4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!!: my sunroof will not close....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 06:13 AM

Yesteray i was cruising around running some errands. Being that i live in oklahoma and that its been crazy hot i had the windows down and the sunroof open. I go to close the sunroof and realize that the sunroof is not budging from its open position. I wait till i get home and manage to pull the sunroof out enough to almost completely close it. I play around with it more and find that i can open the sunroof after i manually close it, but nothing happens if i try to close it using the button. Does anyone know how to completely close the sunroof manually? Im afraid that its going to rain and there is no room in the garage for my car. In my other car there was a way to manually open and close the sunroof by using a crank of sorts located in the trunk. Is there something like that in this car or will i be forced to visit the dealer as is hinted at in the other posts about this i read. I really dont care about fixing the roof now because im pretty sure a repair would be very labor intensive and expensive. I just want it closed so i can not worry about rain and wash my car like i planned to yesterday.
thanks
doug
Old 07-17-2001, 07:01 AM

Sunroof electrical information

Originally posted by blkI30t
Yesteray i was cruising around running some errands. Being that i live in oklahoma and that its been crazy hot i had the windows down and the sunroof open. I go to close the sunroof and realize that the sunroof is not budging from its open position. I wait till i get home and manage to pull the sunroof out enough to almost completely close it. I play around with it more and find that i can open the sunroof after i manually close it, but nothing happens if i try to close it using the button. Does anyone know how to completely close the sunroof manually? Im afraid that its going to rain and there is no room in the garage for my car. In my other car there was a way to manually open and close the sunroof by using a crank of sorts located in the trunk. Is there something like that in this car or will i be forced to visit the dealer as is hinted at in the other posts about this i read. I really dont care about fixing the roof now because im pretty sure a repair would be very labor intensive and expensive. I just want it closed so i can not worry about rain and wash my car like i planned to yesterday.
thanks
doug
The sunroof motor relies on power which flows through fuse #12 (7.5 amps) and fusible link F (30 amps).

The sunroof relay is located behind the plastic kick panel just to the left of the driver's feet.

Your sunroof will open in the normal way. That indicates the fuse, fusible link, relay, and motor are all operating. Therefore the switch is Suspect Number One. Test it with a meter. General information is found in the Chilton repair manual (page 6-6) and the Haynes repair manual (page 12-2).

If the ignition is on and the relay is working terminal 7 on the motor (yellow/red) has +12 volts at all times. When the switch is operated it completes a circuit by providing ground to one of four motor terminals:
#3 (green) for slide closed
#1 (yellow) for slide open
#6 (white) for tilt up
#4 (blue) for tilt down

Some owners report successful rejuvenation of a misbehaving switch achieved with spray tuner cleaner.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:41 AM

Re: Sunroof electrical information

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The sunroof motor relies on power which flows through fuse #12 (7.5 amps) and fusible link F (30 amps).

The sunroof relay is located behind the plastic kick panel just to the left of the driver's feet.

Your sunroof will open in the normal way. That indicates the fuse, fusible link, relay, and motor are all operating. Therefore the switch is Suspect Number One. Test it with a meter. General information is found in the Chilton repair manual (page 6-6) and the Haynes repair manual (page 12-2).

If the ignition is on and the relay is working terminal 7 on the motor (yellow/red) has +12 volts at all times. When the switch is operated it completes a circuit by providing ground to one of four motor terminals:
#3 (green) for slide closed
#1 (yellow) for slide open
#6 (white) for tilt up
#4 (blue) for tilt down

Some owners report successful rejuvenation of a misbehaving switch achieved with spray tuner cleaner.
To manually close it pull the sunroof switch panel out (it comes out easily) and then use a thing that's found in your tool bag to close it. It's in the manual. If you dont have one, look here (http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/pdfs/...san-Maxima.pdf)

As far as opening and not closing- it may be the case that the cable in the sunroof assembly is broken. then you are screwed- the new assembly is ~$800, the one from the junk yard is ~$300, plus labor.

Good luck
Old 07-17-2001, 08:03 AM

Re: Re: Sunroof electrical information

Originally posted by Roman-dude

(http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/pdfs/...san-Maxima.pdf)

Dude this link is dead! could you post this pdf file as downloadable?
Old 07-17-2001, 08:49 AM

You may have the same problem I just had. Can you hear the motor going but the sunroof will not close. If so it sounds like one of your cables came loose and you will need to reattach it. I would not go to the dealer they told me I needed a new track because my springs were busted( FYI ther are no springs in the sunroof to begin with)They wanted $1800 to fix it. it only took me a couple hours of labor.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by SLICNIC
You may have the same problem I just had. Can you hear the motor going but the sunroof will not close. If so it sounds like one of your cables came loose and you will need to reattach it. I would not go to the dealer they told me I needed a new track because my springs were busted( FYI ther are no springs in the sunroof to begin with)They wanted $1800 to fix it. it only took me a couple hours of labor.

SLINIC

I'm having the same problem you're having. Was one of your sides going faster than the other? My ride side seems to be "off track" according to the dealership, but I feel I can fix it myself. What did you do to fix yours? How do you reattach the cable? Thanks in advance!!!!

-MDM
Old 07-17-2001, 08:46 PM

i had the same thing happen to me the problem was one of the clips broke off the track to the sun roof cover and it prevented the sunroof from opening all the way,, luckily it happen when the car was under warrenty.good luck hope you fix the problem..
Old 07-17-2001, 10:20 PM

How long had you guys had your cars when your respective sun roof(S) busted? With experience from my mom's '90 SE and a boat-load of 4th gen posts about busted sunroofs, Im just worried that mine is a ticking time-bomb. My warranty expires in December, and if mine does happen to go, Id rather it happen when Im still covered.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:18 AM

My problem happened about 1.5 months ago. I was able to close it manually, but have been reluctant to open it since then because I'm afraid I won't be able to close it shut. --SLICNIC any word on how you did it so I can try to fix it this weekend?

-MDM
Old 07-20-2001, 10:34 AM

I paid a local sunroof shop an hours labor ($65) to close my sunroof...Will i be able to tilt my sunroof safely? I know not to slide the sunroof because of the broken cable, but I am not sure if i should try to tilt. I am afraid that the tilt feature might not work properly and I will have to pay more money to get it closed again.
thanks
doug
Old 07-20-2001, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by blkI30t
I paid a local sunroof shop an hours labor ($65) to close my sunroof...Will i be able to tilt my sunroof safely? I know not to slide the sunroof because of the broken cable, but I am not sure if i should try to tilt. I am afraid that the tilt feature might not work properly and I will have to pay more money to get it closed again.
thanks
doug
i would not try it (unless you have extra $65)
Old 08-19-2001, 03:41 PM
96 GREEN SE

You can not fix the sunroof, the best thing to do is find one in ajunk yard and do it you self. All the dealer is going to do is get you car dirty. Its not hard if you need help let me know and i'll walk you through it.

Dave

ps if you have to pay some to close your roof you are just stupid and lazy

Old 08-19-2001, 06:32 PM

Sunroof replacements..

My sun roof went dead on me about 3 months ago .. I had a friend hook me up with an install, and a junkyard ripped assembly. It's been working fine ever since. We took the assembly from the chopped roof out pretty easily, in less than an hour .. Putting it back in however could prove to be a pretty long job (at least 3-5 hours)

For the work involved, I wouldn't take it to a dealership, because they quoted me something like $800 + Tax (canadian) for the assembly. I paid $450 (again, canadian .. bout 300 US) for the junkyard one, and the install was free cause I knew the installer well heh.

Putting it back together isn't hard, you just have to be really patient with it. It has all sorts of fun stupid snap-on parts that you can easily break if you use too much force (similar to the clearence lights, and door handle inserts -- both I've broken heh)
Old 08-20-2001, 07:41 PM

How to..

96 Green SE, can you email me the how-to's on how you did it....thanks

-MDM

Originally posted by 96 GREEN SE
You can not fix the sunroof, the best thing to do is find one in ajunk yard and do it you self. All the dealer is going to do is get you car dirty. Its not hard if you need help let me know and i'll walk you through it.

Dave

ps if you have to pay some to close your roof you are just stupid and lazy