4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

white smoke coming from exhaust at start??

Old 07-09-2001, 11:22 AM
I aim to misbehave.

This probably isn't a Maxima-specific question, but there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this board, so I figured I'd ask:

The other day, I was running some errands and I stopped off at home for a few minutes. I parked my 95 GXE in the driveway and let it sit there for maybe 20 minutes while I was inside. When I came out and started the car again, I noticed that a substantial amount of greyish-white smoke was flowing from the exhaust. This only lasted for maybe 5-10 seconds. I drove the car around for a while and nothing seemed out-of-the-ordinary, so I figured it was just one of those weird car things that happen sometimes . I had no problems for almost a week, and then today I was going out to lunch and when I started my car... there was the smoke. I don't think it lasted as long this time, but it was there nonetheless. Does anyone know what this could be? I don't think I've noticed any change in performance, and there are no leaks or anything under the car. I haven't driven it hard or backed into any curbs or run over anything, so I doubt anything got knocked loose underneath the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas before I bring it to the shop to have it looked at.

Speebs
Old 07-09-2001, 12:34 PM

wow thats strange, the only time i ever had smoke is when i would go on vacation for a couple weeks, so the car wasnt driven during that im, and it would smoke a little on start but thats about it
Old 07-09-2001, 12:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

White smoke

DBM will be able to explain in more detail. It's actually oil slowly leaking by your into the combustion chamber. It only smokes for a few seconds because it is quickly burned off. Then incline of your car might have made it move faster... (I think the oil gets there by the valves wearing out over time, but correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 07-09-2001, 01:09 PM
I aim to misbehave.

yey

Excellent news, thanks (sarcasm ) Is this an expensive repair?
Old 07-09-2001, 01:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it isn't a huge amount of smoke and isn't very often, I wouldn't worry about it. Check your oil more often because it's slowly burning away. As far as price to have it fixed it would be pretty pricey to have someone do it. I believe you have to machine the valves smooth and the guides. Like I said, Daniel B. Martin is the right one to ask for details...
Old 07-09-2001, 02:18 PM

Daniel B Martin should answer

I have the same problem, my max is 1997 GLE with 40k miles, and it happens once a while, especially when its cold outside and only ats tart up while i drive for first 1-2 min after it is gone. so i should worry about it? i never race car, just drive regularly w/o suddent start or stop.
what daniel b martin will say?
Old 07-09-2001, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: White Exhaust Smoke...

The problem is most likely that you are burning oil. This could be because there is a gradual oil leak as MadMax95 says, but it could be as simple as changing the oil. Do you remember the last time it was changed? If it has been changed recently, then you probably should take your car to a place such as Jiffy Lube (no need to waste money on a dealership for something like this - its not a major thing at all). Just trying to help.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is it normal

Is it normal to smoke well not smoke like exhaust particals come out when you first start it and its cold out like 45 and below...water build up ???

Old 07-10-2001, 05:39 AM

Oil, coolant, or brake fluid

Originally posted by Speebs
This probably isn't a Maxima-specific question, but there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this board, so I figured I'd ask:

The other day, I was running some errands and I stopped off at home for a few minutes. I parked my 95 GXE in the driveway and let it sit there for maybe 20 minutes while I was inside. When I came out and started the car again, I noticed that a substantial amount of greyish-white smoke was flowing from the exhaust. This only lasted for maybe 5-10 seconds. I drove the car around for a while and nothing seemed out-of-the-ordinary, so I figured it was just one of those weird car things that happen sometimes . I had no problems for almost a week, and then today I was going out to lunch and when I started my car... there was the smoke. I don't think it lasted as long this time, but it was there nonetheless. Does anyone know what this could be? I don't think I've noticed any change in performance, and there are no leaks or anything under the car. I haven't driven it hard or backed into any curbs or run over anything, so I doubt anything got knocked loose underneath the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas before I bring it to the shop to have it looked at.

Speebs
Several possibilities come to mind: the smoke might be from ...
- engine oil
- coolant
- brake fluid

Engine oil.
This is more often noticed as blue smoke.

Coolant.
This is usually noticed as constant white smoke. Coolant may find its way into the combustion chamber as the result of a blown head gasket or a cracked casting. If possible, stand behind the vehicle and sniff this white smoke. Water vapor is odorless but antifreeze has a characteristic sweet aroma.

Brake fluid.
This is a rarity, but I cite it here in the interest of completeness. The master cylinder may leak at its rear seal, and the leaked fluid pools in the power brake booster. Sooner or later the booster diaphragm develops a leak and the pooled brake fluid is sucked into the intake manifold and burned in the combustion chamber.

Keep an eye on all three fluids.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:07 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Thanks for the help....

I smelled it the first time it happened since the wind was blowing back toward the front of the car, and it smelled like... well... exhaust. At least I think it did, I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the smell. It was definitely white and it definitely had an odor. I'll wait to see if it happens with any greater frequency before I bring it in.

Thanks again.

Speebs