasant to drive.

Once i actually realized that the car was really fun to drive and fairly fast for what it is, the modding addiction caught me again, although not as heavily.
So, i guess i would buy a 4th gen again, because i know more of what i should be looking for.....

Does that make any sense at all, congratulations if you read that whole thing...WOW?!
dave where are you in everett?

i have been around maximas ever since 86 its the only car i have ever wanted and the only thing ill drive.
PERIOD!!
i have a blk/blk 98se. the only thing i would do different is buy it as a stick instead of converting again.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM

I had a lot of trouble finding my car. I wanted a BLK on BLK fully loaded SE with a manual transmission. I found one in 2001, couldn't afford it (I was only 19) and then after 2 years of saving money and testing driving every other decent car in my price range (and coming close to buying a couple) I found MY Maxima. It was everything I had wanted and I'm so glad I waited. Now I never have to see another Maxima that's better than mine.

This is the first car I've owned where even after the newness wore off I still loved it. Sometimes while driving, I STILL look around and smile and give it a little pat on the dash. (BTW, my Maxima is a boy...why is everybody else's a girl? How can we even tell?! I just KNOW he's a boy, he's like my boyfriend.)
Old 05-16-2006, 01:59 PM

Do you have any idea how bad I regret convincing my mom to trade in her 99 i30 for the 5.5 gen??? the 4th gen is impressive to say the least, it keeps making you say "wow, this thing is so much better than I ever thought it could be"
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maxillimus
I wouldn't, my car is faster, handles better, and the system actually bumps more!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maxillimus
I wouldn't, my car is faster in the 1/4 and top-speed, handles better, and the stock bose even hits harder!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:32 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

probably not. as much as I like my '98 even though it was originally my brother's, the $$ to fix/maintain it can go to a new car payment, so once my max reaches 150K its goin' bye-bye
Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 PM

If I to have some extra cash I'd deff buy any 4th gen 97~99 5SPD I just love it. Altough i'm current 5th gen owner, i still like 4th gen more.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Absolutely! I'm the original owner of my 96 GLE and I enjoy it today as much as I did when it was new. I had the dealer add the fog lights, sunroof deflector, mud flaps and cargo net. If I had to do it over again, I would have ordered the ABS and cold weather package for the heated seats and mirrors.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:08 PM
hazepurple

yup i would

Old 05-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
I would and did... after I crashed my 96 i30 I bought 98 i30
same here, had and 2 4th gen max's before mine now, but glad I went 5spd and white ext/blk int for sure!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SirPorl
I don't understand how you classify Nissan as 2nd tier manufacturer. They have sold a lot of cars so they must be doing something correct. I can understand why a nissan isn't in the same class as a TL......Maybe you should compare an Infinity to an Acura. That would be a more apples to apples. As far as Toyota goes, I just don't see the fascination. While toyota does make a quality auto, well most of the time, their styles seem bland compared to Nissan and Honda. Anyone else remember those god awful bubble camry's of the mid to late 90s? My friend had one, he loved that car. It was so great blah blah blah. What was he love with...the blazing speed from that 135hp inline 4? The not-so-amazing cornering aspect? That make ya grab the OSH in response to that major body roll. Nah I think it was the granny appeal of the car. Toyota doesn't seem to be really that innovative these days with their lineup...it seems like they are more into sitting back and watching the market and then seeing how they can slip their vanilla offerring into the mix.

Just my toyota hating,

SirPorl
I think some of the confusion in this post is that most people are not original owners who shelled-out north of 20k on the Maxima. If I got a 98 SE with every option, 5-spd, for the $3200 that it can be had for, and I drove it a year problem-free, when someone asked would you do it again? I'd say h***-yeah. $3200 is nothing for a reliable car. But the original owner lost roughly 19,500 in a mere 8 yrs. on the road, that's horrible. But we learn.

We can hate Toyota and Honda all we want, and say how ridiculously expensive a Civic is, and how the resale value makes no sense, but it is what it is. That's what happens when you're top-tier and have a reputation to match. Nissan is clearly above Mazda and Mitsubishi, but below Toyota and Honda, i.e. 2nd tier.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM

I would like to now change my vote to No.

I'd get a 2004 WRX imprezza, CF hood, FMIC, turbo upgrade, and a good tune.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Wild for Width

^^^ Under the same set of circumstances?

I guess I would go single-turbo converted Supra if we are playing that game.

Quick Reply: Would you buy your 4th Gen again?