4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Cefiro leaking after waterpump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

96 Cefiro leaking after waterpump replacement

I got a brazillian left hand drive 96 cefiro/maxima. the car started leaking oil from the passenger side after i took it to a mechanic to replace the waterpump, after the car came back it started leaking quite a bit on my garage, ive owned this car for 6 months now and ive been using it every weekend, it never leaked any kind of oil before i took it to the repair shop, so i took the car back to the repair shop and they said the leak was coming from the rear main seal, it had nothing to do with the repair they did and i would have to pay them 1000$ for them to remove the transmission and check what the problem is exactly. if the leak was coming from the rear main seal wouldnt it be leaking from the drivers side?

Old 11-27-2023, 12:41 PM
JvG

Rear main seal would leak in the center drivers side area.

The process or replacing the water pump involves removing two access covers above the water pump.
They cover the timing chain tensioner and also chain access. The repair process involves applying oil resistant sealant between those covers and the engine.
Evidently this was not done properly.

The shop should fix this for you for free.

I doubt that the rear main seal started leaking at exactly the same time as the water pump repair.
looks like they are trying to scam you.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:18 PM

They're trying to scam you, rear main seal is where the transmission meets the engine and usually starts as a slow drip. You have better odds of winning the lottery than replacing a water pump and your rear main seal pissing oil within the same week

As above, they likely didn't seal the timing cover properly or they might have replaced the crank seal incorrectlly and that's leaking now, but this should be covered by them, They messed up something ****ing around in there
Old 11-28-2023, 01:16 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by chrome91
They're trying to scam you, rear main seal is where the transmission meets the engine and usually starts as a slow drip. You have better odds of winning the lottery than replacing a water pump and your rear main seal pissing oil within the same week

As above, they likely didn't seal the timing cover properly or they might have replaced the crank seal incorrectlly and that's leaking now, but this should be covered by them, They messed up something ****ing around in there
The crank seal and main timing cover are not disturbed when replacing the water pump. It does involve removing the two cover plates. One for the pump. The other for the chain tensioner.

the rest of your comment is correct
Old 11-28-2023, 01:22 AM
JvG

Luana......Liana.......

please watch a You Tube video. It will show you where the two leaking covers are. They did not apply sealant correctly.

YT search term : 1995 to 2001 Nissan Maxima Replace Water Pump.

Show the video to the mechanic. Tell him that you know what they did wrong, and you want it fixed.

if they continue to talk about the rear main seal tell them that you KNOW they are not telling the truth.