4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Radiator Fans Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:02 AM

Radiator Fans Not Working

I've been toying with my Maxi recently, fixing things here and there. I had mentioned in the Noobie post that it seems to be running hot while showing a temp in the middle of the gage. I was running a couple of tests and noticed that my fans aren't turning on. Is this a fuse/relay problem? or is it a thermostat problem?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:45 AM

It can be a few things, the fans are turned on when a sensor in the engine reaches a certain temp. The ECM will energize a relay which turns on the fans. The relay should have 2 hot leads, 1 lead which is grounded by the ECM and one that goes to the fans. Find the relay and check for those powers, then cross the power feed with the wire going to the fans and see if they power up. If they do, do something to "make the fans come on" and make sure the ECM terminal is grounding when it should. If they don't turn on crossing the wire, disconnect the fans and make sure you are getting power to the plug, if so, check and make sure the other side is ground. If both check out down there, then the fans are having a problem. If the ECm is not grounding, check continuity between the ECM and that relay, if that is good, cross the coolant sensor and see if you can trick the ECM into powering the fans.

Fixing this problem is not too difficult, just be carefull and be sure to check for everything. You may even just want to start at the fans, disconnect that connector and see if you are getting power when the fans are suppose to be on. That is the fastest way to see whats going on. Also try to find a wiring diagram, that will save you a lot of time and guess work. good luck
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 AM

I see, I'll check that out. I'll have to see if I can locate a wiring diagram. I failed to mention another related issue that i have been having. It seems to be rejecting coolant that I put into the reservoir tank. It's empty (when cold) and I put in coolant, then I notice that i end up leaking it out or losing it on a drive. I haven't been able to find the leak location yet. During my search for leaks is when I noticed that the fans weren't turning. Anyway, thanks for the starting point.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 PM

Anyone got any other info on this? Any diagrams out there? I'm coming home and want to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 AM

Hey check your PM
Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

So, how do you know for sure you're running hot?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have noticed that my radiator is spraying everywhere, i assumed it was the cap so i bought one of those pressure release caps, but it still seems to spray anti freeze eveywhere. help!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima13
I have noticed that my radiator is spraying everywhere, i assumed it was the cap so i bought one of those pressure release caps, but it still seems to spray anti freeze eveywhere. help!
Is it cracked? When you noticed it was sparying the first time, you probably should have looked into it. Not a smart idea to run the car when you know you're spraying fluid in the bay.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well when i took it to a nissan dealership they told me it was the cap, so i changed it. i mean i looked into it but it seemed fine, i couldnt figure out where it was leaking from. and for some odd reason, im not loosing any anti freeze, its still full. so im stumped
Old 11-26-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
So, how do you know for sure you're running hot?
are you just gonna answer my question with a question... lol.

the fans NEVER turn on and I lose coolant, which means that I should be running a little hot. Unless I have a super-cool running engine with no aftermarket parts... which is extremly unikely. Getting the fans to engage and stopping my coolant spray is what I am trying to troubleshoot.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have the same problem with my car....i temporarily solved it by disconnecting the plug that reads the temp of the coolant....its on the driver side of the engine bay im not exactly sure what its called....but as soon as i unplugged it both fans turned on instantly....but the only down side is they never turn off....hence the "temporary" fix.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 PM

bump, still in search of the answer.

any pics with suggestions would be great. thanks guys
Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Turn your AC on ands ee if they come on.

Could be cooling fan motor, fan motor harness, fan relay.

There are 2 fan speeds that are triggered by different scenarios.

Off, low, high

With A/C off,

Off = coolant temp 201*F or below
Low = 203 - 219
High = 221+.

When the A/C is in the on position, the fans are always on 'low' regardless of ECT, hence why I suggested what I did.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:04 AM

Not wanting to hijack this thread but have a similar question and observation.

So they go to high at 221? I know my temp gauge gets up to half way and stops unlike my American cars that seem to waver between 160 and 200 which is half way. On a Maxima, what temperature should we get alarmed at? I checked my coolant levels yesterday and they seem fine and even checked the the coolant with an antifreeze tester and it said I was good down to -21 so I know the mixture is fine too. I do know that my fans do go from off to low to high, just didn't know how long they should run at high.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:38 PM

After I cleaned and re-connected all the terminals on the relays and connectors, it turns out that the fans work when A/C is on(vey nice). So now to diagnose why I can't keep coolant in there. No matter how much coolant I put in the reservoir, it is always empty after a 1/2 hour drive. I do have a slow leak that i am trying to get to and plug, but i shouldn't be losing that much. What's the deal with those pressure release caps? Should I test mine? How do you do it?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 PM

Since you have a leak why not just replace the radiator anyways? There's a good group deal. Then make sure you bleed the cooling system thoroughly, and see where that gets you...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 PM

leak isn't in the radiator... its somewhere near the alternator.... (driver side, middle engine area, on the bottom) does that spell disaster?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by kaneda_77
leak isn't in the radiator... its somewhere near the alternator.... (driver side, middle engine area, on the bottom) does that spell disaster?
You need a new water pump.
Fans work, problem solved.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

^^

If it's leaking in that area, you need a new water pump.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM

i see, thank god there is a faq on how to do that. i'll let you know how that goes once i recover from my other toy spending from this holidy season. thanks fellas.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radiator fan- is it a fuse or did you have a wiring diagram?

Originally Posted by mikem29ss
It can be a few things, the fans are turned on when a sensor in the engine reaches a certain temp. The ECM will energize a relay which turns on the fans. The relay should have 2 hot leads, 1 lead which is grounded by the ECM and one that goes to the fans. Find the relay and check for those powers, then cross the power feed with the wire going to the fans and see if they power up. If they do, do something to "make the fans come on" and make sure the ECM terminal is grounding when it should. If they don't turn on crossing the wire, disconnect the fans and make sure you are getting power to the plug, if so, check and make sure the other side is ground. If both check out down there, then the fans are having a problem. If the ECm is not grounding, check continuity between the ECM and that relay, if that is good, cross the coolant sensor and see if you can trick the ECM into powering the fans.

Fixing this problem is not too difficult, just be carefull and be sure to check for everything. You may even just want to start at the fans, disconnect that connector and see if you are getting power when the fans are suppose to be on. That is the fastest way to see whats going on. Also try to find a wiring diagram, that will save you a lot of time and guess work. good luck
is it a fuse or is there a wiring diagram?
help.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lara Flook
is it a fuse or is there a wiring diagram?
help.
Welcome aboard!

Good for you for searching first, they like that here!

The best way to get the right help is to describe as well as you can, what you're experiencing and the facts you know! Also, start your own thread.

At least one of the sharp crew here will ask the right questions to hopefully walk you down the right path to success.

I hope this helps!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:12 PM

There are fuses for the fans. They are located under the hood, between the battery and the fender. The cover labels them RAD FAN 1 and RAD FAN 2.

As these cars are getting old, it is possible that both fans have gone bad. When the car is off, take hold of the fan blade and wiggle it front to back. There should be absolutely zero play. Try spinning the fan blade. It should turn with almost no effort.