Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   How do you know when it's time to change your starter (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/41424-how-do-you-know-when-its-time-change-your-starter.html)

95maximase 07-26-2001 07:07 AM

My car has just begun to start hesitating when I try to start the car. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes i've got to hold the key in place longer to get the car to turn over. the battery looks good. No acid leaking. how did you know when to change yours?

BSwithTF 07-26-2001 08:05 AM

Could be the starter.

Originally posted by 95maximase
My car has just begun to start hesitating when I try to start the car. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes i've got to hold the key in place longer to get the car to turn over. the battery looks good. No acid leaking. how did you know when to change yours?
My wife's starter went out on hers ('96 Maxima SE) about a month ago. When she turned the key, nothing happened. All electrical things worked fine but the car wouldn't turn over. If you waited a little bit, then it would work. Sounds somewhat like the same problem you've got.

JJW95SC 07-26-2001 09:53 AM

I replaced my starter at about 61k miles and my understanding is that it's common for 4th gen starters to go bad around this mileage. It might pay to have the starter checked out.

Jim

blizz20oma 07-26-2001 10:07 AM

Is this a recurring issue, as in, every ~60k miles? I know on the maxi I'm probably getting, they had the starter and O2 sensors replaced. If I get it, will I have to keep an eye on those two things any more?

JamesAvery 07-26-2001 10:09 AM

Mine also completely woundnt turn over at all, and it was instant- before it dies, it turned over fine

Originally posted by 95maximase

Sunrise 07-26-2001 01:14 PM

i have the same problem

I have a 98 with 56k miles, and I just changed the spark plugs, 3 of them WERE NOT WORKING! and my car still wont start.

Im guessing its the starter, ill go in for a checkup soon.

BUT! I called a nissan dealer, asked how much it would cost to replace the starter...and it costs $364 parts+labor+tax! WOWY! i hate starters...

Sexima 07-26-2001 01:34 PM

how much would this be?
changing the starter?
i think i'm gonna have those problems soon too
98 79k on it

BSwithTF 07-26-2001 01:47 PM

$365!!!!! What the *#$%@$# !

I guess thats dealers for you. I got a starter from O'Reilly for around $150 and changed it myself. There's 2 bolts that hold it to the engine and 1 or 2 that hold wires on on the end of the solenoid. My explanations on doing things are absolutely horrible unless I can use my hands so I'm not even going to try to do a post on how to change a starter. There's got to be someone on this board who can give a very thorough description on how to do this.