4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which 5 speed tranny's will fit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 AM

Which 5 speed tranny's will fit??

My 5 speed 97 SE has the dreaded diff bearing leak. Instead of trying to fix it, I think its easier just to replace it. Which 5 or 6 speed transmissions will fit with little or no modifications?? Will an 01 2.5 alty transmission work?? I also heard that a Spec-V 6 speed might able to bolt on. This car is my DD and I dont want it leaking all over the place and seizing up on me.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM

What is the "the dreaded diff bearing leak"? Is it something besides an axle seal?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Whatchyou say?

hhhhahahahaahaha ..... our 5spds! GGGRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Maxima 5spd has multiple bearing issues really. The input shaft bearing on my 5spd is talking to me now ... telling me to fix her, but not just yet I say. The Diff bearings are the carrier berings that often get pitted from too much pre-load from improper shimming. (not anything we did ... the factory or last mech to rebuild did it) It's a common problem really ... unfourtunatly.

A 6spd (Max and I believe Altima are the same) will fit, but it's a different shift set-up, different mounting, and there is the timing ring and all that noise. It's a JOB and a half is what I am saying ... especially for your DD.

My recomendation would be to rebuild your 5spd yourself (FAQs) and know it's done right. You could just get another 5spd ... but you'll have the same issue(s) in no time at all ... and you'll wonder why you didn't just rebuild the first time.

Hard to say exactly what to do ... but I am gonna rebuild .. and I am not paying someone to do it for me ... so I can take it back to them again and again with issues .... silly mechanics! lol
Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
No more Maximas...

5MT 95-01, 6MT 02-06 with some fairly large modifications.

I don't believe any of the 4 banger trans' will mount up to the VQ, from what I've seen Nissan tends to use a seperate bellhousing pattern for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder motors. IIRC the Spec V trans is identical internally, but with a different bellhousing.

EDIT: Honestly, if you're putting in a new trans, might as well pay the extra hundred or so for a VLSD out of an i30t VLSD or a canadian max.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM
<3's the all motor section

i30 vlsd tranny ftw
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 AM

The only problem I see is a leak. I think it is just an axle seal based on your description (unless I'm missing something). I would just put in new seals without pulling the tranny.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 AM

It could be two things if it is leaking,
one the axle seals
two the bearings

I've done work on my trans couple of times so I have to say it isn't that bad of a work.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by JtzMax
My recomendation would be to rebuild your 5spd yourself (FAQs) and know it's done right. You could just get another 5spd ... but you'll have the same issue(s) in no time at all ... and you'll wonder why you didn't just rebuild the first time.
While I'm a proponent of DIY jobs, you will need some tools and patience to do this job. I've been rebuilding maxima trannys for a while now, and I use a depth micrometer to determine shim sizes. I have found that it works even better than a dial indicator for sizing the shims.

The link in the FAQ to motorvate only shows about half of what's involved in a rebuild. However it does show the diff carrier shim measurement very well, which is required to deal with the diff bearing problems.

Dave
Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Whatchyou say?

So ... Dave are you saying it's not really a DIY type of a job ??? I am really hoping it is .. cause I need to rebuild mine soon.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Maintenance Monster

It ain't no water pump replacement, that's for sure.

It's doable, but you'll need probably a week of time and some tools to do it. I got started doing this DIY style. The better your tools are, the less agonizing it is and the higher quality your result. So if you're trying to do this on the cheap, you will be taking some additional risk as a result. Definitely get a tranny shop to pull the old bearings from the axles and diff.

Dave
Old 07-31-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
While I'm a proponent of DIY jobs, you will need some tools and patience to do this job. I've been rebuilding maxima trannys for a while now, and I use a depth micrometer to determine shim sizes. I have found that it works even better than a dial indicator for sizing the shims.

The link in the FAQ to motorvate only shows about half of what's involved in a rebuild. However it does show the diff carrier shim measurement very well, which is required to deal with the diff bearing problems.

Dave
Yeah, I read the motorvate how too and it looked more work than I wanted to get into, plus I don't any of the measurement tools. I really don't want to spend a week rebuilding it when I can swap a tranny out in a day.

I replaced the axle seals twice already. It started leaking when I replaced the axle itself with a ripped cv boot.

5MT 95-01, 6MT 02-06 with some fairly large modifications.

I don't believe any of the 4 banger trans' will mount up to the VQ, from what I've seen Nissan tends to use a seperate bellhousing pattern for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder motors. IIRC the Spec V trans is identical internally, but with a different bellhousing.

EDIT: Honestly, if you're putting in a new trans, might as well pay the extra hundred or so for a VLSD out of an i30t VLSD or a canadian max.
Do you know if the vq bell housing bolts up to a 4 banger or a spec-v tranny? Also will the shifter line up or will there need to be some modifications?? a VLSD would be nice but I dont want to hunt down one locally, Im really trying to keep the cost down.

From what I understand the 95-97's are the worst with this problem, am I correct?? are the 98-99 as bad??
Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Whatchyou say?

sorry, not trying to hi-jack ur thread mate

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
It ain't no water pump replacement, that's for sure.

It's doable, but you'll need probably a week of time and some tools to do it. I got started doing this DIY style. The better your tools are, the less agonizing it is and the higher quality your result. So if you're trying to do this on the cheap, you will be taking some additional risk as a result. Definitely get a tranny shop to pull the old bearings from the axles and diff.

Dave

I have a shop that will pull the bearings for me, not sure how much yet. I have decent tools, my dad was in the trade for a long time and I have them now. :P I also have a book that covers all Nissan trans (auto and man) for the most part. A friend of mine got them from his father who used to do nothing but trans work. I don't have a micrometer though ... I believe I can rent one. About shimming ... where would I get the shims I need? TIA!!!

Jim