4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Ball Joints FTL!!! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:06 AM

Alot of the cheap ebay stuff is from India/China = junk. I know because I work for an aftermarket suspension company.

Certain things you can buy from ebay, but for suspension items like ball joints and tie rods your better off with the OE. I wouldn't even buy some of the Moog stuff because I know where it comes from.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
this place is dead

ok, where does it come from then?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
ok, where does it come from then?
You don't want to know.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This sucks. I just put these same ball joints in March. I guess I just have to keep checking them and buy new OEM ones when they go bad.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Update: I don't know about world suspension, but I spoke with Ara from Arm-Can, the e-bay seller I purchased my control arms from, he had this to say:
Hi Jeremy, this is Ara at Arm-Can. We have had some problems with these arms and I have replaced or given a refund in most cases.
I actually tried the OE brand for the first time with these and some older model Maxima arms and quickly found out that they do have problems. I want to clarify one thing. The arms I sent you are NOT the same as the Chassis 1 Brand of which you have posted a picture on the Maxima board. I do not and will not sell the OE brand any longer after having these problems. All my other stuff on ebay is the Chassis 1 stuff which has been an excellent line for us for many years. The OE brand parts are carried mainly by World Suspension AKA bestsuspension on ebay.
As proof of my intention of selling quality parts at a good price I will be sending you a new pair of (chassis 1 brand) control arms. If you have already bought new ones then i will refund you the price of the arms (less shipping) and you dont have to return the arms. I would ask you to update the Maxima board of this situation and if you could tell the people on there that i will be offering a much better set very soon. The right aftermarket stuff is a very good alternative to the crazy dealer prices. But let me tell you this, the aftermarket is VERY tricky. That member "dralucard" is right to some extent when he says you would be surprised to know where the Moog stuff comes from. You would be even more surprised to know where the dealer parts come from in some cases. Also the dealers do not offer any type of warranty. At least with the aftermarket, you are somewhat covered. Again, I would like you to clarify to the board that I am not bestsuspension on ebay. my ebay user id is arm_can.

Sincerely....Ara.

There is a quality difference in auto parts. Click here to learn more about different grades, origin and pricing whether you buy from us or somewhere else.http://stores.ebay.com/Arm-Can-Auto-...nd-Prices.html

We have many more parts listed at our ebay store.
This just goes to show that you never know what the company will do until you contact them with a problem. It still sucks b/c I really don't want to go through the hassle of pressing my poly bushings into the new control arms again, but at least they are doing something to resolve my issue.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Maxima Owner

refer to my thread about Best Suspension
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 PM

so far i just read through 2 pages of people complaining about how badly their boots are ripped and ripping sellers for parts that i dont even think has even broken yet. has anybody who installed these parts even felt actual play? ever thought the tire wear could just be a problem with your alignment?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Maxima Owner

people have had failures....New tires and fresh alignment on my side kill ur theory....besides my 120k mile OEM boots werent ripped but still bad before i replaced them...and a torn boot will only lead to failure prematurely.....so brand new ones shouldnt have torn boots at all
Old 09-08-2006, 07:31 PM

i think after seeing some threads on the forums. imma stay away from ebay. altho my cheap broke *** needs to cut corners and save money some how
Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by jxkim
i think after seeing some threads on the forums. imma stay away from ebay. altho my cheap broke *** needs to cut corners and save money some how

it depends...Ebay is hit and miss.....i have bought some nice stuff from there that have given me no trouble...then there is this.....u just really need to find the name brand stuff....lesson....ebay ball joints suck....1 thing not to buy..

but for `150 its tough to pass it up u know....oh well lesson learned....
Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 PM

your def right ebay is a hit or miss and there are ****ty parts out there but i just made my reference on this thread. so far all ive seen are 0 failures a couple of torn boots a picture of a 4 month old ball joint with a torn boot but doesnt look like it was greased anyway. i just think some sellers catch bad reps from misconceptions. personally i stick with moog anyway.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:49 AM

Word to the wise:

There ARE decent OEM parts on eBay, BUT you have to do a little investigating first. If a part does not come from a company with an English name that you can easily find on Google, do not buy it.

If the seller cannot provide you with this name, do not buy it.

Lastly, ask around. i'm sure you will find others who have bought good parts on eBay (me, for one) and can vouch for a particular seller.

EXAMPLEs: I bought pairs of upper and lower control arms, tie rods, FTSB, and a rebuilt steering rack that worked flawlessly on my '92 Max until I sold the car 135,000 miles later.

I bought a great Y-pipe for my 98 I30 along with brake rotors, FTSB, performance plug wires, and a grounding kit.

For two different 1995 Integras, I have bought tie rods, steel rims, plug wires, rack boots, and other interior accessories w/ no problems.

I have also had my share with not-so-good stuff on eBay, but they were basically all electronic "toys."
Old 09-09-2006, 05:52 AM
this place is dead

Ok, anyone heard anything bad about these ball joints and tie rod ends?

http://www.suspension.com/nissancars.htm

you can also get the ES bushings from them as well.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by jasonv
your def right ebay is a hit or miss and there are ****ty parts out there but i just made my reference on this thread. so far all ive seen are 0 failures a couple of torn boots a picture of a 4 month old ball joint with a torn boot but doesnt look like it was greased anyway. i just think some sellers catch bad reps from misconceptions. personally i stick with moog anyway.

again there are reported failures...ones guys broke when he was backing up his drvieway....adn again a 4th month old ball joint shouldnt have a torn boot either
Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 PM

I just checked my LCAs and both have torn boots, they were installed 6months ago, where can I find this guy again?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:32 PM

Hmmm, definitely a hit or miss with ebay. See now I bought my complete LCA's from ebay about 2yrs ago and they are still good 60k miles later no cracks or anything like that..

BTW, dont I remember something about not replacing just the ball joints on our cars anyway and to get the entire LCA or was that just complete bs?

edit; just checked my invoice, it was the worldsuspension.net guys, go figure.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 PM

damn thats viscious...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:33 AM

yeah, from Nissan you have to order the whole control arm, but you can buy some replacement ball joints like Moog that can be pressed in and then held with a clip ring.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 AM

So does anyone know of a good ebay seller for lower control arms for a 1995 nissan maxima? Arm-Can seems like a respectable seller. Should I just totally forget about ebay and buy OEM? $300 vs $100 for the pair is awfully tempting for a broke college student
Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 AM

I have to check the ball joints i just got
Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM

dude.. u bought them on Ebay... what did u expect utter quality? lol
Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 AM

any tips?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 AM

How much are they from the dealer just for the ball joint I can get them pressed in.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:35 AM

allright, another orger named "accordingtou" told me about world suspension lca's and recommended them. he said he had them on his max for over a year with no problems so i got a set with ball joints and new bushings attached. i've had them on the car for about 4 to 5 months, for now no problems. i also got a whole new suspension set up 2 months later and i think had i not done that that the ball joints would probably be shot at this point because of the severity of wear on the original suspension. by the way, he is a mechanic.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 AM

Looking at the first picture, it is quite deciveing, something metallic pressing on the boot. Did that tear the boot?

BTW, I replaced my LBJs recently with these one -- Made in Japan.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1630720.html

I hope it does not go the thread openers way.. That would really suck since I spent 6 hrs on this exercise.

Last edited by Love_00_Max; 12-29-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added a line
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 PM

my ebay "worldsuspension" LCA is holding up without any problems after 2.5 years, even the paint is not rusting or flaking. The rubber boot on ball joint is not showing any signs of detoriation, unlike my NAPA drivers side half shaft cv boot which just split open and its spraying grease.

I have just purchased another LCA for my 96 I30, it should be here any day.
Those ball joint boots are easily torn or damaged during installation.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
1 LOW MAX

that sux bro i dont buy anything from egay
Old 01-05-2008, 06:07 AM
PM me for LCA's!

I bought LCA's from ebay, before anyone knew the problems with them. I did the install, then the car sat for a few months. I finally got around to getting an alignment and the shop told me the ball joint had popped out of the LCA. And yes, both dust boots had torn. I was going to posta poc I took of it, but cant seem to find it :/
Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Thats horrible, but I guess now we know, this should be faqd.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 PM

I've used trw from napa for my tie rod ends and they work great, when it comes suspension parts I'd usually buy name brand and at one of the big local auto parts chains such as NAPA or Car Quest or Autozone, Advance Auto.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
chassis 1 parts suck.....Moog or TRW are the way to go

Moog and TRW are very good.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 PM

I know this isn't a new thread, but thought I should relate my experience for those looking to replace their lower control arms. I purchased one from arm_can. It was shipped on time, and arrived on time. It was repackaged in a cut down generic box, but UPS had not damaged anything. At first glance I didn't notice, but before installing I inspected the ball joint boot carefully, and a finger squeeze revealed that the boot was cracked. No doubt it would split open within a few months and destroy the ball joint itself shortly thereafter. Unfortunately for me I already had the front end apart, and the old control arm removed, so I was SOL with an eBay vendor, and had to buy locally to finish the job. Getting a replacement boot from arm_can took a month of polite requests, often unreplied. A return for refund option meant I'd pay all shipping charges, both directions, even though I received a defective part for my money.

Lesson? Do not buy suspension parts from eBay vendors, whatever their listing might assert. Ara's claim about superior parts above is his sales pitch. Buy it if you want, but be warned.

I recommend you buy parts like these from a local source where you can inspect carefully before you pay, and return/exchange an item at no charge if you find a defect after purchase.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by iDuty
Lesson? Do not buy suspension parts from eBay vendors, whatever their listing might assert. Ara's claim about superior parts above is his sales pitch. Buy it if you want, but be warned.

I recommend you buy parts like these from a local source where you can inspect carefully before you pay, and return/exchange an item at no charge if you find a defect after purchase.
Well said. I have had nasty experiences on Ebay, not related to buying car parts but then other things... Ebay is not a place for decent people.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:56 PM

Crap, i bought LCAs from arm-can, i guess i better check to see if i have any issues.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
Damn, I just got my LCA's & endlinks installed. It's from an eBay shop but I picked up locally just outsite Toronto & the guy gave me a 1yr warranty.
FYI my mechanic had replaced just the balljoints a couple of years ago with MOOG, one started squeaking & the other was loose. So it's hard to predict with aftermarket stuff. I guess it may be worth it to get ripped off by the dealer for certain parts.

Fingers crossed here.
You cant buy the balljoint at the dealer, i tried. They said you have to buy the lower control arm. I had to buy mine from napa for 22 bucks. its been 6 months and no probs.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by heynow
Crap, i bought LCAs from arm-can, i guess i better check to see if i have any issues.
Yes, check the boots very carefully before you start the work. Squeeze the boot with your fingers at various angles to check for cracks.

I now suspect arm_can dragged my case out for so long so that my opportunity to leave feedback would expire. He doesn't want someone to expose the part defects in his feedback.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:04 PM

heynow, how did your LCAs turn out?

I looked through arm_can's long feedback history and read several neutral feedback comments, then checked the feedback he left for these people: With one exception, all nasty retaliation by arm_can.

It's a flaw in eBay feedback that you can't filter for non-positive feedback, to find out more easily how a seller handles imperfect transactions. Would you want to deal with someone who is unwilling to make good when they ship you defective merchandise?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Looking at the first picture, it is quite deciveing, something metallic pressing on the boot. Did that tear the boot?

BTW, I replaced my LBJs recently with these one -- Made in Japan.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1630720.html

I hope it does not go the thread openers way.. That would really suck since I spent 6 hrs on this exercise.
I replaced mine with the 555 parts also. No problems. Got mine from drivewire.com
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Ichiban King

How the hell has this thread transcended so many generations, I'd be surprised if Dubbya is still even around..
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM

so auto zone carries moog which u guys recommend? i was about to go with can-am but i got enough problems lol

Quick Reply: Ebay Ball Joints FTL!!! *pics*