4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Low range power loss with CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:03 PM

Low range power loss with CAI?

I was reading around these forums about cold air intakes and after some reading, I came to the assumption that although a CAI increases horsepower, some people experience a lower-end power loss as a result of this. Is there any truth to this?

I also read that with the installation of a y-pipe, the combination of the two can result in an even bigger horsepower gain. Is this true also? Would the installation of these two together, eliminate the lower-end power loss?

It's been a little while since I had a Maxima. One thing I do miss about it is the amazing community that surrounds them.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 PM

well people say there's low end power loss. i don't really think so, but i've had an air intake on the car so long i can't even remember what it felt like w/a stock air box. i used to have a cheapie autozone conical air intake, and just recently i upgraded to the injen CAI. i noticed some high end power increases from just the cone to the injen. i've heard the y-pipe regains low end torque, i just received my cattman, and i'll let you know once i put it on, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:10 PM

Stock Intake Ftw!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:12 PM
SHIFT_up

Had a CAI felt the power lose immediatly...10min later i had my stock back on.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 PM

^^^^^hahaha me too....
Old 10-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Stock Intake Ftw!!!
nope.. PRCAI + Stock resonator= FTMFW
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM

SOO... Even with a y-pipe, the loss is still noticable?

Now, what about headers? Noteably the Cattman headers, do these allow for a better HP gain than just a y-pipe and CAI?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Old Maxima Legend

what you could do supaneko is buy a "cheap as" ebay cai. then take the extra money and put your max on a dyno, then install the cai, and have another go of it. proof would be in the pudding then ! lol ! most dyno shops have dyno days or cheap days would be a perfect time to do it. other than doing something like that who knows ?

i loved the injen intakes looks but hated it, im just using the basic frankencar midpipe setup now. Like it much better.

Cattman headers are awesome, not positive on gains over a ypipe, some say 5hp ?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for an intake and header or y-pipe setup? I'd like to upgrade the intake if it doesn't result in any range of power loss.

I'm still curious as to whether or not the extra money required for the Cattman headers would actually warrant using those over a y-pipe that is several hundred dollars cheaper. Anyone?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Ichiban King

The fastest N/A 3L Maxima utilizes full cattman exhaust (Ie. H/C-B). I'm pretty sure Ceasar is the fastest N/A w/ USIM (could be wrong of course) and he has the same setup.

Intakes, well I can tell you what most agree is the best and thats either PRCAI w/ midpipe.. PRCAI w/stock resonator in lieu of midpipe.. or stock all together.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM

Yep, I feel there's a noticeable loss in low-end torque. Just try pulling out somewhere in 2nd gear, with the throttle at WOT and see how dragged down the car feels.

I have no measurable facts behind this statement, but it sure seems like it. I still have mine on though, after 3 years. Don't have the time to switch it back ;-)
Old 10-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Autos experience a lag with any type of intake besides stock.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:09 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

ive got the injen and mine feels fine. however after the oovi and supercharger its gonna feel better......only thing im havin problems with is the intercooler setup.....
Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by supaneko
Does anyone have any recommendations for an intake and header or y-pipe setup? I'd like to upgrade the intake if it doesn't result in any range of power loss.

I'm still curious as to whether or not the extra money required for the Cattman headers would actually warrant using those over a y-pipe that is several hundred dollars cheaper. Anyone?
As Apparition said, if you utilize all the parts from cattman (Header to Cat-back) you'll see the best gains. Also, the difference between the headers and y isnt that much I believe. Go with a PR style CAI. The ones on ebay are cheaper so if you dont like it you can take it off and sell it again. That with the y and cat back will be good. Then save for the headers if you really want them.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
Hey app,i got the Catmann CAI about 3 days ago and havent had a minute to put it on yet...I had posted that i had heard from reputable sources(you,lol) that the PR or Catmann/stock resonator was a very good option. Most agreed while others said it was foolish to buy the Catmann as I coulda just bought a ebay look-alike,I looked at some the links they sent and they looked okay but I wasnt sure. Anyway my boy wants to buy one for his 97 andwas wondering should he kick out the bucks like i did to get the Catmann or should he get the cheaper ebay look-alike?Any real difference? I have no regrets getting the Catmann as I really like the look of it and I felt they gave me a decent deal on the other parts i ordered too,but if the ebay one is as good,my boy would rather kick out the 60 or dollars for that one,nut only if its as good,if not gonna get the Catmann
Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by Godson
Hey app,i got the Catmann CAI about 3 days ago and havent had a minute to put it on yet...I had posted that i had heard from reputable sources(you,lol) that the PR or Catmann/stock resonator was a very good option. Most agreed while others said it was foolish to buy the Catmann as I coulda just bought a ebay look-alike,I looked at some the links they sent and they looked okay but I wasnt sure. Anyway my boy wants to buy one for his 97 andwas wondering should he kick out the bucks like i did to get the Catmann or should he get the cheaper ebay look-alike?Any real difference? I have no regrets getting the Catmann as I really like the look of it and I felt they gave me a decent deal on the other parts i ordered too,but if the ebay one is as good,my boy would rather kick out the 60 or dollars for that one,nut only if its as good,if not gonna get the Catmann
well tell your boy I got a ingen for sell
Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 PM

Ok well don't buy the injen...ever. What a waste. And also, you bought a $200 intake because you liked the look better? Wow, what a waste as well. If your boy wants in intake then tell him to get an ebay one. Just make sure its not a short ram and get a k&n.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM

I've never known what stock felt like =( I bought the car with a stillen short ram, replaced it with a PRCAI, feels better and my low end is still just as quick
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

What do intakes do? Should I get an Injen or Stillen? I want a supercharger but was wondering if the PR CAI will still work with the Stillen S/C?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Made in Taiwan

Nmexmax, you're not helping...

supaneko, there's 2 kinds of cold air intake kits made for our cars: the injen style which targets the cone filter right behind the radiator fan. the placeracing style which requires you to drill a hole through the fender well by the battery, and the cone filter is placed inside the fender well.

Placeracing style is what I've gotten, I've experienced low to mid range gains, but it feels a little loss up top. That's my experience. Intakes are cheap mods, just buy one and try it out. It's not going to empty your bank. I wouldn't get the injen style CAI simply because it sits right behind the radiator fan, and that's just dessipated heat heading into the filter. Ha! that just knocks off the purpose of being cold air, doesn't it?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by GodFather
I would have never guessed.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by GodFather

supaneko, there's 2 kinds of cold air intake kits made for our cars: the injen style which targets the cone filter right behind the radiator fan. the placeracing style which requires you to drill a hole through the fender well by the battery, and the cone filter is placed inside the fender well.

Placeracing style is what I've gotten, I've experienced low to mid range gains, but it feels a little loss up top. That's my experience. Intakes are cheap mods, just buy one and try it out. It's not going to empty your bank. I wouldn't get the injen style CAI simply because it sits right behind the radiator fan, and that's just dessipated heat heading into the filter. Ha! that just knocks off the purpose of being cold air, doesn't it?

This is the only guy who got it right.. That's all I'll say.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21 PM

*LOL* I'm still quite a bit confused.

If I was going to get a CAI, it would definitely be a PR one. Though, I have seen a few on eBay that (maybe) route the filter into the fender. Of course, if there is a loss in power in one of the ranges, I just don't want to do it.

As far as the headers go... My plan was to upgrade to Cattman headers, then follow with a hi-flow cat, then Cattman b-pipe, and continue to use the stock muffler (I want power but not the noise). Would these be an alright setup? Is the hi-flow cat. even necessary? Would there be much difference in using just the Cattman b-pipe and stock muffler or should I go "all-out" with the Cattman catback?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 PM

Ok well..
1. You wont get a PR intake since they arnt made anymore. You will only lose a little high end power anyway.
2. Get a y first not headers.
3. Do not start a mod with a highflow cat. They do absolutely nothing for the car.
4. Get a new b as well as the y.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

I had a Stillen intake (not CAI). Switched back to stock, the torque gains were unbeleivable. Stock box FTW!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:40 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by Apparition
does this give you as much torque as being fully stocl... cause when i put in my short ram a about a year ago, i felt a lil gain but now i dont feel a thing...my girl and i bought a 95 se and when i press the pedal it pushes me back i my seat... and that how my car used to drive..but now the intake just makes a bunch of noise... it still pulls but it dont push me back in my seat like it used to..... i think i am goina back to stock
Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 AM

ok...dont give me abunch of newb crab but this is a newb question i know... can any of you just explain to me what part is wich. i baught the ebay cai and k/n filter. i installed with the filter behind the radiator. felt good at first. good sound goin past 5000 rpms. noticed that it wasnt pullin as good top end so i pulled the long part off and put the filter on the end of the short part and MAF. got alittle better. replaced knock sensor and got way better. should i put the cai back on or just still with wehat ive got now.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by skweaky
ok...dont give me abunch of newb crab but this is a newb question i know... can any of you just explain to me what part is wich. i baught the ebay cai and k/n filter. i installed with the filter behind the radiator. felt good at first. good sound goin past 5000 rpms. noticed that it wasnt pullin as good top end so i pulled the long part off and put the filter on the end of the short part and MAF. got alittle better. replaced knock sensor and got way better. should i put the cai back on or just still with wehat ive got now.

you have terrible grammar and spelling..
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Maxima Owner

i have a cone filter on....only because i cleaned my K&N and i need my car before the filter ws dry and havent had time to put stock air box on which i miss dearly
Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 AM

too early in the morning when i posted that. and yes i am from southern alabama.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by skweaky
Well if you got the right intake you should have drilled a hole through the fender wall for the filter....if you read the forum at all and even the posts in the thread you'd realize that if you dont have the intake drilled through the fender you will not gain power. Drill or use your stock box.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:49 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
i have a cone filter on....only because i cleaned my K&N and i need my car before the filter ws dry and havent had time to put stock air box on which i miss dearly
so you prefer the stock over the CAI...right?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 PM

well FWIW i had my injen wai installed today(got a hell of a price) and i do notice a difference in power. and of course it sounds SICK. I think i am going to modify it a bit, i am going to add another section of piping so it re-locates the filter farther away from the rad.