4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

License Plate Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM

License Plate Lights

After putting the the red/clears and clear bumper lights this weekend, i noticed that one of my license plate bulbs is out. I went to unscrew the screw, and due to 8 long winters, the bolt began to crumble.

I was able to stop so that the light housing is still there but I want to replace the bulb. I know its an 194 bulb and i was wondering if anyone knew what size the screws are so that I can get new screws before attempting this project.

I remember a post a few months ago about someone with the same problem...I think that I will be able to save getting a new bracket because I only need the screws. Anyone who knows what size they are thanks a ton!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:49 PM

If no one replies, take out the other one, go to a shop, buy two new screws.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:52 PM

make sure you buy stainless steal if you want them to last. Cres 304 should last almost forever.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:10 PM

i had the whole plate corrode out. my mechanic got one for about $20 w/ new screws not sure from where tho.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Originally Posted by magic_max
make sure you buy stainless steal if you want them to last. Cres 304 should last almost forever.

It's stainless steel, not steal as in thief...lol

I used self tapping screws to secure mine... tho
Old 04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Originally Posted by tbombs32
i had the whole plate corrode out. my mechanic got one for about $20 w/ new screws not sure from where tho.

Maybe teh stealership
Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Neo Raven456
If no one replies, take out the other one, go to a shop, buy two new screws.
I cant, all 4 are rusted nice and good...ready to crumble if you touch them. I think that the harness is alright, just the screws are completely corroded. If no luck, here I may call the dealer to see if they have the size....sucks i was just there today and didnt think of it....
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tbombs32
Also, who is your mechanic...Im from Wrentham and could use someone who I could trust to work on my car. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 AM

http://designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=5

DEI "lite-N-botz"

Sorry no night pic, still working on getting a digi.
These took me about 10 minutes to install and are great. I bought the domed ones. They look good, work well, and eliminated that whole bracket that rusted off. They provide plenty of light to the plate and I have had no problems.I will be replacing the whole rear imp. bar this summer. Mine is rusted out bad from 9 years of Ohio winters. The license light bracket was just a stepping stone for the corrosion. These helped buy some time instead of replacing the light bracket and the bar.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:19 AM

I posted about the same issue a few months ago, except I had the screws and the entire bracket crumble in my hands. Gotta love winters in the NE!

I ended up buying a few extra harnesses w/ bulb holders from local JY's and did some experimenting.

For a temporary solution, I dremeled the bulb holders open, replaced both bulbs and used some silicone to reseal them. I then wedged the bulb holders sideways in between the plate and the bumper. While it was not attractive in the slightest, it did it's job and got me through the winter.

While I was using that one, I played around with another one of my spare harnesses. I ordered a 9" flexible white LED strip from here. I then cut off the bulb holders and soldered the leads from the LED strip to the harness (with a 12v voltage regulator in between for good measure).

For mounting, I used some double sided tape on the LED strip and mounted it to the inside of the bumper cover, angled down towards the license plate. So far it's working great. Now it's making me realize I need HID's though; after looking at the light produced by the LED's it makes my headlights look Big Bird yellow. haha

You can't actually see the light strip, my camera just doesn't know what the F to do with reflections. It was kind of a stupid little mod, but ah well. Got some practice with the soldering iron!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went to change the lights too, and the screws were so rusted that they just stripped as soon as I tried turning them. I actually ended up taking my dremel's cutting bit and going straight through the center of the screw, essentially making it a flathead....grabbed a screwdriver and it came right out, since the metal underneath was still fine. The salt on the surface must have murdered it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Anyone know the screw size tho?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by nearthisbridge
While I was using that one, I played around with another one of my spare harnesses. I ordered a 9" flexible white LED strip from here. I then cut off the bulb holders and soldered the leads from the LED strip to the harness (with a 12v voltage regulator in between for good measure).

For mounting, I used some double sided tape on the LED strip and mounted it to the inside of the bumper cover, angled down towards the license plate. So far it's working great. Now it's making me realize I need HID's though; after looking at the light produced by the LED's it makes my headlights look Big Bird yellow. haha

You can't actually see the light strip, my camera just doesn't know what the F to do with reflections. It was kind of a stupid little mod, but ah well. Got some practice with the soldering iron!
Wow, thanks for posting! What you did with the Oznium LED strip is exactly what I've had in mind for a few months now. It's good to hear that someone's done it successfully. Do you have any other tips/photos for the install or a writeup?

Oh yeah, for anyone considering buying a new OEM bracket, don't. I paid about $30 from a discount online Nissan parts dealer (would cost more at your local dealer) and that only included the flimsy metal bracket, none of the attached pieces! Complete waste of money and time.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
jojo98maxima

Originally Posted by VQuick
Wow, thanks for posting! What you did with the Oznium LED strip is exactly what I've had in mind for a few months now. It's good to hear that someone's done it successfully. Do you have any other tips/photos for the install or a writeup?

Oh yeah, for anyone considering buying a new OEM bracket, don't. I paid about $30 from a discount online Nissan parts dealer (would cost more at your local dealer) and that only included the flimsy metal bracket, none of the attached pieces! Complete waste of money and time.

on what parts dealer did u go online i need this part

Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Chassis Freak

worldpartsexpress.com is generally the cheapest, and they're quick and reliable.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
jojo98maxima

worldpartsexpress.com is generally the cheapest, and they're quick and reliable.

thanx a lot dude

Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Actually I should be thanking you, you're the one that gave me the LED strip link in my old thread!

I didn't really think to document the process, I do still have a spare harness I could use though...give me a day or two to work out my starting problem (let's hope it's the magical grounding issue!) and I'll whip something up.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Chassis Freak

Ah, I thought that might have been you. Well thanks anyway, now I just need to find time to do it myself. No worries, you gave a pretty good description already. A couple of close of photos would be great, if you have time.

Can you buy the 12V voltage regulator at RadioShack or where?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem, but my wires and bulb housings were good, so i just made a new one at work while running my machine, drill and tapped some holes, used some other screws to hold the lights in and put it all in place by lunch. It wasn't the prettiest setup outside the car, but the second i put it back in It looked stock.

I'll draw a diagram up for those of you that want to make some, or if someone has a perfectly good working one that would like to photograph and measure for all of us, that would be much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Chassis Freak

any updates?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Not yet...I went to the dealer yesterday to get the part number...and I am in the process of finding the right size. I may just take the screw out and bring the remnants of the screw to the hardware store and get a new one.

I would like to do a LED strip or some "ultra-white" light for the license plate lights, its just I have no other LED's or HIDs on my car so it would look odd.

I was hoping to do it sometime this week (spring break week) but its friggin rain for the next 6 days in Boston. I'll prob just pull it into the garage and do it in there tho along with putting in my new intake