4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cant take the squeeking anymore!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Cant take the squeeking anymore!!

yea so, my car squeeks from the engine bay on a hot warm day. In the winter I had no problems with it squeeking at all. Now that it's warm and hot it squeeks like a mother. It gets louder as the speed increases. Anyone experiance this? cant take it anymore! thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check the tightness of your Serpentine belt. Check the FSM for the play the belt is suppose to have. Plus it's just easy to rule out if it's not the belt. Becuase that's really the only thing that would be turning. But also check the AC bearings, alternator, power steering pump. Here's a simple way. Take a 3/8 inch extension (longer than 12") and hold it to your ear then to random parts of the engine bay and you can hear things ALOT better. It just sounds like its multiplied. Helps out alot.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your idler pulley too. I just had to replace mine. Seriously irritating. Belt squeal and a constant squeaking that made my car sound like a total p.o.s.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 AM

check the tightness on the belt and also check the bottem side of it. if there are cracks its time to replace it with a new one.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:17 AM

ive changed the belt and change. It only happens when the car it in motion. when its a a full stop it goes away...if that helps
Old 05-13-2007, 10:24 AM

EXACT SAME ISSUE:

The squeaking - intermittent, like as if a wheel is turning and something is rubbing. the faster i drive the faster the squeal, it starts at around 40 km/h and disapears when i go faster than about 70 km/h. only happens in motion never while standing.

doesnt happen every day so its super hard to daignose, only happens on hot days. during the winter months (nov - april) it was completely gone now it has resurfaced again

its ANNOYONG its killing me, what is it ?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:09 AM

sounds like you need some belt dressing to me
Old 05-13-2007, 01:38 PM

why is that that it only happens while driving ? even when i am in neutral and i rev the engine (auto) there is no squeaking,

this should narrow it down for the experts, it is either some kinda drive belt or something in the suspension rubbing or some washer coming loose.

ALL help is appretiated
Old 05-13-2007, 05:39 PM

it has nothing to do with my suspension, I just changed it, and its still makin the noise.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Um brakes? You put enough anti-squeal on the back side of them, or maybe it's your warning tab rubbing, meaning it's time to do them.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 PM

had my pads replaced like 2K ago, the same squeaking happend with the old pads so thats out of the question

cmon people We need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant take the squeaking anymore i am going INSAAAAANNEEEEE.............
Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 PM

wd40 dude....
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 AM

really ? on what ? ure a genius, u discovered america
Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 AM

i sprayed wd40 on the bottem of my springs and it stopped squeaking for 2 days. then it wore off and the squeaking is back. im thinking those stupid padding things at the bottem of the struts are worn out. which would be more work than i want to do to stop the squeaking. i sprayed wd40 only on my front endlink bushings and it still squeaked. so thats how i ruled those out.

andrei...it sounds like your belt could be the culprit to your problem. if you inspect the underside of it and there are cracks you need to replace it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 AM

can u please point me in the right direction? which belt am i looking for, i never dealt with belts so this is noob to me.

i only know of one belt neat the PS fluid resevoir, i looked at it with a flash light, its the nissan belt so it might be the original one ( at 213.000 KM ), but its looks perfectly fine i dont see any cracks or even wear and tare.

Edit: just looked at it again there are two belts, the smaller one is the nissan belt and looks fine, the larger one does not say nissan on it (i am assuming it was replaced before) and this one did have like 2 little tiny cracks on the inside of it. is that enough to be troubled by and is that making the squeaking?

the thing is that the belts are always spining would they not always make the noise ?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You may want to check your sway bar bushings. The only reason I say this is because I've had the same annoying squeaking sound for the past 5 months. I finally poked around and found that my right sway bar bushing was almost pushed out. It was still in there, but it was so deformed and messed up that it created enough play for the bar to move when its not supposed to. I ordered a new one, put it in, no more squeak.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM

the past 5 months was winter and my squeaking dissapeared in the winter and reapeared this spring (just like last fall when i had it)
Old 05-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
Edit: just looked at it again there are two belts, the smaller one is the nissan belt and looks fine, the larger one does not say nissan on it (i am assuming it was replaced before) and this one did have like 2 little tiny cracks on the inside of it. is that enough to be troubled by and is that making the squeaking?

the thing is that the belts are always spining would they not always make the noise ?
were there only 2 little cracks? or were there 2 little cracks all the way around the belt? and no it doesnt always squeak. belts are kind of funny. they can be prefectly fine and squeak when they are wet. or they can be junk and sometimes not squeak.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:24 AM

no cracks all around just two tiny cracks in one spot in the edge of the belt, it SEEMS to me now that i have never heard it squeak in the rain in ANY weather EVER. if that helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM

hmm well than ide say its probably not you belt yet. but ide keep an eye on it because youre probably going to have to change it shortly.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM

thanx its good that i looked at it.

its hard to tell where its coming from since it only happens sometimes while i am driving. with both open windows i cant even tell which side its coming from.

suspension wise - what could be rubbing > what about randomly spraying some WD40 or some Rust protector stuff inside under the strut where the joint boot is ?

not on the brake pads tho HAHA
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM

I dont want to, but I have to ask...

is it possible that you dont hear it when its cold or raining, cus your windays are up? LOL... had to ask!?!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM

okay, lets clear this up. the squeeking ONLY happens when the car is in motion, on a hot day. In the winter it NEVER squeeked at all. I hear it coming from my engine bay. PLUS I have changed my suspension a few weeks back, so I know that is not the issue. when the car is not moving at all, the squeeking is done, and even at start up, no squeek what so ever. only when it is in motion. Hope that helps the experts a little bit.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jattdemax
okay, lets clear this up. the squeeking ONLY happens when the car is in motion, on a hot day. In the winter it NEVER squeeked at all. I hear it coming from my engine bay. PLUS I have changed my suspension a few weeks back, so I know that is not the issue. when the car is not moving at all, the squeeking is done, and even at start up, no squeek what so ever. only when it is in motion. Hope that helps the experts a little bit.
Exactly same thing here EXACTLY i just never touched my suspension yet, it happened the same way before the winter, i mean i know i am crazy but i am not THAT crazy...

Originally Posted by D-Twelve
I dont want to, but I have to ask...

is it possible that you dont hear it when its cold or raining, cus your windays are up? LOL... had to ask!?!
good question, yes i do hear it with the windows up, it just does not happen during winter or rain or cold (i say never when less than <15 Celcius) its that loud, its not just some little tiny squeal, like an old sofa may make, its like as if a metal round wheel is not that round and rubs on something at every revolusion

EXPERTS PLZZZ HELP
Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 AM

my guess would be a bearing on one of the pullys...
gotta take the belt off and spin them one at a time, and see if one sounds or feels rough...

if not you only waste a few mins, and no $... a good place to start...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Worn Lower Balljoints probably aren't helping you... but your springs/spring insulator sleeve(s) are definitely worn, should nip that in the bud if its the springs since they are the constant supporter of the majority of vehicle weight and their lack of support will aid in wearing out other suspension components and/or CV joints.

FYI
I worked on a VQ30 that had an idler pulley that was rusted in place and the bolt that it rides on was bent because of that. The pully wouldn't freewheel or move vertically to adjust tension at that point. If this is your situation, buy a new pulley if you can. If you're broke, take it off the timing cover and see if you can clean it up and bent it back as best you can, maybe it will work for you.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:34 PM

okay so, i thought the squeeking was coming from the engine bay, i was wrong. its coming from the driver side wheel well. ANYONE PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:54 PM

does it squeak BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE A/C on on HOT DAY"S???? if it is ittermittent it could be simply because you dont have the ac on one day and do another.... just a thought, maybe powersteering pulley could be struts though or a suspension component but its hard to say without knowing what you mean by 'squeek'<<<<
Old 05-26-2007, 03:12 PM

my SAME issue happens randomly on hot days, like today it happened like ONCE when i got off the HWY and into a plaza, then the rest of the day i was driving around HWY/City and nothing.

its not struts springs cause it doesnt not change sounds when going over bumps.

Imagine this: if ure on a bycicle and u hit the curb with the front wheel really hard, the wheel is not straight anymore, it still spins but if u look at it fro mthe front it looks like an 8, so when it turns the rubber rubs on the frame at every revolution, so the faster u go the faster the rubbing and thus the sounds gets faster.

thats the sound we are BOTH describing. we have th eexact same issue and its killing me
Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 PM
PM me for LCA's!

You might try looking at the dust shield for the brake rotor. It could be rubbing in places or have something trapped causing the noise. It may not make the noise in the winter due to less heat expansion.

If you rule that out then i'd move on to checking the wheel bearing and axle areas.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 PM

i had a squeak when goin over bumps, replaced my sway bar end link bushings cause i realized they were dry n cracked and the squeak went away. so you could try those. only $13 from the dealer and tool me maybe 30-45 minutes if that to change them.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SNOMAX
You might try looking at the dust shield for the brake rotor. It could be rubbing in places or have something trapped causing the noise. It may not make the noise in the winter due to less heat expansion.

If you rule that out then i'd move on to checking the wheel bearing and axle areas.
thanks, i think I will start at the rotors, and work from there. I havent turned my AC on yet this spring, so I know its not because of that.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

To rule out the belt i would spray some belt dressing on it.
If it helps but then the noise comes back then replace the belt.
The belt will start at about $10 and if there is any sign of wear, cracks, or a sharp edge then just replace it.
If your belts snap on the freeway then your are going to be ticked.
Just gets some new ones as regular maintenance.
Your can check out the How-To on the FAQs
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by willard00
i had a squeak when goin over bumps, replaced my sway bar end link bushings cause i realized they were dry n cracked and the squeak went away. so you could try those. only $13 from the dealer and tool me maybe 30-45 minutes if that to change them.
i have the same problem,only squeeks when i go over bumps.im in the process of changing out the endlinks too.i'll let you guys know when its done.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by SNOMAX

^ good thing to check but because it's been doing this for so long and one of you did brakes and still squeaking I'd doubt it.
So andrei you're saying that the 'bicycle' sound is simply what the squeak sounds like, or that it actually is intermittent as if its the wheel rotating and squeaking on something, changing tempo as speed increases/decreases?
Also because this squeek only seems to happen in warmer/dry climate I'd definately point at control arm bushings/sway bar bushings.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Don Mazimo
To rule out the belt i would spray some belt dressing on it.
If it helps but then the noise comes back then replace the belt.
The belt will start at about $10 and if there is any sign of wear, cracks, or a sharp edge then just replace it.
If your belts snap on the freeway then your are going to be ticked.
Just gets some new ones as regular maintenance.
Your can check out the How-To on the FAQs
I'm pretty sure we've ruled out anything to do with belts this sounds like a footwork issue.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Black Lion

just got my swaybar endlinks changed today and all front end squeeking gone! get them changed and i bet your problem will go away. i also had my belt changed but that was a different noise than the front end squeeking. good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 AM

I've also had a squeak when going over bumps.. Got the swaybar endlinks changed, and all is well.